Mixed Religion Marriages That Become Unmixed

I don't know, is cremation cheaper than other disposals? He does question the burial stuff. According to what he has learned, burial in Christian cemeteries is very hard to come by in Jakarta and the fees are high and an annual rental or something that his wife would have to take care of. Have no idea if this is a limited time thing since whoever is paying isn't going to last forever either.

I suppose I should look into here what burial cost but my plans right now are cremation for 8 juta and those ashes can be dumped anywhere although my wish is into Krakatoa but may only make it to the island shores. When it lows again big time my carbon elements could be spread all over the world contributing to new life everywhere. Imagine all living some day being related be it plant or animal. Of course, could just be a bunch of rocks too. Just not into spending a great deal for a box and people standing around watching you get covered up with dirt. Plus, it saves space. I plan cremation, my wife plans cremation for me, the family will of course try to get involved and get me buried somewhere. All will depend if my wife can stand up to them. My wife even has it in writing from me but hey, who pays attention to that stuff?
Move to Bali if you want to be cremated. I have seen them occur on the beaches. Even the ones crowded with Javanese hawkers.

And have all those tourists visit my ngaben? No thank you.

Yeah it definitely is haram. But some Christian movements also reject it (since it would hinder the resurrection of the dead). The guideline of the Catholic church has changed; people may be cremated but the ashes should be stored in a sacred place. So forget the sea or the 'ginger pot' at home.

Btw, other physical alterations as plastic surgery and tattoos, are in most cases also haram. Just like gold jewelry for men.

Well, down to a single question.
Once you die, what is the cheapest with the least amount of hassle way to dispose of the body? Muslim burial, christian burial, or cremation? His thinking, spirit is gone, just a dead body left.

Cremation was 7 Juta, jar was 2.5 Juta. Rather simple and straight forward. The wake (space, food, ....) made it expensive. But the envelopes from the visitors compensated a lot. I guess it also depends on location. Funerals I've witnessed close by were much more extensive.

I am under the impression that cremation is harum. Am I ill informed?

Your right it's a sin to cremate. Since one is dead the sin falls on those that are left behind. Also, technically speaking, in Islam a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man. But, a Muslim man can marry a Muslim, Christian, or a Jew. Not a pagan or polytheist.

The friend in the original post may be really considering a change in faith. The main benefit is all his sins are forgiven that were committed before the oath was taken. Entrance to heaven is the equivalent of paying the sum equivalent of the volume of the Earth filled with gold times 10.

The friend in the original post may be really considering a change in faith. The main benefit is all his sins are forgiven that were committed before the oath was taken. Entrance to heaven is the equivalent of paying the sum equivalent of the volume of the Earth filled with gold times 10.

I'm sure his wife would choose the gold since he is a strong believer that his spirit is alive and has left a dead body to decay. Maybe an argument that he is denying the worms a steady meal would fit here too.

I'm not sure that there exists gold amounting to 10x the volume of the earth, unless it is mined from another big planet made of gold. That would certainly put Freeport in its place.

Also don't forget that the value of gold is a function of supply and demand. If the supply of gold was suddenly increased by a million times to reflect this big new source of gold, then it is quite possible that gold itself would have no value at all, since the level of demand would not change, in fact it might go down, since why would anyone pay for something that is more common than water.

So entrance to heaven is therefore effectively free, which saves everyone a lot of bother.

Last edited:
Also, technically speaking, in Islam a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man. But, a Muslim man can marry a Muslim, Christian, or a Jew. Not a pagan or polytheist.

Wait .... as an atheist Jew with a one day conversion to Islam am I ok being married to my Muslim wife?

Vanuatu "Wait .... as an atheist Jew with a one day conversion to Islam am I ok being married to my Muslim wife?

Vanuatu your story reminds me of a Jewish friend, Alex who often visited Syria. (This is before the present crisis.) He stayed with a Syrian friend who was waxing lyrical about what a wonderful and tolerant country Syria was. Alex asked his friend what he should answer if someone asked him what religion he was.
A long consideration and then the Syrian answered: "Say you're Catholic."

Wait .... as an atheist Jew with a one day conversion to Islam am I ok being married to my Muslim wife?

Atheism and Judiasm are opposites. Jews are people of the book. Although, according to some it is based on mitochondrial DNA not faith. But yes, if a man converts to Islam then he can marry a Muslim woman. Although, according to some, to be Muslim, one must fulfill the 5 pillars: Charity, Fasting, Prayer, Oath, and Pilgrimage.

You don't have to convert to Islam to marry a muslim woman. [speaking from experience].

I am just stating religious rules, not government rules. For example, interest (usury) is also forbidden in Islam and Christianity but as you can see even Shariah banks charge interest in modern times around the world. And, we dont eat refrigerators but they have a huge misaligned Halal sticker on them. Go figure, right? What's next Halal booze and pork?

What's next?

IMG_8169.jpg

But yes, if a man converts to Islam then he can marry a Muslim woman. Although, according to some, to be Muslim, one must fulfill the 5 pillars: Charity, Fasting, Prayer, Oath, and Pilgrimage.
I married a Muslim Woman and I am certainly not a Muslim who after returning to Indonesia said enough of this BS, and converted to Christianity. Oh, you must mean in some country that doesn't practice freedom of religion and bases laws on which radical group is yelling the loudest. Nations that say they recognize different religions but suppress and threaten anyone not in the majority.

I married a Muslim Woman and I am certainly not a Muslim who after returning to Indonesia said enough of this BS, and converted to Christianity. Oh, you must mean in some country that doesn't practice freedom of religion and bases laws on which radical group is yelling the loudest. Nations that say they recognize different religions but suppress and threaten anyone not in the majority.

Sorry if I offended you. There are rules before man and fake scholars corrupted them.

Be well bud. Be easy.

Atheism and Judiasm are opposites. Jews are people of the book. Although, according to some it is based on mitochondrial DNA not faith. But yes, if a man converts to Islam then he can marry a Muslim woman. Although, according to some, to be Muslim, one must fulfill the 5 pillars: Charity, Fasting, Prayer, Oath, and Pilgrimage.

I'm more of the DNA type... as for the conversion, my point is that in Indonesia the conversion it is usually superficial for the families sake. I converted so we could have a Muslim wedding, but I didn't believe in the shahada for even a millisecond nor have I ever been to a mosque, prayed or done any of the 5 pillars (except for donations which my wife did with out me knowing). My wife's parents were a little disappointed at first that I didn't want to learn to pray and when we hit the first Ramadan and I didn't fast they were a little disappointed, but they got over it. I think the fact that they can tell their family and friends that their daughter's husband converted is enough.

Sorry if I offended you. There are rules before man and fake scholars corrupted them.

Be well bud. Be easy.
Rules are all recited by men after the fact in all religions. I doubt you could trust any of those men to interpret things that would not benefit their own beliefs. So to me, they would all be corrupted scholars in someone's thoughts. Well, perhaps except for those that are not allowed to question anything they are told by their local religious hierarchy. Keep man down because if he is educated and rises up, damn, we're toast.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back