Punishment for women who don't want to wear jilbab

Both situations exist and they're not black and white. There's a spectrum. Some do it 100% voluntarily because they believe and have strong faith (at least in the wearing of hijab even if not in other parts of their lives). On the opposite end, some who do not want to wear it but are "forced" by the husband, parents, etc. somewhere in the middle are those who are "persuaded" by their peers and family, or those who are "convinced", or those who are "life will be simpler if I just wear it in public"....

The longer I live here, the more I realise that the idea that women wear the jilbab "voluntarily" is completely incorrect.

The problem with absolute statements is that it’s incorrect.

Today there is a considerable peer pressure put on Muslim women in Indonesia to wear a jilbab, but until wearing it is the law for every woman, then by definition it’s voluntary.

A lot of women do it to fit in, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a good number of women actually want to wear it. I know plenty of women who started wearing it when it was still seen as weird or fanatical. In other word, they wore it in defiance of society. During Suharto’s time women’s uniform did not come with a jilbab version, which means wearing a jilbab technically made you out of uniform, which was a serious offense for a government employee. Despite the risk I saw several women voluntarily modifying their uniform to incorporate a jilbab, knowing full well that it could put their career in jeopardy.

I do not know what all hijab wearing women think nor do I want to know. All I know is what many know. I will defend any female who chooses on her own accord to wear hijab. If pressured to wear, I defend the female but not the hijab.

Both situations exist and they're not black and white. There's a spectrum. Some do it 100% voluntarily because they believe and have strong faith (at least in the wearing of hijab even if not in other parts of their lives). On the opposite end, some who do not want to wear it but are "forced" by the husband, parents, etc. somewhere in the middle are those who are "persuaded" by their peers and family, or those who are "convinced", or those who are "life will be simpler if I just wear it in public"....
Was going to say that.
Who "motivates" them to wear it ?

When working in Saudi, taking the plane to Europe, you could see several "locally dressed" young women heading for the lavatory and come out in.a nice western outfit.
There was a time women in Teheran would dress in jean and Tshirt, or skirt...

Before the fall of Suharto there were really not that many females wearing hijab. After the fall the Islamic organizations took a stronger role and the arab influanced ones wanted hijabs. There were no laws that they could use to get females into hijabs so they used the best weapon they had in their arsenal. Humiliation.

Campaigns were started to humiliate the males in order to force females into hijabs. Fathers were told they were bad Muslims if they didn't demand their wives and daughters hijab. Boys were told they were bad Muslims if they didn't demand their sisters and female friends to hijab. Right in the middle of all this humiliation was the Arab/Indonesian led FPI.

Basically, in the beginning females were forced to wear a hijab. Over time, it changed to being a choice for many girls but no matter what, that family and peer pressure is still out there. What I don't understand are those that think a hijab brings them some sort of protection while reading all the media reports of the sexual assaults in Muslim controlled schools. They didn't protect the young wearers of hijab.

I remember getting the Air Asia flight out of Tehran 10 years ago. After a few minutes the pilot said "we have just left Iranian airspace". I looked around and the women were just ripping off their veils with big smiles on their faces. :LOL:
Before covid restriction all one needed to do was take a flight to Singapore and sit and watch the procession to the restrooms to see one go in with hijab and exit dressed completely differently totally without hijab. Some just took them off in their seats. Flights to Bali could cause one to see a girl in hijab depart and either on the plane or airport, the hijab seemed to disapeare. Not saying that any of these girls wore because they were forced to. In all likelyhood they wore them to fit in somewhere.

Remember that the situation was extreme enough earlier this year that the government had to issue a law that schools could not force kids to wear hijabs. One of the main drivers of that was that even the Christian girls were being forced to wear hijabs.

Before covid restriction all one needed to do was take a flight to Singapore and sit and watch the procession to the restrooms to see one go in with hijab and exit dressed completely differently totally without hijab. Some just took them off in their seats. Flights to Bali could cause one to see a girl in hijab depart and either on the plane or airport, the hijab seemed to disapeare. Not saying that any of these girls wore because they were forced to. In all likelyhood they wore them to fit in somewhere.

& there's also a chance some of them took them off to fit in.

Remember that the situation was extreme enough earlier this year that the government had to issue a law that schools could not force kids to wear hijabs. One of the main drivers of that was that even the Christian girls were being forced to wear hijabs.
I can just imagine how those non hijab girls despite the law, will now be ostracised

& there's also a chance some of them took them off to fit in.
That’s the point. Fitting in is a big deal for most Indonesians. Wearing a hijab is not a legal requirement, but if all your friends wear one, then you wear it too just to not stand out. When they travel to a place where the hijab is not common, they gladly adopt a different attire to blend in.

To most women it’s an article of clothing, not an article of faith.

Just a thought exercise. I know Indonesian women who wear the jilbab in Indonesia, but take it off when they’re visiting USA. They have visited America enough to know that many Americans aren’t necessarily friendly to identifiable Muslims, so they feel that it’s safer to do without. If they genuinely believe in covering their hair but abandon the practice out of fear, wouldn’t that be similar to the concern in Indonesia (except the other way around)?

Just a thought exercise. I know Indonesian women who wear the jilbab in Indonesia, but take it off when they’re visiting USA. They have visited America enough to know that many Americans aren’t necessarily friendly to identifiable Muslims, so they feel that it’s safer to do without. If they genuinely believe in covering their hair but abandon the practice out of fear, wouldn’t that be similar to the concern in Indonesia (except the other way around)?
Sure, that applies but why remove it going to Singapore or Bali? Hijabs wearers have no fears there and are welcome in both of them.

I remember getting the Air Asia flight out of Tehran 10 years ago. After a few minutes the pilot said "we have just left Iranian airspace". I looked around and the women were just ripping off their veils with big smiles on their faces. :LOL:
It's a big enough deal that they announce when they are leaving Iranian airspace? How common is that? I've been on numerous international flights all over the world and have never heard an announcement like that.

I have a Muslim girlfriend, does anyone know an online store where I can buy a abayas for her?
Guys, the laws and customs in Islamic states are different. Every woman has been wearing a Jilbab or burka since childhood. Such are the customs that Islam enforces. And therefore, criticizing such statements won't change anything. You will never change those people. They have been living this way for more than a thousand years. We have free states that allow you to wear whatever you want and express your opinion on any question. Therefore, if you are surprised or outraged by this statement, it is useless to criticize it.

Guys, the laws and customs in Islamic states are different.
But we're talking about Indonesia right? It's not an Islamic state/country. Islam as a religion is practiced differently globally (just like Christianity). Would good people who happen to have the Muslim faith but do not adhere to the dress codes go to hell? Who really knows? Why don't we leave people with their own personal freedoms? This include those of the same faith not pushing their peers to dress a certain way or to practice the religion a specific way. Just a thought.

Why don't we leave people with their own personal freedoms? This include those of the same faith not pushing their peers to dress a certain way or to practice the religion a specific way. Just a thought.
Religions just like society have rules. Some may not make sense to you but they are there anyway. You can choose to practice whatever religion you want but each religion has it's own rules. Many people cannot choose where they live but still have follow the rules of the society that live in. Where do we draw the line with personal freedoms? Is it really OK to eat pork if you are Muslim? What about wine and beer? Why is covering your head any different from the other rules?

Why is covering your head any different from the other rules?
It's different because it discriminates by gender. Both men and women are not supposed to drink alcohol, but it's only women who have to cover their hair.

However, inherent sexism is hardly a problem unique to Islam. In Roman Catholicism, women aren't allowed to be priests, for example.

Reactions: LRB
It's different because it discriminates by gender. Both men and women are not supposed to drink alcohol, but it's only women who have to cover their hair.
Gender roles have traditionally been different in every society. I don't feel it's inherently discrimination because some of the rules may be slightly different between males and females, especially if you believe in the source of the religion. If you go by the book (whichever one you choose) then you believe in the wisdom of those rules and will follow those rules. If not, you are free to do as your society's man made rules will allow.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tehtelor
Back