Twitter Wars: Bali vs. Kristen Gray

The latest news is she's being detained by Immigration awaiting deportation. No news links from "reputable" media yet tho.

The latest news is she's being detained by Immigration awaiting deportation. No news links from "reputable" media yet tho.
Actually, here is the press release from immigration:

Bali immigration has detained her pending deportation for violating her visa, and for spreading information that is considered "unsettling to society", such as the LGBTQ friendliness of Bali, and ease of entering Bali during a pandemic.

EsF8mEPVEAIf-S4.jpg
EsF8mENUwAEhiTc.jpg

EsF8mEQVEAApjQL.jpg

Actually, here is the press release from immigration:

Bali immigration has detained her pending deportation for violating her visa, and for spreading information that is considered "unsettling to society", such as the LGBTQ friendliness of Bali, and ease of entering Bali during a pandemic.

View attachment 1690View attachment 1691

View attachment 1692
I'm not saying I laughed out loud or anything, however the devil within me has little empathy with those who do not chose to learn about the most basic rules/regs/laws of a country they plan on 'living' in.
Must go now to mop up the coffee I splurted out when I saw that post over on Twitter ;)

I don't follow ANY twitter. If I was going to pay any attention at all, though, I am sure Expat Indo would be on my list.

What's really weird, though, is that I have zero memory of this thread. I must have sleep-posted.
OOh pusp, you really should- you missed a gem today re Gwyneth Paltrow's exploding vagina scented candles.

It seems she is charged under immigration law UU No. 6 2011 for two charges.

#1 - Pasal 75 Ayat 1 - for endangering and disturbing the community by promoting LGBT lifestyle and foreign tourism to Bali during a pandemic. This section of law is open to broad interpretation and not surprising they have applied it here.

#2 - Pasal 122 huruf A - for intentionally participating in activities in contrary to the intent of their visa. Simply working online likely would not have been enough to trigger this charge, but she established clear intent since her ebook tells others how to do it, use the wrong visa, avoid taxes, etc.

Pasal 122 clearly states penalty of up to 5 years in jail and 500jt fine, she should be happy to be simply deported!

Last edited:

#1 - Pasal 75 Ayat 1 - for endangering and disturbing the community by promoting LGBT lifestyle and foreign tourism to Bali during a pandemic. This section of law is open to broad interpretation and not surprising they have applied it here.

#2 - Pasal 122 huruf A - for intentionally participating in activities in contrary to the intent of their visa. Simply working online likely would not have been enough to trigger this charge, but she established clear intent since her ebook tells others how to do it, use the wrong visa, avoid taxes, etc.

Pasal 22 clearly states penalty of up to 5 years in jail and 500jt fine, she should be happy to be simply deported!
Perhaps a lesson will be learnt too, to do the basics in research before going to her next destination to do her DN thing.

Pasal 22 clearly states penalty of up to 5 years in jail and 500jt fine, she should be happy to be simply deported!

They had a slam dunk visa violation case, but nooo....gotta bring up the whole LGBTQ thing. I'm just waiting for US Twitter to wake up and find all the "BALI DETAINS FOREIGN COUPLE FOR BEING GAY" posts.

I guess her plans and dreams on being a best selling ebook author have been deleted.

They had a slam dunk visa violation case, but nooo....gotta bring up the whole LGBTQ thing. I'm just waiting for US Twitter to wake up and find all the "BALI DETAINS FOREIGN COUPLE FOR BEING GAY" posts.
They even had a slam dunk on the Pasal 75 Ayat 1 charge without the LGBTQ angle.

It will be lost in all the inauguration news :)

Encouraging people to ignore Covid restrictions alone is a serious matter. Remember that Rizieq Shihab was arrested for it. She’s lucky that she’s only getting deported.

I agree they would do well to create a digital nomad visa, but they should make it at least $10k/yr if they're going to be tax exempt.

Someone making $50k per year would pay about $10k/yr in income tax in Indonesia (calculator). Simpler to just make a flat annual tax of a large amount like $10k or $15k to get the visa, rather than all the work of trying to verify and investigate foreign accounts, which people would inevitably try and cheat their reported income.

I'm not sure many nomads are making $50k/year.

The point seems to be that you can earn, say $15k/year from clients in the West and spend it all on Indonesia, which doesn't seem a bad thing from Indonesia's point of view. If you are going to demand $10k up front, then that's going to send these people to other countries.

Some countries are charging just a few hundred dollars.

I would suggest charging maybe 20 million rp of which 5 million would be the visa fee, and 15 million a non-refundable repayment towards taxes

The point seems to be that you can earn, say $15k/year from clients in the West and spend it all on Indonesia, which doesn't seem a bad thing from Indonesia's point of view. If you are going to demand $10k up front, then that's going to send these people to other countries.
Does Indonesia really want the $15k/yr 'digital nomads' living perpetually? I suspect not, but setting the amount would be a good way to regulate the type of DNs that use the visa. Perhaps a $500 'Working Holiday' visa which is 6 months, non-renewable, only permitted one per year, as well as a $5000-10000 'Digital Nomad' KITAS visa which is 1 year, renewable, and allows dependents.

Of course none of this will ever happen :ROFLMAO:

Gray, who is from Los Angeles, told reporters after immigration officials announced the deportation: “I am not guilty. I have not overstayed my visa. I am not making money in Indonesian rupiah. I put out a statement about LGBT and I am deported because I am LGBT.”

That line about not making money in Indonesian rupiah. Isn't it illegal these days to sell anything in dollars?
Will she revise the chapter in her book about how LGBT friendly Bali is?

She still maintains that she doesn’t do anything wrong because she doesn’t earn any amount in Rupiah. I guess it’s tough to keep her mouth shut since she earns her living selling ebooks.

Well another person puts her crimes available online and it blows up in her face. The arrogance and entitlement she displays has been unbelievable.

My reading of pasal 75 of U.U. No. 6 Tahun 2011 is that there is no prison time, just deportation. Basically it gives immigration any reason they justify to kick out a foreigner, they have the power to do so. Did anyone else come to this interpretation?

I am not making money in Indonesian rupiah.

It is amazing that because people do things in English and business through American tech giants, they think they are exempt from another country's laws or no one will find out. Indonesia has one of the highest social media usage rates in the world.

I found it interesting how imigrasi charged her with writing, publishing, and selling a book while she was physically located in Indonesia on a tourist visa. Also her consulting services were targeted at expats, regardless of whether they were already in Bali or not. They didn't need to touch on the digital nomad work she may have been doing offshore.

I honestly have doubts of her income. In my personal experience the vast majority of "lifestyle influencers" are fake it until you make it. I think she was still in the faking it category. She put in one of her early deleted tweets that she was living off savings trying to get her graphic design business successful. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the few books she sold was to imigrasi for evidence.

The story circulated more among black twitter. The black community is notoriously less accepting of homosexuality. It got less traction than the tweets about her race.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back