DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

I hadn't seen that reported yet, could you share a link to an article about that?

If that is true...or let's say if scientists are really certain about that, then I don't understand why some of them fear that the impact on Africa could become disastrous. I mean, at least the high temperature in many parts of Africa should reduce the spreading of the virus then.

Last edited:
Dr Li Wenliang was the first to warn his colleagues that he noticed several SARS like cases. For this he was initially reprimanded by Chinese officials.

Now I understand why he was reprimanded, (1) the Wuhan CDC is still investigating the case, however, Dr. Li was unaware of the ongoing investigation, (2) sharing the story of a SARS-like outbreak in Wuhan would have made panicking people to flee from the city and potentially spreading the virus all over the country more quickly with higher rate of contamination.

I hadn't seen that reported yet, could you share a link to an article about that?
"Studies done many years ago showed that the “regular” coronavirus (which is one of the causes of the common cold) can survive on surfaces 30 times longer in places with a temperature of 6 degrees Celsius compared to those where the temperature is 20 degrees Celsius and humidity levels are high.

More recently, scientists from Hong Kong University (HKU) including Professor Malik Peiris and Professor Seto Wing Hong showed that low temperatures and low relative humidity allowed the SARS virus to survive much longer than they would in high temperatures and humidity."

If that is true...or let's say if scientists are really certain about that, then I don't understand why some of them fear that the impact on Africa could become disastrous. I mean, at least the high temperature should reduce the spreading of the virus then.

10C this morning in Cairo - and 15C at 12:20 pm.

Apparently the reason that it hasn't taken hold in Indonesia is that the virus needs cold conditions.

Rather well known facts and established info on the Corona viruses....

As with any other (influenza) vaccine, 5 more months to have it fully tested, full roll-out end of the year...

It also seems the virus is a bit similar to the others, the influenza types, that it prefers lower temperatures and humidity levels. So from that perspective.....

See here:

As you can see, even Indonesia is mentioned as example. The Lancet also had some studies published at the time...

Last edited:
This Wuhan coronavirus is an entirely new kind of virus so nobody knows how to handle it and errors were inevitable.

:LOL::sneaky: The wumao is a funny sort of person, yes?

a quick search for "wuhan cover up" using Google produced 2.23 million hits:

Anyway, Afu Thomas has a message for people like you, please take a listen.

for people like you? o_O 'Dave70', you don't know me, but I think that I know you...or at least your type. Here in Hong Kong we have cadres in every district and well-funded United Front groups.

I have an idea! Let's let experienced doctors work on this crisis. Agreed?

ooops! Sorry - some of them have been arrested by your government:

Last edited:
:LOL::sneaky:The wumao is a funny sort of person, yes?

for people like you? o_O
'Dave70', you don't know me, but I think that I know you...or at least your type. Here in Hong Kong we have cadres in every district and well-funded United Front groups.

@serious_fun You are not debating anymore, you are attacking me and accusing me of something I'm not. It's equivalent of pointing your finger at me and accusing me of being a communist sympatizer which is dangerous thing to do in Indonesia. I think personal attacks is against forum rules?

:crazy: :der: :help: wow! You are relentless in your defense of tyranny. Isn't it amazing how some people are persuaded by nationalism and/or propaganda?

What!? Is that your only argument? I'm just seeking the truth and providing alternative source and opinion for others.

Last edited:
Last edited:
IMG_8325.jpg

He has a point. If you see press articles (see BBC screen on the right side ?) and forums...

Last edited:
I see these news stories from different places with buses and ambulances being sprayed down. Does this really achieve something or is it public relations showing the authorities are protecting us? Perhaps it is the human need for ritual. I recall the Australian habit of aircraft arriving and everyone was instructed to stay in their seats while officials walked down the aisle with a spray can in either hand and covered passengers in a fine mist. "Welcome to Australia."

If anyone had the temerity to stand up there was an expression of outrage as if someone had farted in church.

If we can really catch the virus from the side of a bus or vehicle then the virus is much more infectious than most of us imagine.

I see these news stories from different places with buses and ambulances being sprayed down

Yep, and then they say this person was never in danger and a 2 meter perimeter is enough, no need for any protective gear....

IMG_7699.jpg

Rather well known facts and established info on the Corona viruses....

See here:

As you can see, even Indonesia is mentioned as example. The Lancet also had some studies published at the time...

From the article (emphasis mine):

High relative humidity (>95%) at comparatively low temperature (28°C and 33°C) did not affect the virus infectivity significantly (Figure 2(a)). High temperature (38°C) at 80–90% relative humidity led to a 0.25~2 loss of titre at 24 hr (Figure 2(b)).

I would argue that even in Indonesia, most of the time the temperature is actually at the lower scale. Looking at my weather forecast, right now it's 30 deg C, and the highs for the whole week are not expected to top 32 deg C.

The Guardian article is "old story" from the 2003 SARS repackaged into a new article .
View attachment 1263

He has a point. If you see press articles (see BBC screen on the right side ?) and forums...

Yes, many are biased and downright Anti-China racists. Imagine what the Western media would be like if the coronavirus started in the USA (instead of China), see below video.

Dave 70 might like to tell us in which country he lives as this may throw some light on the differences in perspective between him and Serious Fun.

With many people becoming more anxious about the Corona virus it becomes increasingly easy to slip into comments which may seem racist. At the same time we have seen Chinese students in Australia claiming racism because of restrictions now on return of Chinese from the mainland to Australia. If that were so then it might be said Chinese in Hong Kong are "racist" for seeking tighter restrictions on mainlanders going to Hong Kong.

Then there may be those who see criticism and suspicion about the integrity of the CPC's reporting or lack of it regarding the Corona virus as also stemming from racism. I think there is an important distinction as to how one might regard Chinese people and how they may see the Communist Party of China. Maoists and Marxists see notions of honesty as bourgeios and irrelevant to any argument with what the party says is truth. "Truth" is what the party says is pertinent at any particular time.

I think one can then regard with scorn and even sarcasm as to the official line from the Chinese Communist Government without being racist.

Dave 70 might like to tell us in which country he lives as this may throw some light on the differences in perspective between him and Serious Fun.

Hi @harryopal, of course I live in Indonesia that's why I am in this forum. But I travel a lot and have been doing business in the Greater China area (which includes Hong Kong). I know Serious Fun lives in HK, but I may know more about HK and China than he does. One problem with SF is that he supports or sympathizes with the anti-government movement in HK, that's why his comments are hateful, biased and exaggerated (e.g. post #81 "Nobody here in HK respects or trusts the mainland government", post #77 "Nobody trusts the HK Gov't anymore", post #55 "Only a fool would trust the Chinese gov't with anything").

But I never said a word that he is racist, so there must be a misunderstanding. On post #156, I was referring to the Western media. On the contrary, SF was insinuating that I'm a "wumao" which is derogatory (see post #147 "The wumao is a funny sort of person") and a communist (also post #147 "Here in Hong Kong we have cadres in every district and well-funded United Front groups").

And just because I have different views, I must be a Chinese (see post #148 "You are relentless in your defense of tyranny. Isn't it amazing how some people are persuaded by nationalism and/or propaganda", and post #147 "ooops! Sorry - some of them have been arrested by your government").

With many people becoming more anxious about the Corona virus it becomes increasingly easy to slip into comments which may seem racist. At the same time we have seen Chinese students in Australia claiming racism because of restrictions now on return of Chinese from the mainland to Australia. If that were so then it might be said Chinese in Hong Kong are "racist" for seeking tighter restrictions on mainlanders going to Hong Kong.

To me, it's not racism. Australians are just trying to protect their own country just as HK people wants to protect their own territory. But for your information, some HK people do not consider themselves as Chinese but as Hong Kongers.

I think one can then regard with scorn and even sarcasm as to the official line from the Chinese Communist Government without being racist.

Who's talking the "official line"? Afu Thomas is German ( post #129), Nathan Rich is American (post #142), and Numuves is Canadian (post #156). Nobody is even Chinese here.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back