Extended SIX weeks more

No decision announced yet, should be announced on Monday or Tuesday. But must be a foregone conclusion.
Tonight, Jokowi announced an extension until 25 July but also said that numbers must come down in order for restrictions to be relaxed.

One step at a time

I see Oz now is back on lockdown again

I don't mind the lockdown but I've noticed locals acting more harshly and xenophobic as of late.

Barking at me to put on my mask and standing a few feet from me on purpose. Meanwhile they ignore all the low class idiots in wife beaters and sandals in my building BREAKING the rule on purpose.

Too many racist Muslims in this country. Well some have been Chinese so who knows.

The idiocy of requiring me to put on my mask up to my temple at 3am in the empty lobby while picking up a package doesn't make sense.

I don't mind the lockdown but I've noticed locals acting more harshly and xenophobic as of late.

Barking at me to put on my mask and standing a few feet from me on purpose. Meanwhile they ignore all the low class idiots in wife beaters and sandals in my building BREAKING the rule on purpose.

Too many racist Muslims in this country. Well some have been Chinese so who knows.

The idiocy of requiring me to put on my mask up to my temple at 3am in the empty lobby while picking up a package doesn't make sense.
Panic & fear makes people behave irrationally.
I'd suggest just behaving as patiently as possible & leaving them to be the ones doing all the 'judging' ... step back quietly & don't make yourself a target.

Panic & fear makes people behave irrationally.
I'd suggest just behaving as patiently as possible & leaving them to be the ones doing all the 'judging' ... step back quietly & don't make yourself a target.

I'm trying real hard just like Jules in Pulp Fiction to be the good shepherd. Excellent metaphor for dealing with these morally bankrupt and corrupt racist people.

I'm trying real hard just like Jules in Pulp Fiction to be the good shepherd. Excellent metaphor for dealing with these morally bankrupt and corrupt racist people.

Must watch again, my fave film ever,

I have seen some information on WA that there are going to be some demos over the psbb restrictions which means in a few weeks there will be more restrictions.

To be honest you are coming across a bit racist....and if the rules are mask in the lobby then you should wear a mask in the lobby.
I agree. I even wear a mask while riding my bicycle... In the rain!!! Rules, even superfluous ones, are still rules. If I were to encounter a truly morally repugnant rule, I would take a stand by disobeying that rule - and accepting the consequences. However, a mask rule is not a "hill to die on".

To be honest you are coming across a bit racist....and if the rules are mask in the lobby then you should wear a mask in the lobby.
I'm characterizing their behavior. I don't like being singled out. Tons of locals get a silent pass because they hate foreigners basically and they think we're spreading this mythical virus.

I think it's mostly the Chindos being Karens actually because they're quite aggressive and roughly fluent English speakers. So many of them here but not a single half decent Chinese food restaurant in town. Weird.

I do wear the mask but it's not satisfactory for them. They want it pulled up to my temple or nose bridge and I'm not doing that. I think I did it once and had the whole room eruputed in applause I kid you not.

Last edited:
I'm characterizing their behavior. I don't like being singled out. Tons of locals get a silent pass because they hate foreigners basically and they think we're spreading this mythical virus.

I think it's mostly the Chindos being Karens actually because they're quite aggressive and roughly fluent English speakers. So many of them here but not a single half decent Chinese food restaurant in town. Weird.

I do wear the mask but it's not satisfactory for them. They want it pulled up to my temple or nose bridge and I'm not doing that. I think I did it once and had the whole room eruputed in applause I kid you not.

Sounds like there is a bit more to this. I guess the easy way to avoid being singled out is to just wear your mask properly. There is little benefit in wearing a mask if you expose your nose I guess. It took me nearly a month to get over the virus and I had been vaccinated with two shots of Sinovac. I assure you it is not 'mythical' and it is worth complying to avoid passing it on to your loved ones should you contract it.

I hate lockdowns with a passion. Hate the stupid virus more. Breaking the imposed hygiene laws isn't justified whichever way we look at it. Calling people 'Chindos' or 'Karens' is probably not a useful way to get along in public. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are being socially awkward at the moment. However, just do what you can to get along. I'm sure it will improve the situation.

As I said in a post many months ago, in times of crisis people will always tend to blame the outsider, the one who thinks / looks different, the foreigner...
See Trump with the Mexicans, Brexit referendum was all about "having our borders back and immigration, Jews still being blamed in the US for controlling the money, not even speaking about the Nazi regime starting in 1933....

Best is to stay calm and not put oil on the fire. Personally, I don't "integrate" or mingle, I live on my own little "island" and it works well.

they think we're spreading this mythical virus.
Remember the days of "all black people have AIDS", then it was the gay people, then in many Asian countries is was the westerner, etc...
When I was in Thailand in the 90's all HiSo massage parlors were off limits for westerners. Reason : they would lose their Asian / local clientele...

It's all a bit a pain in the ass, but don't let it impact you....
Of course, depending the area / country you live it can be more bad or less bad.
But hey, at the start it was YOU who decided to live in that place, remember ?
Hence I live in Bali.....

So far so on track as predicted. Some media report it as 8 August

They might be extending it to 6 weeks, but rather than cause everyone to freak out, do the 2 weeks at a time like they did back in March and April 2020. Annoying as you can't plan too far ahead, but smart so it Supposedly there will be some changes, but they haven't announced them yet.

I've heard a couple of Indonesians I know talking about protests and revolutions in the last week (and I talked to a maximum of 10 people this week). They are both still employed, but they were talking about the economy and how the government can stop traffic but not loan payments.

These two people have shifted more towards believing that covid is a real and deadly disease (quite a few people in the area have died from it recently and many, many families are unwell), but still seem to be of the opinion that the economic problems are worse than the health ones. One of them said he is safe because he works out in the sun, which warms the body...

Honestly, it's hard for me to talk to them about this stuff. It's one thing to post up a link here and tell someone they are an idiot because they believe some nonsense that is contrary to science when you know they have access to good information. It is another to tell someone who didn't finish high school that they are an idiot for being undereducated or basically tell them they are wrong about everything...

God, Covid sucks.

It is all a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation. No matter what is done, someone is always going to be pissed off.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819