Spousal KITAS to KITAP conversion (also applicable for Spousal SosBud to KITAS).

dafluff

Cager
Having just completed this procedure in July 2016, in Denpasar, Bali, I thought I'd outline the step-by-step process for the forum. I would note that the steps are basically the same for SosBud to KITAS, except that in that case you don't need an Integration Statement nor an SKTT.

First visit to Imigrasi
Go to the Kantor Imigrasi that oversees the area where your spouse's KTP is registered. You should ask them for "Formulir untuk konversi KITAS ke KITAP ikut suami/istri". You should get the following forms:
1. Pernyataan dan Jaminan Suami/Istri (Sponsor statement of responsibility)
2. Surat Permohonan Konversi (Request of Conversion Letter)
3. Perdim 24, 25, 26, 27 (These are 4 different forms, but they are very similar)
4. Surat Pernyataan Integrasi (Integration Statement)
5. Curriculum Vitae (A short summary of your life, work, education and visa status in Indonesia)​

Other than the Integration Letter, the other forms are all the same as you have used already to do SosBud to KITAS, or KITAS extension. So if you kept copies of those (you did, right?), you can just refer to those, updating with any new information as necessary. The Integration Letter is a declaration that you intend to follow Pancasila, Indonesian constitution, laws and customs.

On your own, you will also need to come up with:
1. SKTT (Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal)​
2. Buku/Akta Nikah (Marriage certificate)​
3. Surat Lapor Nikah​
4. KK Sponsor​
5. KTP Sponsor​
6. Passport Photos 2x3, 3x4, 4x6, 2 each, on red background​
7. Your passport and copies of all non-empty pages.​

All the above should also be the same as you already did for SosBud to KITAS. Additional comments on the above items:

1. You receive the SKTT from Catatan Sipil, and if you followed procedure, you would have had this done after every KITAS extension previously. It is a letter (or card) showing your address and information analgous to a KTP.
  2. Marriage certificate. If you Muslim, then you should have a Buku Nikah from Kantor Urusan Agama, all other religions will have a Akta Nikah from Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry). Marriages from abroad will need the original as well as translation and proof of registration at the local Catatan Sipil. I think the proof of registration is called a Surat Keterangan Bukti Pelaporan Peristiwa Penting di Luar Negeri.
  3. A letter stating that your marriage has been registered with your home country. My embassy was pretty relaxed about it, and asked me to write what I wanted the letter to say, so I did, and they printed it out on embassy letterhead and had some official sign it. Your mileage may vary.
  4. KK and KTP should list the status of your sponsor as "Married".

Second Visit to Imigrasi (May 30th)
With all the documents above, go to Imigrasi again. Bring copies of originals as well, in case they want to check it but in my case the official at the counter didn't bother. If everything checks out, he will hand you a receipt, and will tell you that an official will visit you at home for the interview. Previously, they could als give you an appointment to come in and do the interview, but I think they only do at-home interviews now. This is the first bottleneck time wise, because the officials usually wait for a good time to visit, especially in Bali where they usually wait until they have a few interviews and do them all in one day. In my case, the interviewers made it to my place about 2 weeks after I dropped of the application.

Interview (June 14th)
A list of interview questions have been posted in our forum here. I don't think I was asked a single one of those. In my case, two of the officers stopped by around 10 am. After a confirming a few basic facts, we found out that his daughter and I went to the same high school in Denpasar (albeit something like 20 years apart), and at that point the interview was basically over. He said he will take care of all the questions when he gets home, and just had me and my wife sign at the paperwork. He also took pictures of me and the wife and kid (older one was at school). He also tells me to go back to Kantor Imigrasi in 3 work days.

Third Visit to Imigrasi (June 20th)
You are handed your entire folder to photocopy. If you are curious, you can peek into it and see the report they wrote out for the KanIm chief to approve your conversion. They apparently just pulled my file and reprinted the one they had from my SosBud to KITAS conversion from years earlier, as it still has my old address. Return the originals and copies, then the counter person will hand out your file to be delivered to KanWil, which is the office supervising the KanIm. I note that in the report for the KanWil they actually had my correct address. Now in Denpasar these two offices are maybe 1 km apart, so I did not mind doing the delivery. I do not know how they handle it in other locales where the KanWil could be in a different city. I heard that in that case they will use interoffice mail, in which case it could take some time.

Visit to KanWil (June 20th)
KanWil is straightforward. The officer there checks your file to make sure the lower office did everything correctly. Then I was offered 2 possibilities: pick up the file from KanWil in 3 working days, then mail it yourself to DitJenIm, or just wait for the interoffice mail, and just check with KanIm in about one month. Doing the first route, could potentially save you 1-2 weeks he said, while doing the latter means less hassle, but you have to wait for the interoffice mail which usually only gets mailed once they have a few files together. Since I was not in a hurry, I chose the 2nd option.

Fourth Visit to Imigrasi (Aug 1st)
I waited a little bit longer than the recommended 30 days, but good news, checking his computer, the guy at the counter gave me a thumbs up: approval has been granted from DitJenIm. He asks if I want to do the photos and fingerprinting today, and I said yes. Got number 67 and the counter shows they are serving number 24. I readied myself for the long wait. The KanIm in Denpasar has two food vendors in the back, so I decided to check it out for breakfast. They had good nasi campur, and with a teh botol, total: Rp 20,000. When I came back from breakfast, the counter was already in the high 40s. That was faster then expected. I overheard a guy say that the target is 20 photos every 30 minutes. Efficiency! Anyway, after photo and fingerprinting, they give you your receipt back and tell you to come back in 3 days.

Final Visit to Imigrasi (Aug 4th)
Pick up passport. You should check for 3 things:

1. Your KITAP stamp, should stay "Permanent Stay Permit", with an expiration date of 5 years,
2. Your MERP, with an expiration of 2 years
3. KITAP card.

Once you have all 3 things, you are done! Don't forget to go and get your KTP Orang Asing with Catatan Sipil next!

Total fees:
Regular KITAP Rp 3,500,000
2 Year MERP Rp 1,750,000
Photo and Biometric Fee Rp 55,000
2 Meterai Rp 12,000

Total Rp 5,317,000 and not a Rupiah more!

Total time:
Since application was accepted: 66 days. However, I did wait longer than the requested times a couple of times, did not mail my file to DitJenIm and Lebaran was smack dab in the middle. So could've been maybe 20 days faster or so.

Last edited:
Nice work, DaFluff. I'm putting you up for a promotion. How would you like to be my assistant? :thumb:

Great report Dafluff. Doing it all myself right now. Trip to Jakarta to drop off envelope on Monday.

Excellent post dafluff - great to get an update on the procedure in Bali, many thanks. I have a follow up question regarding the KITAS process. The other forum (marcus) advocates the sosbud to KITAS conversion route, as opposed to entering with a VITAS (for which the ITAS has already been approved in principle by Jakarta). Any thoughts on why this would be preferable (apart from avoiding the trip to the Indo embassy abroad to get the VITAS stamp)?

Excellent post dafluff - great to get an update on the procedure in Bali, many thanks. I have a follow up question regarding the KITAS process. The other forum (marcus) advocates the sosbud to KITAS conversion route, as opposed to entering with a VITAS (for which the ITAS has already been approved in principle by Jakarta). Any thoughts on why this would be preferable (apart from avoiding the trip to the Indo embassy abroad to get the VITAS stamp)?

The biggest benefit of SosBud to KITAS conversion is not having to leave Indonesia for VITAS. However, if you didn't enter on SosBud sponsored by your WNI spouse, you will have to do a visa run either way.

The process is basically the same, except for the VITAS route you do most of the paperwork before the WNA partner enters Indonesia.

For the SosBud to KITAS route you only need minimal paperwork before entering Indonesia, then you can start the conversion while in Indonesia, where it may be easier to update any necessary paperwork for the WNI spouse and/or obtain letters from your embassy in Jakarta.

So it depends on each individual circumstances: if you are already in Indonesia on SosBud, you probably want to use the conversion route. If you are abroad and your Indonesian spouse is in Indonesia and/or has all their paperwork up-to-date, then no reason not to go straight to VITAS.

Great description! (I added it to the stickied directory without editing so much as a single punctuation mark.)

I think it is safe to assume that all of the alphabet soup will be familiar to anyone who has reached the stage of converting to a KITAP. There was just one acronym that I didn't know - what does KK stand for?

Great description! (I added it to the stickied directory without editing so much as a single punctuation mark.)

I think it is safe to assume that all of the alphabet soup will be familiar to anyone who has reached the stage of converting to a KITAP. There was just one acronym that I didn't know - what does KK stand for?

Kartu Keluarga. Probably not a bad idea to write it out. I mean KITAS->KITAP people probably know all the Indonesian acronyms by now, but SosBud->KITAS people may not.

dafluff, you needed 6 photos for your Kitas->Kitap in 3 different sizes?

We also did not have to give photocopies of all​ nonempty passport pages.

I only got my SKTT for my sosbud--->KITAS conversion. For all of my KITAS conversions, I never provided my SKTT as they never asked for it. Currently, I have an SKTT that's been expired since 2012.

I'll try the KITAS--->KITAP conversion without it and see what happens. I don't mind getting it if it's needed. I'm used to getting useless pieces of paper and paying people for it. Oh, i guess if i need it, then it's not that useless....really just dont understand why i need it i guess.

Having just completed this procedure in July 2016, in Denpasar, Bali, I thought I'd outline the step-by-step process for the forum. I would note that the steps are basically the same for SosBud to KITAS, except that in that case you don't need an Integration Statement nor an SKTT.
[a]. Curriculum Vitae (A short summary of your life, work, education and visa status in Indonesia)

On your own, you will also need to come up with:
...​
6. Passport Photos 2x3, 3x4, 4x6, 2 each, on red background

[c] Your passport and copies of all non-empty pages.
All the above should also be the same as you already did for SosBud to KITAS. Additional comments on the above items:
[d] A letter stating that your marriage has been registered with your home country. My embassy was pretty relaxed about it, and asked me to write what I wanted the letter to say, so I did, and they printed it out on embassy letterhead and had some official sign it. Your mileage may vary.

Interview (June 14th)
[e] A list of interview questions have been posted in our forum here.

Visit to KanWil (June 20th)
KanWil is straightforward. The officer there checks your file to make sure the lower office did everything correctly. Then I was offered 2 possibilities: pick up the file from KanWil in 3 working days,

dafluff, you needed 6 photos for your Kitas->Kitap in 3 different sizes?

We also did not have to give photocopies of all​ nonempty passport pages.

Mine was Bandung, West Java.

a - I was never asked to provide a CV
b - I was not asked to provide any photos in many sizes- just I think 2 passport sized- and no regulation as to background colour
c - Copies of pages with my personal information on and last visa (ITAS) info
d - I was not asked for that - nor was I asked to show any letter of non-impediment to marry (we were married outside of Indonesia & registered at Catatan Sipil on returning to Indonesia & that document they wanted)
e - The interview questions were for me getting my ITAS - not ITAP

Nice write up though & it just highlights the discrepancies between areas when doing what should be a standard process.

They might still want the blue book if people still have them, they took mine & the photocopies of it .
The blue book seems to be a bit of a lottery some have it some don't & if you don't they don't seem to care much either way.
I still have mine, it was handed back to me once my visa was completed- possibly because I have an address change in it?

This is fantastic! Thank you for outlining this. One question...is it possible to apply for a KITAP when you have a working KITAS? I'm currently on a KITAS for my job. Would I need to have a spouse KITAS before I apply for the conversion? I'm assuming I can't have both a working KITAS and a spouse KITAS at the same time, but I'm really not sure. Can anyone advise?

They might still want the blue book if people still have them, they took mine & the photocopies of it .
The blue book seems to be a bit of a lottery some have it some don't & if you don't they don't seem to care much either way.
I still have mine, it was handed back to me once my visa was completed- possibly because I have an address change in it?

Mine was handed back to me about 2 years ago, and it has not left the drawer I stashed it in since, ie. all subsequent KITAS renewals and KITAP conversion did not require this book.

This is fantastic! Thank you for outlining this. One question...is it possible to apply for a KITAP when you have a working KITAS? I'm currently on a KITAS for my job. Would I need to have a spouse KITAS before I apply for the conversion? I'm assuming I can't have both a working KITAS and a spouse KITAS at the same time, but I'm really not sure. Can anyone advise?

You can not have 2 KITAS's at the same time. I am not sure if you can make a work KITAS to spousal KITAP conversion in one application. It would be best to inquire directly with the KanIm in your area.

You can not have 2 KITAS's at the same time. I am not sure if you can make a work KITAS to spousal KITAP conversion in one application. It would be best to inquire directly with the KanIm in your area.

Ok, thank you.

Mine was handed back to me about 2 years ago, and it has not left the drawer I stashed it in since, ie. all subsequent KITAS renewals and KITAP conversion did not require this book.

My very recent experience on getting a Kitap renewed in a new passport.
I handed our blue books to the agent, as requested, and they were handed back with the passports. I questioned the purpose of the blue book as they are no longer issued and did not get a satisfactory answer.
Seems like, typically, they don't even know their own rules and procedures.

My KITAP from KITAS has been very smooth sailing. Took paperwork to my KamIm, found out they gave me the wrong paperwork to begin with but filled out the new right there. One day later got a Home Visit, that was a Wednesday. Said to pick up and pay on Friday. Waited until Monday to pick up because traffic is always bad on Fridays in that area. Had interview with the Local Immigration chief with no questions concerning my residency except, "how long have you lived here." The rest was just chat. Back downstairs, paid. Got an envelope for Wilaya, took that the 4 blocks and they processed it while we waited. maybe 30 minutes. Took back to KamIm the paperwork and while we waited another 30 minutes, they gave us an envelope for GeneralIm in Jakarta. We wanted to mail it but were told that the return sometimes/often seems to get lost. That was completely understandable since we never get mail sent to us.

The following Monday took paperwork to Jakarta and around lunch time dropped it off at GeneralIm for approval. Were told it could take 8 days for approval but they would call when ready in case it was earlier. Wednesday at 8:10 AM received a call that it was ready to pick up. So, a day and a half for approval. Picked up Wednesday and we didn't return home until Saturday. Monday, yesterday took to KamIm and had pictures and prints taken. Said to pick it all up on Thursday since Wednesday is a holiday. All in all, pretty painless.

I have always been happy with the service I get from my Immigration office. I shudder when I read what some go through and am happy I am were I am. After the KITAP is picked up, the following Monday will go to Catatan Sipil where the story is always different and not so professional. They are the type that like to ask for the cash but this time in, I was informed by a rather higher ranking AGO official that as soon as any government official wants money with no cashier or receipt offered to call him immediately and the request will go away immediately. This, I will be doing.

The Integration Letter is a declaration that you intend to follow Pancasila, Indonesian constitution, laws and customs.

So... whats this look like?

Dengan hormat,
I intend to follow Pancasila, Indonesian constitution, laws and customs.

Terima Kasih,
(Nama)

I just about have all my papers together to start the process here in Tangerang. SKTT appears to be expired as of 2012...will see what happens without it. But this statement letter i want to get right.

So... whats this look like?

Dengan hormat,
I intend to follow Pancasila, Indonesian constitution, laws and customs.

Terima Kasih,
(Nama)

I just about have all my papers together to start the process here in Tangerang. SKTT appears to be expired as of 2012...will see what happens without it. But this statement letter i want to get right.
I'll send you mine thru FB chat.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819