Mobil Rakyat...new cars

The herald of BMW's new 4 series.

2bdycjjbn1kn_800.jpg

Quite an impressive grille.

Sexy!

Too bad it'll probably be ludicrously priced in Indonesia.

Yeah, the current 4-series costs 1.4 billion, with a price of 2.1 billion for the M4.

Btw, Audi has done a similar thing as BMW at the time, creating an A5 and A7 range for the more sporty models. Read: coupé and convertible. With BMW those are the 2, 4, 6 and 8 series.

For the convertible it didn't really work out as planned so the next Audi will be an A4 cabriolet again, instead of an A5.

There will be an update of the Mercedes E class real soon.

There have been leaks of the new looks already. Quite a big change.

2soy3bzbhgqu_800.jpg

3sgyiw0bntid_800.jpg

In the showroom in the summer. Convertible, coupé, etc. somewhat later.

This model will also have a plugin hybrid version, the E300(d)e. So as the current model in combination with gasoline, but now also as diesel. MB announced those two will get an AWD version too.

I did see the Tesla X from the online taxi service a couple of times now.

The new model Y will be the next car they introduce. As for the model 3, for that one there will be huge queuing also.

images

Just tried silverbird Tesla X from airport to Kota Wisata, less than Rp 700k, excluding toll fee

IMG_20200128_162208-800x600.jpg

Very nice car. I've asked the driver to show off the car. He did, except for auto navigation which he doesn't know how to use it, and have been asked not to try to use it.
Very impressive monitor and navigation screen, radar and ultrasonic system interesting to see on the screen how motorcycles move around the cars like annoying flies.

Is that the normal silverbird price for that ride @jstar or is there an additional Tesla mark-up?

Is that the normal silverbird price for that ride @jstar or is there an additional Tesla mark-up?
I think, it's normal silverbird price.
Not very often using silver bird. Last year, from kota wisata to airport w/ Alphard we paid around 600k, but it was very early morning, no traffic jam at all.

One can book an electric car via the Grab App.

this will only work if the departure is the airport (only terminal 3 I gather).

It is more expensive, see the screen shots.

E522D378-ADAB-4565-BE05-CC27375E1B24.jpeg
5700ABD1-75BC-4501-B9C9-3A72A9404369.png
BF354865-828B-425F-8369-DAF8E0C90072.png

Toyota has introduced a new build approach, called TNGA (Toyota's New Global Architecture).

The end of this year, half of the new cars should be based on the dedicated platform solution, big and small. So a Camry, RAV4, Yaris, etc. all should get it over time.

5da82e0d11cef.jpg

Currently Toyota is using more than 100 platforms worldwide so it makes sense to standardize more. Esp. when they saw that the Volkswagen group is rather successful with the standard MQB platform.

Now TGNA is more than just the bottom of a car. It consists of a whole range of (lighter) parts and can be used for both front-wheel and rear-wheel drivetrains. New engine families are also part of TNGA.

According to Toyota, cars with the TNGA platform will have the lowest center of gravity in their segment. Moreover they will be between 30 and 65% more stiff than their current models, which ensures both better driving characteristics and crash safety.

It seems the Suzuki Jimny has finally arrived here.

I saw this dark green version at Mall of Indonesia. Rather nice.

images

I read in the news that GM is withdrawing from Indonesia by next year.

After withdrawing from India and Indonesia, General Motors will also stop most activities in Australia, New Zealand and Thailand.

So -as expected- Holden will be no more. The company does not want to support and invest anymore (in) the RHD markets.

There would still be some US Chevy import, these would be tranformed from LHD to RHD by a specialized company called GMSV.

Of course there's no change for Wuling.

At the end of the nineties, Suzuki stretched the Grand Vitara a few centimeters and suddenly had an larger SUV on the price list with the XL-7 that had room for seven passengers. The successor appeared in 2006, now known as XL7.

And now there's a brand new XL7.

Well. In fact, this Indonesian newcomer is an XL6 as it was presented in India last August. That XL6 shares its basis, just like the XL7, with the Ertiga, the seven-seater MPV. So the XL6 and XL7 with their plastic wheel arch edges and rugged-looking bumpers are in fact a more SUV-like alternative to the Ertiga. As what Toyota has done for a long time with its Rush (a SUV version of the Avanza) and what Honda did with the BR-V (Mobilio).

Like the XL6, the XL7 is 4.45 meters long and has a wheelbase of 2.74 meters. There is a 1.5 liter gasoline engine that can be combined with a manual five-speed gearbox and an automatic transmission with four gears.

Prices range between 230 and 267 Juta.

IMG_8348.jpg

After withdrawing from India and Indonesia, General Motors will also stop most activities in Australia, New Zealand and Thailand.

So -as expected- Holden will be no more. The company does not want to support and invest anymore (in) the RHD markets.

There would still be some US Chevy import, these would be tranformed from LHD to RHD by a specialized company called GMSV.

Of course there's no change for Wuling.

Globally, more cars are LHD. But that's no excuse for GM, truth could be they are losing market.

The weird thing, is that Opel is being (re)introduced in Japan. In that country it was rather popular 25 years ago, the bestseller of the GM group. In Indonesia, Opel and GM have been popular, esp. when it was still a Dutch colony. Most recently the Opel Blazer (yes, you guessed it right, a Chevy) was sold for 6 years before it became a Chevrolet.

So under GM the brand disappeared, now PSA (let's say the Peugeot Citroën group) will start selling it in Asia again.

The new Opels don't share their platforms with GM brands als Buick and Holden anymore, but with PSA brands, as the Peugeots 208 and 3008. The latter is also sold here.

The Opels to be introduced in Asia will be the new Corsa (208) and the Grandland (3008).

IMG_8351.JPG
IMG_8352.JPG

The weird thing, is that Opel is being (re)introduced in Japan. In that country it was rather popular 25 years ago, the bestseller of the GM group. In Indonesia, Opel and GM have been popular, esp. when it was still a Dutch colony. Most recently the Opel Blazer (yes, you guessed it right, a Chevy) was sold for 6 years before it became a Chevrolet.

I had Opel blazer (2.7 liter) in Indonesia more than 15 years ago. Didn't really like it, heavy and slow. As far I recall, it was not same as Chevrolet blazer, which have bigger engine (4 liter) as well as larger size.

I had Opel blazer (2.7 liter) in Indonesia more than 15 years ago. Didn't really like it, heavy and slow. As far I recall, it was not same as Chevrolet blazer, which have bigger engine (4 liter) as well as larger size.

The car was the practically the same with a body style influenced by the Brazilian Blazer but I think it was a 2.2 liter, or was that later at the change to Chevrolet? Anyway, the engine was co-developed by Holden/Opel. So a weird mix between USA, Brazil, Germany and Australia.

It will be interesting to see if Opel will return to other countries after Japan. PSA is rather ambitious.

Even if it's developed by a Chinese company (as Kaicene from the company Changan), this new Peugeot Landtrek pick-up truck we won't see in Indonesia. It seems to be reserved for South America and Africa.

a2qywz1b3fry_800.jpg

Last edited:
To get our mind off things:

Toyota Astra Motor (TAM) introduced a new version of the luxury MPV's Alphard and Vellfire MPV.

Toyota embeds a number of new features to add safety and comfort. The cars are now equipped with Toyota Safety Sense features, such as PCS (Pre-Collision System), LDA (Lane Departure Alert), DRCC (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) and AHB (Automatic High Beam).

One might say lane departure warning and automatic high beams are not very useful here, but it would be weird not to have your flagships carry the features which already exist for years in other models.

This is how PCS works:

Inside there are also some improvements as better entertainment features such as a wider screen.

In 2019, sales of them combined were 4,637 units. Obviously the prices go up again, a staggering 100 Juta (!) on average; Alphard prices start at Rp 1,025,200,000. While Vellfire is priced at Rp 1,177,600,000. (OTR Jakarta.)

Price List of Alphard and Vellfire 2020
Vellfire 2.5 G A / T: 1,177,600,000
Alphard 2.5 X A / T: 1,025,200,000
Alphard 2.5 G A / T: 1,179,600,000
Alphard 3.5 Q A / T: 1,936,100,000

Last edited:
Most car manufacturers worldwide have halted their production.

And the sales obviously dropped dramatically. And the stock prices are going down the drain.

Also of Tesla, who just started selling their new model Y in the US, From a stock price of roughly $750 at the beginning of the month, the value has plummeted to $395. The enormous climb of the past months (up to $900) has been canceled.

The model Y then. In fact it's more a crossover version of the model 3. Also a duckface but a bit higher, a bit longer, a bit ... you get my drift.

rz6yadmbfgxh.jpg

There is a new competitor for Tesla in electro land. Not Volkswagen, which seems to have major software problems with their ID.3. The brand is called Polestar and this is how their model 2 looks like:

v2yy8hcbbaz1_800.jpg

n0cybscbdqxb_800.jpg

And I hear you say, that looks like a Volvo! Well, it's a sibling from Volvo in the Geely group. The brand's marketing and sales model but even the specs and pricing of the car is very similar to Tesla.

I'm not sure if introducing it as a Volvo would not have been a better way to success but we will see.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back