Mobil Rakyat...new cars

…..Was a super fun car …..wasn't much to look at but a great small car.

Yeah good old times.

My worst cars were also the ones I had most fun with. Matra Simca Bagheera and Princess from British Leyland. Of course it was not only the car but your age and the spirit of the times / zeitgeist played a major role as well.

Somebody asked my opinion about a Suzuki Swift of 2015. It had 98K km on the odometer. For his daughter.

First of all, the Swift is not sold anymore in Indonesia. And in fact this car was from an older generation, over here the 2010-2014 model of the rest of the world was still continued afterwards (in 2015). Instead of a 1,2, they put a 1,4 liter engine under the hood and face-lifted the dashboard.

Something else, is that of course the odometer reading is no coincidence and it’s manipulated; there’s a psychological threshold for many people at 100.000 km. Add to that that the price of 148 juta is double (!) the second hand price in Western Europe and only 30 juta less than the sticker price at the time.

Last but not least Suzuki saves money on the safety features for the markets in South and East Asia. So a small Suzuki in Europe is ’more safe’ than one ever here or in India or so (over there I would buy an Ignis but here…).

So I advised against it.

View attachment 3953
I had this one in 2012, bought second hand with 4.000 km on it. It had 1.5 liter engine (european had 1.4 at the time),same one that goes in small Suzuki pick-up, very stable, fun to drive and fast. Consumption was a problem with that engine,in good Jakarta jam 14-16 l/100 km or more.

I think the replacing model for the Indonesian market is Suzuki Ignis.

Austin Princess? Very 70's
And Fiat did the Simca in UK
A tiny bit later than the 70ies. That was the only one I -as poor student- could afford at the time. It rotted away and I became an expert in applying the fiberglass repair kit.
The Bagheera was cool; 3-seater with polyester body. Nobody knew what it was (“Wow is this a Ferrari?”). But the gearbox was a disaster.

Swift…..It had 1.5 liter engine (european had 1.4 at the time) ….. fun to drive and fast
Yeah they switched in ‘10 or so from the 1.5 to the 1.4 liter. But Europe went from a 1,3 to a 1,2 at the same time. The complaint with the latest model which was introduced last January, is the lack of oomph. Even when it is lighter than previous versions.

The production of the Suzuki Swift moved from Indonesia to Thailand when there was a new generation. I think the focus on the Ertiga (3 row MPV) was a major reason to cancel the model. Of course they did continue the Baleno, which was -as so often- a sedan version which is nothing more but a hatchback with a trunk. Practically all of those recent Suzuki’s have the same platform btw, they call it HEARTECT.

A tiny bit later than the 70ies. That was the only one I -as poor student- could afford at the time. It rotted away and I became an expert in applying the fiberglass repair kit.
The Bagheera was cool; 3-seater with polyester body. Nobody knew what it was (“Wow is this a Ferrari?”). But the gearbox was a disaster.

Yeah they switched in ‘10 or so from the 1.5 to the 1.4 liter. But Europe went from a 1,3 to a 1,2 at the same time. The complaint with the latest model which was introduced last January, is the lack of oomph. Even when it is lighter than previous versions.

The production of the Suzuki Swift moved from Indonesia to Thailand when there was a new generation. I think the focus on the Ertiga (3 row MPV) was a major reason to cancel the model. Of course they did continue the Baleno, which was -as so often- a sedan version which is nothing more but a hatchback with a trunk. Practically all of those recent Suzuki’s have the same platform btw, they call it HEARTECT.
The Chevrolet Sprint based on the Suzuki Swift was a 1 liter 3 cylinder turbo charged engine. It also had 12 inch tires. Under the hood looked so funny. The intercooler for the turbo looked like a mail slot sticking through the grill.

The Honda Jazz is a rather viable (and much cheaper!) alternative for the HR-V if you’re looking at 2017-2019 second hands.
This would be an example of a nice alternative.

toyota-yaris-facelift_169.jpeg

Jazz is a car- car though? Small thing

Yaris also
I mean not like a rush or terios SUV people carrier minivan

But an actual car car lol
Jazz small. Can't fit 4 adults really and bags

Yeah good old times.

My worst cars were also the ones I had most fun with. Matra Simca Bagheera and Princess from British Leyland. Of course it was not only the car but your age and the spirit of the times / zeitgeist played a major role as well.
Nearly bought a Bagheera in my (very) young days....

DSCN1652_copy_1024x768.jpg

Ended up with a Matra Rancho, much more convenient to carry my wind surfing board.

images.jpeg-5.jpg

Cars were fun in those days, now they are plainly boring.

Jazz is a car- car though? Small thing

Yaris also
I mean not like a rush or terios SUV people carrier minivan

But an actual car car lol
Jazz small. Can't fit 4 adults really and bags

Nah. Jazz is in fact similar to a HR-V which was developed on the same platform. They also both have the ‘smart seats’ in the rear. Very interesting for bicycles etc.

Yaris and Jazz have always been competitors in the B segment. A 4+ meter length for a car is not small, let’s call it compact. In that segment you’d have a Polo or 208 in Europe. Which have the size now of the Golf or 305 from 15 years ago; everything grows.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agperfumecosmetics
Back