DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

dafluff

Cager
Indonesian gov't response to Covid19 exposes just how incompetent and uncoordinated they are.

Sunday: Minister of State Enterprises says their employees under 45 y.o. to start working again May 25th.

Monday: Coordinating Minister for Economy says no policy for employees returning to work based on age.

#IndonesiaWhatever

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
I viewed the Plandemic video. Nothing of note but a focus on conspiracy theories. There was no mention of White Supremacism that I can recall. Alt Right, like most of these titles, can be interpreted in so many ways. However I do applaud moderators being careful, as long as the moderation is balanced fairly.
The Plandemic video has been shown to be nothing but false information coming from far right instigators of putting out false narratives. This is no place for such nonsense no matter where it originates.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Vaccines work. The path for it to become certified is so mind bogglingly complicated and expensive (on purpose) so the end product is fit for mass consumption. Nobody creates vaccines that impart more harm than benefit to the population, because it would have been shut down by the process. Nothing is perfect, just like no drug has zero side effect. The fatality rate of smallpox vaccine is one per million, but the rate for smallpox itself is 30%, or 300,000 per million. It’s not a typo, the disease is three hundred thousand times deadlier than the vaccine.
In the US, trump has announced Operation Warp Speed to develop a covid-19 vaccine. When he announced it he included that developers would be allowed to skip, ignore regulations in place in order to reàch the public faster. This definately worries me and should everyone else.

The regulations that are in place ate to protect the potential receivers of any treatment or vaccine. Skipping any of them or intentionally skipping parts of them to reach the market early could very well put the public at great risk.

By hurrying the approval, they in all likelihood will not know how long the vaccine last. They will not have time to study any side effects that may come later after receiving the vaccine. This may just be the case where the vaccine does more harm than good. People will not know until it is too late.

If a vaccine gets approval in that manor, I will not be one of those that runs out and gets it. I will be waiting at least 6 months and continue safety measures before even considering it and possibly, by that time someone will come out with a vaccine that has met the regulatory requirements.

Trump just wants to be first. He wants to lay claim that he did it. It will not matter to him if people drop like flies in a Raid mist just as he doesn't seem to care with 90,000 already dead. No, if it comes out under his plan, I'll let everyone else be the test subjects.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
If a vaccine gets approval in that manor, I will not be one of those that runs out and gets it. I will be waiting at least 6 months and continue safety measures before even considering it and possibly, by that time someone will come out with a vaccine that has met the regulatory requirements.
Personally I hope they do cut short some of the safety and efficacy testing in order to offer it to those in very high risk groups. I would definitely get it as soon as possible if I was an 80 year old diabetic in a nursing home, but I am not, so I will be waiting like you.

Last edited:

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
In Thailand the Min. of Sport has stated that wearing a mask while running/jogging is bad for you. It could result in mild hypoxia. :unsure:
A friend back home shared a post on Facebook about someone dying while wearing a mask when he/she went out jogging. I didn't read the article so I couldn't tell you what the source was or if it was true.

I think depending on what type of mask you wear and the duration of the activity you are doing could also play a factor. I remember watch UFC: The Ultimate Fighter and seeing a few of them wearing a mask while doing cardio. Maybe members who were in the military can weigh in if they had to train in masks.

Vulphere

Dave70

I heard some people are being coerced by some government agency assisted by police/military in public places to take the COVID-19 test. Problem is, the person wearing full protective equipment touches many people with his gloves during the test, but not replacing or even sterilizing the gloves. So the virus can spread through his gloves. And an uninfected person can become infected instead due to taking the test.

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
I heard some people are being coerced by some government agency assisted by police/military in public places to take the COVID-19 test. Problem is, the person wearing full protective equipment touches many people with his gloves during the test, but not replacing or even sterilizing the gloves. So the virus can spread through his gloves. And an uninfected person can become infected instead due to taking the test.
Sterial technic is something that just isn't practiced very well here. Lab technicians in clinics and labs fail miserably regarding changing gloves or just not wearing then. Lab trays that are uncovered and carry used as well as clean bare needles. Rooms are cleaned but upon inspection of chemicals used, are everyday cleaners and not so often anti bacterial. Doctors hardly ever wearing gloves as well as nurses that come in contact with patients. Reusing examination devices without proper cleaning in doctor's offices like ear exams. Uncovered exam tables or reusing cloth coverings. Dental offices that don't bother to clean items between patients. I know a family who ended up with three people leaving with gum infections after they had their teeth cleaned.

I can imagine that a lot of infections are spread from stays in a hospital. I'm an asshole so I never fail to point out anything I see wrong. They will change or put on new gloves. Now, I will insist on a mask if anyone fails to wear one. If they do not know how to care for my safety and wellbeing, I will instruct them because I do. I don't care if they have budget problems. The last place any cuts should be implemented are those that affect patients safety. Not to mention health care worker safety.

Dave70

I understand those wearing gloves want to protect themselves, but did they realize that not changing it can spread the virus to others? It's like some food sellers who wear gloves for sanitary reasons but also accept money using the same gloves and... next customer, please.

I have already prepared my excuse in case I meet those guys, first I will avoid them, but if I get caught, I'll just say "Sorry, I urgently need to go to a toilet, I can't hold it any longer", then I disappear. It's better than saying NO to them, this is Indonesia.

dafluff

Cager
Not so good news on the HCQ/CQ front. A large retrospective study by the Lancet covering over 90k patients over 600+ hospitals showed that those treated with HCQ/CQ had higher death rates than standard of care, and those treated with HCQ/CQ + macrolide (azithromycin) had an even higher death rate.

Based on this study the WHO has recommended stopping treatment using HCQ/CQ. Indonesia has stopped its use on its WHO solidarity trail study, but is still using them for other patients.

The study, while appearing robust, has drawn criticism from other scientists, particularly over the origin of the data used.

This really leaves me wondering why a proper double-blinded study is not being done by anyone? It seems both proponents and detractors of using HCQ/CQ to treat Covid-19 are more interested in advancing their theories rather than actually doing a proper study.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
This really leaves me wondering why a proper double-blinded study is not being done by anyone? It seems both proponents and detractors of using HCQ/CQ to treat Covid-19 are more interested in advancing their theories rather than actually doing a proper study.
Here is one in the UK: BBC News

It is sad that, at least in the US, this drug has become a polarized political issue.

centurion

Cager
I have an impression that hydroxychloroquine therapy became inefficient and deathly when Trump mentioned it for the first first time. Until then it was promising.

Now a lot of serious studies-double blind randomized blind control trials for HQC are cancelled or halted because of the study published in Lancet, that has been already disputed upon publishing.

In the meantime, some countries continue to use it and claim that it is beneficial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndoSteph