DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

If you see what they eat in North Sulawesi, according to that theory they should be a huge source of all kind of viruses...

I was having lunch at Din Tai Fung and it seems all the waitresses are required to wear masks.

And we were really disgusted. The fact they were completely un-understandable was the least of my concerns. First of all they do not exchange them every two hours. And they keep on touching their face and the mask since they're not used to it.

In Western Europe many restaurants are still closed after Chinese New Year since they don't want to increase the rather racist views and remarks towards the Chinese community.

Roadkill.jpg

I was having lunch at Din Tai Fung and it seems all the waitresses are required to wear masks.

And we were really disgusted. The fact they were completely un-understandable was the least of my concerns. First of all they do not exchange them every two hours. And they keep on touching their face and the mask since they're not used to it.

In Western Europe many restaurants are still closed after Chinese New Year since they don't want to increase the rather racist views and remarks towards the Chinese community.

Every two hours? Where did you hear that? Dr Leong Hoe Nam, an Infectious Diseases Physician at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital said this "If the mask is dry and not torn, you can wear it for six to 12 hours, or more. I’ve used the same mask over a day or two, sometimes even the first half of the third day". The Singaporean doctor also answered other burning questions about the coronavirus.

It's all rather theoretical since they don't really do* what people expect of them anyway ( stating two days is almost mocking its use** ), but: A European virologist advices to change every two hours, CDC states to replace when wet and every 60 minutes when there's contact between patients. And a national assembly of pharmacies says 8 hours. And Western European Health Ministries advise every 4 hours (if people insist on wearing them and if they wear them correctly*** ).

So try to get a consistent advice. And a study from 2016 states that people touch their face on average 23 times per hour.

* cf. David Carrington virologist London
** cf. Jake Dunning expert zoonosis Public Health England
*** cf. Jonathan Ball professor virology Nottingham

Last edited:
Bad News:
New study finds incubation period of up to 24 days

They normally wear mask at Din Tai Fung, it isn't because of the coronavirus, they have been doing it for as long as I can remember in the Jakarta locations.

They normally wear mask at Din Tai Fung, it isn't because of the coronavirus, they have been doing it for as long as I can remember in the Jakarta locations.

No way.

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg

And the one I visited most recently:

IMG_8342.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the Senayan one? I haven't been for over a year but used to frequent it more often a few years ago and everyone in the kitchen, the waiter's helpers who bring the food out to the table always had mask on and often times a few of the waitresses. Perhaps they have changed their policy or I was just there on days where lots of them were sick...

If that is true and if the virus already spread to the neighbor island Lombok, it is likely for the virus to spread further. The bau nyale festival takes place at the moment.

There was a big spike in reported cases. Then it got known that there were not enough test kits, so now the medical staff can ‘determine’ and report Covid-19 based on the symptoms and condition of patients only.

This morning the ABC reports: :
A top Chinese official acknowledged that coronavirus was a huge challenge, but defended Beijing's management of the outbreak and lashed out at the "overreaction" of some countries.
State Councillor Wang Yi, who also serves as China's foreign minister, said China has taken decisive measures to fight the epidemic, many going beyond international health regulations and World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations. "Through our efforts, the epidemic is overall under control," he said.

Kind of contradictory to accuse other countries of "overreaction" while domestically imposing restrictions of movement for half the population. As for the epidemic being under control I wonder if the Corona virus is aware of that.

For anyone interested here is today's ABC report: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...n-china-millions-put-into-quarantine/11968114

Singaporean Doctor infected with COVID-19 has no other symptoms except fever and doesn’t know where he got it:
If human transmission is possible in Singapore, then it could be possible in Indonesia because the climate is the same (temperature and humidity). This is worrying, especially in Bali and Batam. In case of an outbreak, what would the Indonesian government do?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back