Extended SIX weeks more

snpark

Cager
PPKM to be extended by SIX weeks more!

If you’ve been fully compliant with tightened restrictions, prepare to be practically confined to your home for a further six weeks with the current COVID-19 wave proving to be anything but over.

Local media outlets have reported that the Emergency Enforcement of Restrictions on Public Activities (Emergency PPKM) protocol, the first phase of which is ending on July 20, may be extended by four to six weeks, as outlined by Finance Minister Sri Mulyani during a meeting with the House of Representatives (DPR) yesterday.

The minister argued the extension may be a necessity given that Indonesia’s caseload has not decreased in the ongoing phase of Emergency PPKM. In fact, Indonesia recorded its all-time highest daily new infections count of 40,427 just yesterday.

Should Emergency PPKM be extended, Sri Mulyani projected that the country’s GDP growth would have to be revised down to 4-5.4 percent due to expected slowdown in household spending.

Retail associations, which opposed tight restrictions under Emergency PPKM including orders to temporarily close malls, said even more widespread layoffs and business closures in the sector would be unavoidable if the protocol were extended.

The government has been caught between a rock and a hard place all pandemic, and had been reluctant to enforce tight restrictions on public activities for economic reasons. That is, until the country began experiencing the worst of the outbreak starting in June and carrying on into July.

If Emergency PPKM were to be extended after July 20, it would represent a forced necessity for the government to prioritize public health over the economy as the country’s healthcare system collapses amid torrents of new cases and deaths due to COVID-19.

Ruserious

This is from coconuts right? The heading there included the word "Maybe".

Well i guess the article does also but its a bit more hidden. Lets wait for official news.

El_Goretto

Cager
This is from coconuts right? The heading there included the word "Maybe".

Well i guess the article does also but its a bit more hidden. Lets wait for official news.

Thank you @Ruserious for linking to the original article.

@snpark a friendly reminder of our posting guidelines:

Do not link to an outside article without comment. This is a discussion forum. If you wish to discuss an article from outside of our forum, you may do so by linking. Please also include your own comments as to why you are linking said article to start off the discussion. Under no circumstances should you copy most or all of outside articles and post in on the forum. If you need to quote part of an article, you must cite the source.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Hindsight is always 20/20, but what if Indonesia actually decided to take this seriously from the vry start?

You mean pray more?

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
You mean pray more?

Less of this and being realistic when cases are popping up all around, but it gets denied. Plus the PSBB restrictions last longer at the beginning.

Helpful Herbert

I don't think it would have made much difference. Delta would have taken root here whatever they did.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
I know some may disagree with me but that Sri Mulyani has got to go...maybe I'm wrong...but every time I hear her name is about new (increased) taxes or some added tax regulations.

gemima

Cager
I don't think it would have made much difference. Delta would have taken root here whatever they did.
I agree but I do think they should have made a bigger effort with the vaccines - targeted at key regions and sectors (like they did with grab/ gojek and healthcare workers) - key areas where the most money is generated (e.g. Jakarta and surrounds) could have been a lot more vaxxed. This is where the GR scheme could have really been a game-changer.

I'm sounding a bit too captain hindsight for my liking, and I know that vaccines have been really hard to obtain so maybe this just wasn't possible (I have a feeling they didn't really try very hard though).

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Scroll up. I did already. And the video.
Please.

That Kompas link is not saying that the PKMM might be extended, it is an economical scenario planning in case it is. Hence the the reason Sri Mulyani is invovled.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
I agree but I do think they should have made a bigger effort with the vaccines - targeted at key regions and sectors (like they did with grab/ gojek and healthcare workers) - key areas where the most money is generated (e.g. Jakarta and surrounds) could have been a lot more vaxxed. This is where the GR scheme could have really been a game-changer.

I'm sounding a bit too captain hindsight for my liking, and I know that vaccines have been really hard to obtain so maybe this just wasn't possible (I have a feeling they didn't really try very hard though).

From the very start I don't think they tried very hard even before the vaccines. This has been the reaction of the government with PSBB: start, stop, start again because people weren't behaving/being disciplined, stop, add a few restrictions for travels, wait a few months before adding a travel ban for Mudrik, and start again.

The vaccine roll out has been mess. If there is a way for people to get the vaccine even if they pay, then what is the problem? It would help speed things up. I am a bit curious why some of the doc in the boxes(small medical clinics) haven't been given anything to help with the vaccine process.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aji
Top Bottom