DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
  • Proof of vaccine ineligibility due to a medical condition (religious, ethical, or ideological objections ARE NOT medical conditions)

While I do agree with you, you know there are going to be people who use those reasons to justify their reasoning on why they are exempt.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
Don't count on it; plenty of missionaries still go to parts of Africa where yellow fever vaccinations have been required for decades.
I got my first international travel vaccines from a missionary group. I think the place was called JAARS.

nd_eric_77

Charter Member
Cager
I wonder if the governor had close contact with a high profile hero who is refusing to release test results.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
And from a large public gathering while not practicing any of the things he has said others need to follow. His Instagram video is funny as tries to pass it off as something sudden and not what he has been doing the last few weeks.

Helpful Herbert

The last 3 weeks haven't been great for the troublemaking triumvirate of the last 5 years - Prabowo/Rizieq/Anies. A lot of things have become clear that they might have wished to stay hidden.

dafluff

Cager
Pfizer vaccine gets approval in the UK, first vaccine approved in the west. Vaccination to start within days.

Dave70

Cager
Form yesterday’s Kompas print edition page 1, 48 regional heads (provincial governors, city mayors and regents) have been infected with COVID-19 so far, 33 recovered, 7 being treated and 8 died. Fatality rate is 17% (assuming all 7 survived), quite high for people who have access to the best medical care in Indonesia. It must be worse for ordinary civilians...

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Form yesterday’s Kompas print edition page 1, 48 regional heads (provincial governors, city mayors and regents) have been infected with COVID-19 so far, 33 recovered, 7 being treated and 8 died. Fatality rate is 17% (assuming all 7 survived), quite high for people who have access to the best medical care in Indonesia. It must be worse for ordinary civilians...
That is indeed quite high. I wonder their average age? 17% would be similar to the Case Fatality Rate in several European countries for males aged 60-69: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s15010-020-01538-w

harryopal

Charter Member
For some while there has been talk of developing "herd" immunity. The assumption being that people can develop a natural immune resistance to Covid and there have been studies of immune responses to influenza that show that capability of resisting virus infection is a proven fact.

While assertions of up to 95% of effective resistance to Covid with some of the new vaccines is impressive it seems there is no data regarding natural immunity and Covid. I take it then that the new vaccines take full credit for resistance with no means of factoring in the value of natural immunity. This is great for the vaccine producers but it leaves me wondering about the reliability of such claims.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
it seems there is no data regarding natural immunity and Covid
I don't see how you could come to that conclusion, the documented cases of reinfection is less than 1 in 100,000. Not everyone who has had Covid gets exposed to it a second times, and not every reinfection has been well documented, but even if you reduce that number by 1000 times it still indicates immunity of greater than 99%.

Additionally, study after study has shown that patients generally keep the antibodies for a few months, and after the antibodies have faded the T-cells and B-cells that provide immunity remain. https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4257

dafluff

Cager
That is indeed quite high. I wonder their average age? 17% would be similar to the Case Fatality Rate in several European countries for males aged 60-69: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s15010-020-01538-w

Here is an article about 7 regional heads who have died. The oldest was 60, the youngest 50.

IndoTom

For some while there has been talk of developing "herd" immunity. The assumption being that people can develop a natural immune resistance to Covid and there have been studies of immune responses to influenza that show that capability of resisting virus infection is a proven fact.

While assertions of up to 95% of effective resistance to Covid with some of the new vaccines is impressive it seems there is no data regarding natural immunity and Covid. I take it then that the new vaccines take full credit for resistance with no means of factoring in the value of natural immunity. This is great for the vaccine producers but it leaves me wondering about the reliability of such claims.
Funny how scientists don't talk about herd immunity for Ebola. Maybe Trump supporters will volunteer for a study?

harryopal

Charter Member
WARNING: Dedicated Monarchists viewers are warned that the following item may contain references which might seem disrespectful.

I see that with the beginning of vaccinations in the UK with medical workers and the elderly being given priority, the 93 year old Queen is also to receive a vaccination. On the one hand publicizing this may persuade many that if it is okay with the Queen then I will also get a vaccination. But if there were any adverse effects or the Queen were to have a health setback of any kind it seems that probably millions would be scared off from vaccinating. World wide the impact would be enormous.

It would seem a much more prudent approach to have quietly had the Queen vaccinated and then some while later, if there were no problems, it might then be trumpeted that the Queen had the vaccinations and everything is wonderful.

Helpful Herbert

I was having this conversation yesterday. My mother said she'll get it only after the Queen has it. I imagine many of that age will do the same. But what if the day after the vaccination she dies of an unrelated heart attack. Basically the campaign would be dead, as dead as her.

Dave70

Cager
Day 1 (Nov 28): Singaporean had PCR test upon arrival from a business trip to Indonesia. Result was negative.

Day 5 (Dec 2): He developed symptoms and got tested for COVID-19 again. Result is positive.

Does this prove that PCR test is not always accurate?

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
That is completely normal and expected if he became infected a short time (hours? a day?) before the negative PCR test. The PCR test has a sensitivity threshold which will not be exceeded if a person only has a very small amount of Covid captured by the swab, as is the case during the first period of infection. Their precautions should require a person to isolate for a couple days and then receive a PCR test. Perhaps they will make it so after this case.

Wisnu

Charter Member
My daughter in Ohio US just received the RT PCR test result today. Bad news! - the result is "detected". She supposed to visit us with tommorow flight.
She has no symptoms at all. She is an athlete.
Not sure whether this is true positive or false positive, Now, she has to self quarantined for 10 days.
Hopefully another test can be done ASAP.

Sadly, not much we can do here other than to support her from thousands miles away.

gemima

Cager
Day 1 (Nov 28): Singaporean had PCR test upon arrival from a business trip to Indonesia. Result was negative.

Day 5 (Dec 2): He developed symptoms and got tested for COVID-19 again. Result is positive.

Virus infections don't impact humans in an ON/ OFF manner. We are exposed, the virus takes some time to replicate inside our bodies before it makes us sick /can be detected by the PCR test. So no, this doesn't show that PCR testing isn't accurate. It just shows the normal infection pattern in a human. It's like a woman doesn't become pregnant immediately after she has sex - it takes some time and even longer before it can be detected by a pregnancy test.

gemima

Cager
My daughter in Ohio US just received the RT PCR test result today. Bad news! - the result is "detected". She supposed to visit us with tommorow flight.
She has no symptoms at all. She is an athlete.
Not sure whether this is true positive or false positive, Now, she has to self quarantined for 10 days.
Hopefully another test can be done ASAP.

Sadly, not much we can do here other than to support her from thousands miles away.
All the best for her quick recovery - if it was a PCR test it's unlikely to be a false positive (but they can occur..human error can happen). I'm assuming she is young and as you say an athlete (and a woman) so all things in her favor to recover quick.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toniliu
Top Bottom