Would you travel to Indonesia now? Should I stay, or should I go now...

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
We’re in the US during the school year, but usually go to our house in Indonesia for 2.5 months during the summer.

With the Corona virus going on, I think there is a very good chance that our local school will announce their closure this month. Given that’s it’s just another 2 months or so left in the school year, if they do close, I think it’s likely for the rest of the school year.

I think I’d rather go to Indonesia with the family, than just stay in the US. I know that the level of medical care is different in Indonesia, but likely if millions are infected, all the hospitals anywhere are going to be full. We do have Indonesian insurance.

We have a few relatives that are sick, or need a full time nurse. My FIL had a brain aneurism a few years ago, and one auntie has given up on breast cancer, after a tough round of chemo. We don’t know how much longer they will be around. I’d rather take the opportunity and spend time with them and other family members while we can.

I heard they will be closing schools and other attractions in Indonesia. There are so many theories about warmer weather helping to kill the virus, or limit it’s transmission.

What would you do? Our family is comprised of our 7.5 year old, mom is in her late 30’s, and I’m almost in my mid 50’s.

I would say stay in the US JC.
Most likely travel bans will be in place or enforced quarantine for 2 weeks soon.
The other thing to consider is , what if you do make it here to family & are carrying the virus and make the sick relatives sicker, and basically end their lives? How would that make you feel?
Unless you have no healthcare insurance in the US

The Indonesia website with all the info on states that diagnosis and treatment for this virus will be free.

Not easy.

For a tourist I would say; don't travel and stay at home. Even without discussing the chance of getting the virus and its mortality rate; chances are too high countries go in lock-down, all travel will become impossible. Not to mention restaurants, hotels, resorts and transportation companies will (be) close(d). Then those people are stuck and probably can't get home.

But in your case it's different; you go 'home' and stay long(er). And you have family here. So then those logistical and convenience risks become much smaller. If you return at the end of summer things should be better.

And in an own house where you can avoid contact with people you would be much less vulnerable. Now of course you do take a risk when traveling (even with the good air filtration system in the planes). Don't forget Indonesia is still in the initial phase of the epidemic, that has the advantage many things are still possible and you can get to places but also the disadvantage that the chance on infection is rather high since practically nobody follows directions and don't apply self-quarantine when they're sick. I wouldn't have any illusions on treatment, but hey, look at Italy.

If I would decide to go I would leave now. Not in a week or so. (I think it will be much worse and chaotic.)

Last edited:
Hi Jaime. On the one hand is the: what are the US health officials saying regarding travel, as BA said what if you get the virus and transmit it to vulnerable relatives, what if you end up stuck and quarantined along the way, what if the US doesn't let you back in as things evolve? These are reality and fear based concerns. Then on the other hand no one may get sick, you may not get quarantined and there may be no issues getting back to the US. Also, the concerns/fears about not seeing a loved one again are also very strong and can also be filled with regrets. On a personal level, my wife says ,despite those concerns, she would choose to go to see her loved ones. I may do the same thing but for sure it's a difficult decision and hindsight can be 20/20, however, we can only each weigh our concerns and do what seems right given our circumstances.

I can't tell you what to do, only what I would do in a situation like yours. My guess is that I would go to Indonesia.

The first concern is for your daughter, of course. And in that regard, her health is probably going to be okay either way, since it doesn't seem like the virus hits youngsters hard.

Then the concern become, god forbid, if either of her parents got it. Like you say, medical care is likely to suck in the US so I'm not sure it matters if it ain't great in Indonesia. You'll survive or not, it's probably a crap shoot no matter what (with odds stacked in your favor if you are under 60).

Truly worst case scenario and one or both parents die, where would she best off? I'm guessing Indonesia, with its extended family system. Plus if she considers Indonesia home and already knows more family there, so much the better.

Of course, a lot of assumptions are embedded in my comments. I offer them up for your consideration only, I would not presume to give real advice in a situation like this.

Come here. If fate decides you're going to get it you can get it there or here either way. Assuming you can get flights and they let you in. The virus is everywhere now anyway so you have just as much chance catching it in USA as you have here

come to indonesia, mind personal higiene. here, there if it is your time to get the virus you will get it no matter where you are, focus on the positive side

Where will you spend most of your time? Some islands are turning away visitors. Twelve surfers are stuck on a boat with little fuel and no food as authorities refuse entry to Sumba, for example.

Most likely travel bans will be in place or enforced quarantine for 2 weeks soon.

Australia has just issued enforced a fourteen day quarantine period for all returning travellers to the country, some of us extending our stay in Indonesia should the ban continue too far into the future.

Not sure if you'll even get a flight from the US to Indonesia. No flights to Europe and the middle eastern airlines are cancelling most flights.

I also wonder what happens to people overstaying visas around the world who cannot leave the countries they are in.

Yes I wondered that too about the visa thing, tourists overstaying etc who can't get flights out, is the onus on them to leave anyway regardless? Or any amnesty. I mean it's not like there are no flights at all, I am in and out to SG and KL weekly for business and have no problems, maybe the schedule is less but you can still leave, even if only a visa run for them. I guess it is up to them to leave somehow, their own responsibility

A consideration for Jamie C might be what transit stops you have on the way. Given sudden decisions to require all incoming passengers to quarantine for 14 day, as has happened overnight with Australia, it would be as well to check the day before departure as to the requirements at the transit stop as well as destination. Were a passenger found to have a fever all passengers might be quarantined. Then there is the issue of the tickets being either changeable or refundable.

I also wonder what happens to people overstaying visas around the world who cannot leave the countries they are in.
I guess it is up to them to leave somehow, their own responsibility

It seems Imigrasi will help finding solutions:

rough translation:

Immigration related info CORONAVIRUS
Granting a Forced Condition of Residence Permit for Chinese citizens who cannot return to their country due to lack of transportation can be done at the nearest immigration office.

My take on the visa situation is it is a secondary thing, the focus is on stopping/ slowing the spread, then other matters are dealt with after that.
IF I was on a visa here, due to expire, I would go to the local immigration office to find out what they know/ suggest & if it was pragmatic or not. I would assume that due to borders closing it puts the visas into what we could describe as extraordinary measures, & one would assume that most governments would give extensions and waive penalties.
Otherwise they would be negating the border closures . Just my 2 cents.
I would also be contacting the embassy or at the very least looking on their websites for latest advice/updates.

There is a really good website somewhere with info country by country as it becomes available... let me see if I can find it.
If so I will make a new thread for that as a specific travel advice thing.

Well, if Imigrasi did it for the Chinese, they will probably also provide the forced residence permits for others.

I think travel from the US over here via Europe will be extremely complicated. And more and more close their borders. Probably westward via Japan or Singapore is still a viable option.

Singapore just implemented something minutes ago about it and it looks complicated. And more so for those who are just doing a visa run either to collect kitas or turn around in the airport

For the latter, remember they insist you exit immigration and reenter. You can't just be transit. Even if you have your boarding card already and check in online.

Maybe they give amnesty? I mean they want people to stay home alone 14 days. There's no flights. And most countries aren't excepting people back in without a quarantine?

My take on the visa situation is it is a secondary thing, the focus is on stopping/ slowing the spread, then other matters are dealt with after that.
IF I was on a visa here, due to expire, I would go to the local immigration office to find out what they know/ suggest & if it was pragmatic or not. I would assume that due to borders closing it puts the visas into what we could describe as extraordinary measures, & one would assume that most governments would give extensions and waive penalties.
Otherwise they would be negating the border closures . Just my 2 cents.
I would also be contacting the embassy or at the very least looking on their websites for latest advice/updates.

There is a really good website somewhere with info country by country as it becomes available... let me see if I can find it.
If so I will make a new thread for that as a specific travel advice thing.

Here‘s a very good list, country specific.

If we come, we will transit through Tokyo. On a Japanese airline.

Given how fluid the situation is, I can’t tell what the restrictions will be like next week. Fingers crossed.

One good thing, is that there are plenty of frequent flyer award tickets available. I just wouldn’t book international legs on an American carrier, given how many are suspending those flights.

Thanks for all the opinions. I sincerely hope that Indonesia isn’t hit hard.

Where will you spend most of your time? Some islands are turning away visitors. Twelve surfers are stuck on a boat with little fuel and no food as authorities refuse entry to Sumba, for example.

Australia has just issued enforced a fourteen day quarantine period for all returning travellers to the country, some of us extending our stay in Indonesia should the ban continue too far into the future.
For the first couple of months we’d be in Jakarta a little, but mostly Bandung.

We had already planned a trip to Jogja and Solo in June a few months back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819