Would you travel to Indonesia now? Should I stay, or should I go now...

Ok- I got curious and the Covid attributed deaths worldwide- from countries that actually give any figures w/e 8th Dec totalled around 75,3633
My trusty calculator says that if that is divided by 366, we have lost the equivalent of 206.5 hypothetical jumbo Jets.
Now imagine if that was the actual scenario & 200+ planes crashed in a WEEK!
People would be able to better put the numbers into perspective and perhaps be shocked enough into acting without complacency.

If we hypothetically filled jumbo jets with all the dead from covid & classed them as airliner crashes there would be absolute horror at the numbers, a while back I did some calculations & it was equivalent to 13 in a day
Yes, but it would be planes full of old people who would have probably died soon anyway.

/s

With those planes the airlines could offer special discount one way tickets for seniors.

Theres a possibility that 2021 will be shot for travel back to Indonesia because of Covid.

As a Kitap holder, are you still required to be in Indonesia one day a year, even if you have a valid Merp?

That is what I heard you are suppose to do, but they might be more understanding.

I wouldn't come here. I actually regret it despite some of the glowing reviews my friends gave it.

Just had this lowlife steal my food and OVO on Grab, for example. There are some adjustments you have to make with regard to the people and their mindset.

They seem to think all foreigners are rich and owe them something especially how they beg for tips, grift you etc.

Nothing is open right now in Jakarta either so you have to grin and bear it especially if you committed to some type of contracted position.

This is simply my opinion. No death threats please.

I wouldn't come here. I actually regret it despite some of the glowing reviews my friends gave it.

Just had this lowlife steal my food and OVO on Grab, for example. There are some adjustments you have to make with regard to the people and their mindset.

They seem to think all foreigners are rich and owe them something especially how they beg for tips, grift you etc.

Nothing is open right now in Jakarta either so you have to grin and bear it especially if you committed to some type of contracted position.

These are increasingly desperate times and for many the choice becomes starve or steal. Yes, I would also be upset to have stuff stolen but worldwide crime will rise as the economic chaos of Covid wipes out jobs. I also wonder why you would choose Jakarta as a place to live? I guess employment but Jakarta has long had a reputation for crime.

Perhaps Indonesia needs to transport all the petty thieves to Australia as in the good old days when Britain transported felons for stealing a loaf of bread.

I use grab daily (for years now) and have never had anyone steal my OVO (I don't see how they could if you set up your account securely with a pin). Absolutely no one has begged for a tip since I got back here last July.
I have been giving out much bigger tips than I usually would so perhaps you arent and this is where you meet this "attitude"?
If you are a foreigner here legally you probably are "rich" in comparison to 90% of Indonesians, particularly ones in service roles and perhaps you could just give back a little extra to help at this very difficult time.

Are you sure about that? Are you even looking?

Planes work in both directions, mate.
My am guessing it is easier to get out than in, these days. But then my experience is, like Tex Avery, a bit limited; I have been trying only to get in.

Times are tough in good ‘ol USA, let alone Indonesia. Many people beg, borrow, and steal just to make ends meet. If it makes you feel any better, it doesn’t happen to bules only. Desperate people don’t discriminate, they’ll get money from anybody.

I'm curious as to how much time you have spent outside your home country? Nothing in Indonesia is majorly different than any other country I have visited or lived in. Life abroad is not for everyone.

I'm curious as to how much time you have spent outside your home country? Nothing in Indonesia is majorly different than any other country I have visited or lived in. Life abroad is not for everyone.

I've been all over, dork. Nice underhanded pass at me though.

I tend to notice a lot of uppity lifers in the expat resident space get pissy when someone has a different opinion or experience or wants to vent from time to time. That's ok.

They're usually married to a local and tend to embellish a lot. Best food in the world . Nicest people in the world. Delusional.

Deal with it bud.

Times are tough in good ‘ol USA, let alone Indonesia. Many people beg, borrow, and steal just to make ends meet. If it makes you feel any better, it doesn’t happen to bules only. Desperate people don’t discriminate, they’ll get money from anybody.
I am a bit surprised by this sentiment from you Nimbus. I thought you had a less liberal view of lawlessness. Eh, guess those are the perils of trying to understand a person from what you read on a forum.

I've been all over, dork. Nice underhanded pass at me though.

I tend to notice a lot of uppity lifers in the expat resident space get pissy when someone has a different opinion or experience or wants to vent from time to time. That's ok.

They're usually married to a local and tend to embellish a lot. Best food in the world . Nicest people in the world. Delusional.

Deal with it bud.
I'm actually divorced from a local (rather than married to one), so you'll probably cut me some slack when I say that you are painting Indonesians with a broad brush. And, as most of us here understand that Indonesians are actually people, and view them as individual people, rather than as, "residents of Jakarta, which sucks", we don't like it.

No, you don't vent to strangers by applying general negative comments to most of their friends. That is asinine, and will get you called out anywhere, even here.

Troll much?

I'm married to a local and I wouldn't say Indonesian food is the best even in South East Asia, it wouldn't make my top 3 (Thailand, Vietnam and Myanmar would all be higher). In fact the only SEA country I'd rate lower for food is Philippines.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back