How Indonesian resort island Bali became a refuge for Ukrainians and Russians

The Javanese look is more like round face, round nose, with the darker complexion of a ripe sawo fruit. It’s positively different and can be quite exotic for westerners, but in Java it’s very ordinary. I guess we tend to look for what we can’t normally have.
Maybe, but Chinese, Korean and Japanese rather stick to their own kind in Indonesia, I noticed.

1690848899423.jpeg

Maybe, but Chinese, Korean and Japanese rather stick to their own kind in Indonesia, I noticed.
Or in Malaysia (there's more Chinese-Indian and Indian-Malay mixed marriages than in Indonesia probably, but the Indian community in Indonesia is not that large compared to in Malaysia).

FWIW I quite like the Javanese/Balinese look and I'm Chinese, but yeah I got shocked once when I commented that a "pri" woman is good looking and a Chinese friend blurted "but she is a ..." (derogatory term for pribumi). A lot of people (across ethnicity and tribes) consider it taboo to date outside their own kind, but not even appreciating beauty ... sigh.

Let alone using that term, you'd think being at the brunt of many in the majority calling us names should make us more wary about insulting others.

I go topless at the beach all the time. Alas, it does not attract any attention whether from locals or bule. Perhaps I, also, should wear a thong? Or are they called mankinis?

Showing your body to earn money is not a sign that you are not intelligent. Catwalk models, beauty pageants, miss wold, miss universe, all are showing their bodies and they are proud of it. Not to mention body builders are showing their bodies to public to earn money. They earn money while doing what they like.

Some of the Models from "Victoria Secret" the world most renown lingerie makers/retailers use Victoria secret as a step stone to leapfrog their careers as they will get spotted by the talent scouts in every event. While some of them might be bimbos, reasonable number of them become super models. A few to name Gisele Bündchen.Karlie Kloss, Tyra Banks, Adriana Lima, Candice Swanepoel.

Her total passive income come from every video she has created, not just one. How many video she has been creating ????
Also keep in mind if it does not have a view now, it does not mean it will not in the future. Those videos will stay indefinitely giving her income for life even while she is sleeping. If you want to compare you will need to compare her with ordinary Indonesian not with top scientists or billionaires.

The idea of not intelligent just because a person is showing her body with thongs, bikinis are absurd and ill judged.
It almost sounds like you're arguing that she's smart because she's monetizing her appearance. It doesn't take brains to do that.
Did you listen to her talk?

I believe Bali was somewhat topless up until the early 50s. You are correct about Java women but it would fit the whole of the nation.

The dutch introduced the Kabaya to the more well to do Indonesian women to "cover for modesty purposes" when in the company of the dutch. The first kabayas were transparent lace.

Javanese women were topless up until about the turn of the century so one has to ask, were the women of that those days worse Muslims than today's Muslims who would have them arrested for such a sight? Has Islam changed or is it the men who decide what means what?
Bali was somewhat topless well into the 80's if you got off the beaten path.
Not all Javanese women per the photos I've seen. Some were and some weren't. Yes the reasons for the change would be good to know.

It almost sounds like you're arguing that she's smart because she's monetizing her appearance. It doesn't take brains to do that.
Did you listen to her talk?
I haven't watched listened to her videos, but she could very well be playing an act. A lot of artists cater to the lowest common denominator with ridiculously low IQ show/performances because that's where the money is, and that's a smart thing to do.

I haven't watched listened to her videos, but she could very well be playing an act. A lot of artists cater to the lowest common denominator with ridiculously low IQ show/performances because that's where the money is, and that's a smart thing to do.
True. And many are genuinely stupid. It doesn't take a lot thought to bounce.

article-2665134-1F04617300000578-363_634x628.jpg

Some people might not know, Cara Delevingne, a super model used to pose "Naked" in Bali. Cara has walked for some of the most prestigious fashion houses in the world, including Chanel, Burberry, and Dior. She has also appeared on the covers of top fashion magazines such as Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and Elle. Is she a bimbo ??

If I remember correctly she was doing it to donate the money to charity.

Or in Malaysia (there's more Chinese-Indian and Indian-Malay mixed marriages than in Indonesia probably, but the Indian community in Indonesia is not that large compared to in Malaysia).
My wife is Indian/Indonesian. Right after WWII there were quite a few Indians in Indonesia. Many were previously associated with the British Armed Forces and came to Indonesia from Singapore. My FIL settled in Palembang in the late 40s. First worked for Sukarno's personal security team, met my MIL who had run away from Makasar after her husband was butchered by Japanese soldiers and he then took a job as security head at Stempex (sp)(now Pertamina) in Palembang. My wife says there were a lot of Indians who settled in Palembang and Medan. Many took Indonesian wives. No big deal of interfaith marriages then. All siblings had Indian first names except for 3 of the 6 who later changed them to fit in better. My wife changed hers when she was still a young teen plus her name was Dani.

Not many Indians left in Palembang now. Some offspring of the earlier ones. Most either moved North to Medan, went back to India, or died here. Medan still has an Indian population.

View attachment 3286
Some people might not know, Cara Delevingne, a super model used to pose "Naked" in Bali. Cara has walked for some of the most prestigious fashion houses in the world, including Chanel, Burberry, and Dior. She has also appeared on the covers of top fashion magazines such as Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and Elle. Is she a bimbo ??

Doesn't make no difference to me. As long as no one is doing things against their will or any injuries come from the actions, free will. People just need to get over themselves. No victim, no crime.

View attachment 3286

Not the best example as she is now a drugged up crack ho, last seen getting booted off Jay Z private jet for being an annoying biatch.

And also just caught smuggling cannabis into Mauritius
So not the smartest girl

I think you guys are mixing up two things. Becoming addicts in drug/alcohol related things have little to do with intelligent. Let alone if you define intelligence as the "smartest girls" comparing them with top scientists, titans, billionaires. Drug/alcohol related problems are about self control and environment. Some millionaires become addicts because of lacking of self control and due to the environment they are in.

If you want to see a city with many drug/alcohol-related problems where zombies are walking everywhere on the street, search for Kensington Philadelphia, in Pennsylvania state. Are all of these people lacking of intelligent or something to do with self control and neighbourhood ?? Keep in mind some of them used to be working in the offices that need level of intelligence above average such as students, accountants, financial analysis, teachers, doctors, etc

Last edited:
Doesn't make no difference to me. As long as no one is doing things against their will or any injuries come from the actions, free will. People just need to get over themselves. No victim, no crime.
But one thing here is that the stopper will need to be put in place such as an opposing view with sensible argument. Otherwise if it keeps moving forward it is just a matter of time before it becomes another "Aceh" in Indonesia.

Just remember a discussion in this forum about the cohabitation law, living together without marriage a while ago. A few people said it would not be approved. Boom ........... It is approved unanimously. People who previously argue it would not be approved are now shy away. Some people in the parliament who probably not agree with it were under pressure to approve it.

Last edited:
But one thing here is that the stopper will need to be put in place such as an opposing view with sensible argument. Otherwise if it keeps moving forward it is just a matter of time before it becomes another "Aceh" in Indonesia.

Just remember a discussion in this forum about the cohabitation law, living together without marriage. A few people said it would not be approved. Boom ........... It is approved unanimously. People who previously argue it would not be approved are now shy away. Some people in the parliament who probably agree with it were under pressure to approve it.

But it's not law

View attachment 3282
Not sure about the Japanese, but Koreans have a beauty standard even closer to white people. The statistics say between 25% to 50% of younger Korean women have had plastic surgery.

As for Chinese Indonesians, well, the majority stick to their own probably because of a long history of discrimination, especially during Suharto’s time. Mixed marriages do happen; two of my cousins are married to Chinese Indonesians.

I don’t know anything about recent mainland Chinese immigrants.

I believe Bali was somewhat topless up until the early 50s. You are correct about Java women but it would fit the whole of the nation.

The dutch introduced the Kabaya to the more well to do Indonesian women to "cover for modesty purposes" when in the company of the dutch. The first kabayas were transparent lace.

Javanese women were topless up until about the turn of the century so one has to ask, were the women of that those days worse Muslims than today's Muslims who would have them arrested for such a sight? Has Islam changed or is it the men who decide what means what?
The history of Islam in Java is enough to fill several books. The short version is that the original Javanese Islam is positively different from Arabic Islam. Of course the Arabs call it the ‘wrong’ kind of Islam, just like Catholics call Protestants the wrong kind of Christians.

Reactions: Bob

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke
Back