Extended SIX weeks more

It is all a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation. No matter what is done, someone is always going to be pissed off.
Can't satisfy all the people all the time.

But on the other hand you can't take the piss with all the people all the time, at the certain moment they will be fed up with it..

In my opinion...the openings limited to small warungs, street restaurants, etc won't really help the economy at all. I think covid will spread more in the local markets, street restaurants as usually they don't follow the health measures anyway. Meantime, the economy will suffer more as the middle incomes/shop owners/restaurant/business owners can't pay their employees and will force to send them home.

Should've just done at least the 25% capacity all around (malls, etc).

Last night they were reporting in Bandar Lampung it was extended to Aug 8. I guess will wait until later today to see if that has changed to the 2nd.

I think that the 8th is the real goal but they only wanted to announce it a week at time to cut down on the impact of announcing 2 weeks at a time. I guess we will find out for sure on the 2nd.

In my opinion...the openings limited to small warungs, street restaurants, etc won't really help the economy at all. I think covid will spread more in the local markets, street restaurants as usually they don't follow the health measures anyway. Meantime, the economy will suffer more as the middle incomes/shop owners/restaurant/business owners can't pay their employees and will force to send them home.

Should've just done at least the 25% capacity all around (malls, etc).

I think the warungs/restaurants depending on the location are a factor of the rise of covid. It is easy for the task force to patrol the main streets and busy areas, but what about in the kompung(sp) areas? I doubt the task force is able to patrol those areas at the same time as shutting down certain roads.

Can't satisfy all the people all the time.

But on the other hand you can't take the piss with all the people all the time, at the certain moment they will be fed up with it..

Agreed and part of the piss taking is the start, stop, start, stop routine of the PSBB

You could add the under reported numbers as part of taking the piss too as it plays a factor in how serious people will take the situation(not just for covid). You aren't going to get 100% accuracy(remote areas, previous health issues that also played a factor in death).

I think that the 8th is the real goal but they only wanted to announce it a week at time to cut down on the impact of announcing 2 weeks at a time. I guess we will find out for sure on the 2nd.

Exactly

They were scared to announce it as end of August back on 5 July. So they decided to extend week by week.

The time for layoffs is coming.

Maybe in the informal sector. In the formal one its too expensive to layoff people. I always disagreed with this before but now it seems like a good thing to stop companies acting immorally during the pandemic. I also saw an announcement that the government will pick up 1mill per month for workers salaries (but only those under 3.5mill salary). Not much but a start.

Anyway, the "outside restaurants" are open again !

Good thing about Bali is that most place are outside ones, or at least have vast outside sitting areas.

Off to the beach restaurant for lunch and a few glasses of red !

Yeah, yeah, I know about the 20 min thing ......hahahaha

Exactly

They were scared to announce it as end of August back on 5 July. So they decided to extend week by week.
Some things never change & governments are always wary of upsetting the voters, so they drop the hints/leak info... that fires up the initial reaction but not fully- it is a bit like a pressure valve, open it a bit let the steam escape a bit, close it & then drop the bad news when there is less 'steam' built up.
It is tried & tested methodology. Politics 101.

I wonder if the reason why they decided for the 20 minutes limit, because they know people are gonna stretch it to 30....if they said 30....people gonna stretch it to 45...and so on. Not like it matters I guess.

Maybe in the informal sector. In the formal one its too expensive to layoff people. I always disagreed with this before but now it seems like a good thing to stop companies acting immorally during the pandemic. I also saw an announcement that the government will pick up 1mill per month for workers salaries (but only those under 3.5mill salary). Not much but a start.
If the workers do not work, the employer has no obligation to pay them any salary, according to the Labor Law. And subsidies for salaries less than 3.5 million are not valid for Jakarta, as the minimum Jakarta salary is around 4.3-4.5 million.

In the formal and informal sector, less essential workers(i.e. workers engaged from time to time) will go first.

If the workers do not work, the employer has no obligation to pay them any salary, according to the Labor Law. And subsidies for salaries less than 3.5 million are not valid for Jakarta, as the minimum Jakarta salary is around 4.3-4.5 million.

In the formal and informal sector, less essential workers(i.e. workers engaged from time to time) will go first.
Also I am sure that 1 million subsidy won't be fully distributed...as I think one of the requirements that they must have an active BJPS labor/ketenagakerjaan and(or?) active bank account. I know for sure many workers making under 3,5 mill don't either have BPJS Tenaga Kerja or a bank account.

I'm curious specifically which law was this? I would like to read up on it if possible.
Labor Law 13 2003
ARTICLE 93
(1) No wages will be paid if workers/labourers do not perform work.
(2) However, the provision as mentioned under subsection(1) shall not apply and the entrepreneur shall be obligedto pay the worker/labourer’s wages if the worker/labourer does not perform work because of the following reasons:
a. The workers/labourers are ill so that they cannot perform their work;
b. The female workers/labourers are ill on the first and second day of their menstruation period so that they cannot perform their work;
c. The workers/labourers have to be absent from work because they get married, marry of their children, have their sons circumcised, have their children baptized, or because the worker/ labourer’s wife gives birth or suffers from a miscarriage, or because the wife or husband or children or children-in-law(s) or parent(s) or parent-in-law(s) of the worker/labourer or a member of the worker/labourer’s household dies.
d. The workers/labourers cannot perform their work because they are carrying out or fulfilling their
obligations to the State;
e. The workers/labourers cannot perform their work because they are performing religious obligations ordered by their religion;
f. The workers/labourers are willing to do the job that they have been promised to but the entrepreneur does not employ them, because of the entrepreneur’s own fault or because of impediments that the entrepreneur should have been able to avoid;-IF THE WORK FROM HOME CANNOT BE ORGANIZED, THIS CANNOT BE APPLIED
g. The workers/labourers are exercising their right to take a rest;
h. The workers/labourers are performing their trade union duties with the permission from the entrepreneur; and
i. The workers/labourers are undergoing an education program required by their enterprise

I wonder if the reason why they decided for the 20 minutes limit, because they know people are gonna stretch it to 30....if they said 30....people gonna stretch it to 45...and so on. Not like it matters I guess.
Face saving....

With the adjustments made to the restrictions, it seems it is basically almost back to normal. This crap about the number of possitives going down is criminal. The experts at the Universities are saying that there was suddenly less testing being done. Some are now accusing the gov of intentionally reducing the amount if testing just so they could have lower numbers. It looks like this government is following trump's lead where he may not got away with a lot of how he wanted covid handled and get numbers changed, Indonesia doesn't seem to have anyone who can stop what is happening. All I can envision is the deaths taking a sharp upturn and most of them coming out of the traditional markets and factories. There sure looks like there is being more done to kill people than to save them.

The time for layoffs is coming.

They are about to get worse and I am already planning my next step as I saw what my employment did to someone who is in a similar situation as me(married to an Indonesian and have a spouse sponsored visa).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819