Garden visitors

Methblinkz

Jumping spider is a lovely cute pet. Very easy to care and enjoyable.
Nice macro photography inject, but you need macro lens.

View attachment 1747
Even though iam not a big fan of spiders, I came to like these little ones. Although, when I see pictures like this, Iam pretty happy that they are not really that big.😂

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
May I ask in what part of Indonesia you live? We live on Batam and I never seen any kind of big spider. Which is lucky, since I would immediately kill myself when I see a Tarantula somewhere.

Iam kinda surprised though, I always thought this kind of climate is perfect for insects of all sorts. Well again, Iam happx about that but even in Germany I saw bigger spiders then anywhere here. Or maybe cause it is cause not much jungle is left here where we live. Then again, even on Borneo (i visited seruyan years ago and more or less lived next to the jungle in an non air conditioned house) or on Java i didn't "find" any bigger species. Maybe I really was just lucky.

The only visitors in our garden are toads, frogs and these little jumping spiders that don't really bother me.
Ps: my daughter made the pics with all the emojis 😅 and of course we also have these smaller lizards, cicak, all over the place. Sometimes rats and cockroaches, but I guess this is pretty normal and what I experienced in most places. Oh..and bats, they also fly around here.
Bandung, Java.
Quite the over-reaction surely-get some treatment for your phobia :) , the tarantula was (irrationally) scary for me but I was also quite awe-struck when I saw it initially. We don't see them often at all now. We still see the Huntsman type spiders though, they are big and speedy and run at you not away- I try to catch them & put them outside but often fail- see YouTube video for an idea of what that is like.
I recommend a waste basket size container for catching them. :D
Catching A spider FAIL

Wisnu

Charter Member
Even though iam not a big fan of spiders, I came to like these little ones. Although, when I see pictures like this, Iam pretty happy that they are not really that big.😂
Many kids love Lucas the jumping spider

IMG_20210401_070342.jpg

Methblinkz

Bandung, Java.
Quite the over-reaction surely-get some treatment for your phobia :) , the tarantula was (irrationally) scary for me but I was also quite awe-struck when I saw it initially. We don't see them often at all now. We still see the Huntsman type spiders though, they are big and speedy and run at you not away- I try to catch them & put them outside but often fail- see YouTube video for an idea of what that is like.
I recommend a waste basket size container for catching them. :D
Catching A spider FAIL
Haha..seeing those videos is already enough for me. Worse than a big spider is an "aggressive" big spider. So good I know that, I will never live in Bandung then😅.
My phobia got better over the years and Iam more relaxed about most insects but when it comes to sizes like this, I will still freak out I guess. Where do you usually can get help for this kind of phobia?

It's still interesting to see the local differences. The climate in Bandung is more mild or sometimes even cold compared to other parts of the country. Maybe it is due the changing temperatures that insects feel even more comfortable then. Dunno 😂
Do you have any knowledge on the differences and why certain species can't be found in all places of Indonesia? Science is not my biggest talent.

Batam is just hot all year, not much change. I talk to all kind of people and I always ask them about spiders and stuff at some point, no one so far has seen such a big one here.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Haha..seeing those videos is already enough for me. Worse than a big spider is an "aggressive" big spider. So good I know that, I will never live in Bandung then😅.
My phobia got better over the years and Iam more relaxed about most insects but when it comes to sizes like this, I will still freak out I guess. Where do you usually can get help for this kind of phobia?

It's still interesting to see the local differences. The climate in Bandung is more mild or sometimes even cold compared to other parts of the country. Maybe it is due the changing temperatures that insects feel even more comfortable then. Dunno 😂
Do you have any knowledge on the differences and why certain species can't be found in all places of Indonesia? Science is not my biggest talent.

Batam is just hot all year, not much change. I talk to all kind of people and I always ask them about spiders and stuff at some point, no one so far has seen such a big one here.
Hypnotherapy & exposure therapy are good for help with phobias

There are plenty of resources online that look into different species & their habitats.
is one site with lots of observations & pics.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
We had a huge outdoor spider in our front yard. Never came inside, just stayed in it’s web outside.

Methblinkz

Hypnotherapy & exposure therapy are good for help with phobias

There are plenty of resources online that look into different species & their habitats.
is one site with lots of observations & pics.
Thanks for the info!

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Last edited:

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
I think you should invite Wildlife magazine or something like that, seems your place has it all.😆

That butterfly is awesome. I seldom see them orund here.
It is an Atlas moth , as far as I know the world's largest moth.
They are rather spectacular, initially I would confuse them for bats until I realised their flight motion is much too slow.
I used to see them all the time, however I haven't seen any for a while.

We see many other things around our place however & the ones I like to see most are the Javan Hawk Eagles- they are so rare, almost extinct , yet we are lucky enough to see them most days.
The last time I saw them close enough, I just happened to have my camera handy & for the 1st time was able to pick out some colours & markings.
J hawk Eagle.jpg

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
We moved some old wood in the garden & found loads of Tokek eggs glued on the wall, luckily most had hatched & gone on their merry way- they all hang out in our garden though, we have at a guess a dozen or so of the noisy lil buggas. The other pic is some of the tokek family hiding out in the corner of the garden
Then we have a pic of one of the flying lizards that hang out in the tree on our neighbour's land.That tree was cut down however I am pleased to say I saw one yesterday climbing their papaya tree.
flying lizard.jpg
tokek eggs.jpg
tokek family.jpg

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Final pics from me for tonight the red necked keelback that hubby found in our garden and released off up the roadside ditch.
We try to keep snakes & dogs apart otherwise it can get messy
Red necked keelback.jpg
Holding red necked keelback.jpg
R necked K back.jpg

nosox

Charter Member
Cager
had a snake the other day, about the size in BAs pic above. It was black with some possible yellow markings (could've just been reflection) on the shoulder area. He escaped before I could evict him

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
had a snake the other day, about the size in BAs pic above. It was black with some possible yellow markings (could've just been reflection) on the shoulder area. He escaped before I could evict him
Possibly a mangrove snake?
They have a potent venom but their fangs tend to be at the back of the mouth so they need to get a proper bite in rather than just a strike.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
To be honest I have made it a point to learn as much about local snakes as I can because we see a fair few different species & despite my original phobia of snakes I felt it pertinent to be educated, that way I can figure out which are dangerous or not.
I learnt a lot from watching Brian Barczyk videos on YouTube & I have to say I am much less wary now, I actually was able to touch a snake too- yes it was dead, but all the same that is a long way from where I was when I 1st came to live here hahaha
I could most likely hold a live one now, I think, if I had to.

& yes he is a bit irritating but very informative too:
Mangrove snake episode

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja