Mobil Rakyat...new cars

My son is or was a member of a car sharing scheme in Vancouver. As far as I know it works quite well.

Absolutely. Population density is key, that's why people who live in a detached house in the American countryside or suburb will not really appreciate the concept. If you live in a big city in a townhouse or apartment block, it makes perfect sense. Parking is amazingly expensive, car ownership is inefficient since for most short trips public transportation will do, and driving itself is hell.

Also in Dutch and Belgian cities the system is successful, there is a dedicated carpool system by homeowner associations but also a 'locate a car (via an app) and take it'. Compare the latter somewhat with the city bicycle you can take from the racks on the sidewalks by a credit card deposit. In cities as Vienna, Munich and Lyon there are pilot projects.

Now even the car manufacturers as Volkswagen, jump on the bandwagon and will provide all-electric pool cars.

The new ASX / Outlander Sport is being introduced.

It used to be quite popular but after the introduction of the Honda HR-V, you practically don't see the Mitsubishi anymore...

40oyo2xbyysn_800.jpg

Now it's quite expensive and in fact you don't really get a lot for that money; interior space which is subpar (when I sit in the front it feels cramped), large and heavily taxed engines which don't offer that much power and skai / imitation leather seat covers don't really help.

The new BMW 3-series already exists a couple of month.

vjtykxwbit81_480.jpg

However, in Indonesia you won't find the new model (G20) in the showrooms and even on their website yet.

These are the models and prices of the previous 3-series (F30):
3-series-saloon-1920x1200-400x250.jpeg

TypeHarga
320i Luxury F30 2018Rp 838.000.000
330i M Sport F30 2018Rp 1.000.000.000
320i Sport Shadow F30 2019Rp 890.000.000
330i M Sport Shadow F30 2019Rp 1.055.000.000
The all- New 3 Series G20Rp *

Now if I look at these models in Europe and compare their old and new prices, I see a difference between €3.000 and €5.000.

So that would mean the new 320i would probably almost hit the 900 juta mark in Indonesia. That is approx. €20K / $25K more than what you'd have to pay in the west.

I know we're talking about new cars here, but if you want a pretty good deal on a young second hand sedan, a 3-series from 2018 could be interesting. You find a 320i between 500 juta (with 15.000 km) and 700 juta (5.000 km), so with not so many -official- miles on the odometer. After the introduction of the G20, that could/should even improve.

Hmm, after the warranty period I would never ever visit the official workshop again except for a recall.

I wouldn't pay over €40 per hour, I'm not crazy.

And in Indonesia, it is much cheaper to maintain your car.

Also, don't trust all these JD Power lists etc. They talk about how satisfied the owners are after three months. Come one, then there's no big issue yet. Also, MB and BMW owners are much more spoiled and complain faster than others. (Perhaps they have a point since they paid more.)

A brand I would never ever buy myself anymore, is Landrover/Range Rover. Nor Jaguar.

Based on service by YourMechanic and compared to the median model
Rank Car Models Most
Likely Not to Start
Frequency
1Hyundai Tiburon26x
2Dodge Caravan26x
3Ford F-250 Super Duty21x
4Ford Taurus19x
5Chrysler PT Cruiser18x
6Cadillac DTS17x
7Hummer H311x
8Nissan Titan10x
9Chrysler Sebring10x
Dodge Ram 150010x

Just random thought, the type of people to buy a cheap budget hyundai tiburon do not have the knowledge or budget to do basic maintenance (eg battery etc) and so would possibly be more likely to experience problems. They maybe leave the headlights on at night, or conversely like the lorry drivers in dubai who drive at night through the desert with NO lights on, to save fuel!!

Or in Egypt at the Red Sea resorts; there is a car approaching, let's turn on the lights again.

But you never know; perhaps that Hyundai Coupé as we call it in Europe, was sold a lot in states as Arizona, Texas and California. And perhaps the coolant they use in that model is subpar in hot climates. Or the battery used was of lousy quality.

Ridiculous example but you see what I mean; it reminds me of a guy who visited the workshop with an engine problem:
"So what is the issue sir?"
"When I buy vanilla ice cream the engine won't start the first time"
"Que?"
"But when I buy chocolate, it is okay."

Crazy right? But they keep the less popular chocolate ice cream in the back of the store so it takes longer to buy, with vanilla he was back in the car sooner. And when buying chocolate ice cream and staying away longer, the car had more time to cool down.

When a comment starts off with, "The type of people who ...." it says more about the commentator than the type of people who, regardless of what comes next.

Avanza is still the top selling car by over 1000 units in the month of May. Followed by another Toyota (Rush) and Mitsubishi Expander.

Top 10 Cars sold in Indonesia in May 2019: (source)

1. Toyota Avanza: 7.362 unit
2. Toyota Rush: 6.311 unit
3. Mitsubishi Xpander: 5.101 unit
4. Daihatsu Sigra: 4.957 unit
5. Suzuki Carry Pick-up: 4.447 unit
6. Honda Brio Satya: 4.030 unit
7. Toyota Innova: 3.916 unit
8. Toyota Calya: 3.877 unit
9. Daihatsu Gran Max Pick-up: 2.812 unit
10. Toyota Agya: 2.455 unit
11. Suzuki Ertiga: 2.388 unit
12. Daihatsu Ayla: 2.222 unit
13. Toyota Fortuner: 2.095 unit
14. Honda Mobilio: 1.888 unit
15. Mitsubishi L-300 Pick-up: 1.792 unit
16. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport: 1.774 unit
17. Honda HR-V: 1.621 unit
18. Honda Jazz: 1.085 unit
19. Nissan Livina: 1.056 unit
20. Daihatsu Terios: 877 unit

What's also interesting about the list, is that you see the big amount of cars registered in Indonesia every month. Approx. 60.000.

Seems a lot, right? But if you look at the EU for instance, which has approx. double the amount of inhabitants of Indonesia, the total number of cars sold goes over 1,2 million per month!

Now they split up (semi) identical cars so it gives a bit of a distorted image. For instance, a Toyota Azanza and Daihatsu Xenia are practically identical cars.

If you consider that then the number one spot is for the Sigra (4) and Calya (8) combo, together 8,800 units sold. They are very popular as GrabCar and GoCar vehicles.

Numbers 3 and 19 also should/could be added together, just like 10 and 12, and 2 and 20.

So in fact the top three is very close. I expect the Livina, which is in fact a bit better than the Xpander, to climb a lot in the ranking.

What I find striking is that Toyota/Daihatsu has (nearly) a whopping 60% of the market. Noteworthy as well, is that the top 20 are all Japanese companies; not one US, European, Chinese or any Asian neighbor product made the list.

Ya, Astra is huge. And then they even have a huge chunk of the 2nd hand market...

The new BMW 3-series already exists a couple of month.

However, in Indonesia you won't find the new model (G20) in the showrooms and even on their website yet.

Talking about BMW, there is quite some contradictory news:

BMW has sold more than one million cars worldwide in the last six months. More than last year. BMW even speaks of a sales record.

The BMW Group, which also includes Mini and Rolls-Royce, has been able to sell 1,252,837 cars worldwide For the group it is a record, because never before the brand sold more than 1.25 million pieces.

In Europe, the percentage drops by -2.1 percent due to the sale of 549,894 cars. Homeland Germany, however, has a plus of 4.1 percent (163,862 cars). The largest growth was achieved in China with 16.8 percent. In total, more than 350,000 cars were sold in China .

Now the weird thing is, that the CEO gave his resignation. It seems the (family) shareholders were not too happy. The guy was rather young but has been with the company for over 26 years.

BMW had quite a good position in the electric cars, with their i3 and i8. But then they stagnated. And Mini doesn't do very well in that area too.

v34y15cba9zz_800.jpg

The announced MIni SE.

About a car that has my personal interest since I drive one myself: The Mitsubishi Pajero Sport will be facelifted soon.

End of the month the model that first appeared in 2015 will change.

jo6y0f4blg4s_800.jpg

18vyxgwbvkuw_800.jpg

This is a teaser of the new front:

a2uy8u3bp3pe_800.jpg

For obvious reasons I hope the back doesn't change too much...

Last edited:
The French really plan to expand also in South East Asia.

Now Renault will next to the Kwid (which is in fact a Datsun Go) and the Duster (which is in fact a Dacia) introduce the Triber. Also originally from India.

images

On size and price setting, this car should compete with the very popular Toyota Calya, a bit of a smaller and much cheaper version of the Avanza/Xenia siblings. Esp. popular with your Grab or GoCar drivers.

images

But honestly, it looks more like the Datsun Go+ Or even Datsun Cross. The prices of 150-160 Juta are rather steep then. If it doesn't outperform the two Datsuns, it will not be a best seller....

cross-exterior-18tdiinrhd-crosshelios101.jpg.ximg.l_full_h.smart.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819