dual passport for child

Mick247

Hi All

My 18 month old daughter( born in Indonesia) has just received her Australian Passport so she now has Dual Indonesian and Australian passports.

My Questions are
1) We are going to Australia next month and i planned to leave Indonesia on her Indonesian passport enter and leave Singapore on Indonesian passport then use Australian to enter and leave Australia then use Indonesian passport to enter and leave Singapore and then re-enter Indonesia, can anybody please tell me is this the correct way to go?
2) Do i have to obtain an Affidavit for her to re-enter Indonesia?
3) Can this be obtained with out being married? We where religion married in the Kampong but it was not officially registered.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers Mick

1) Yes, exactly correct
2) No (but I think you needed one to get her Indonesian passport, on which she should be registered as a dual citizen)
3) hmm - not sure how you got the passport without being officially married ... are you named on the Indonesian birth certificate?

1) Yes, exactly correct
2) No (but I think you needed one to get her Indonesian passport, on which she should be registered as a dual citizen)
3) hmm - not sure how you got the passport without being officially married ... are you named on the Indonesian birth certificate?

thanks for the reply
2) her Indonesian passport was issued at 5 weeks and does not state anything about dual citzenship?
3) yes i am named in full on birth cert

I think whoever issued the passport maybe didn't follow the correct rules - which region was it in? In my experience in Jakarta they will not now issue an Indonesian passport for a child with a foreign parent, unless there is an affidavit, and then they stamp "dual citizen" in the passport.

But I think this is a good thing for you because it means when entering/leaving Indonesia, the passport staff wouldn't know she has a foreign parent and therefore wouldn't ask for an affidavit.

Hopefully someone else can help you with your particular question, as it is outside my direct experience.

I think whoever issued the passport maybe didn't follow the correct rules - which region was it in? In my experience in Jakarta they will not now issue an Indonesian passport for a child with a foreign parent, unless there is an affidavit, and then they stamp "dual citizen" in the passport.

But I think this is a good thing for you because it means when entering/leaving Indonesia, the passport staff wouldn't know she has a foreign parent and therefore wouldn't ask for an affidavit.

Hopefully someone else can help you with your particular question, as it is outside my direct experience.

Ok Thanks for that i was issued in Batam we have been in and out about a dozen times with no problems im just concerned now that it may show up that when we leave and re-enter singapore there is nothing in between as we will be using the aus passport

Hi All

My 18 month old daughter( born in Indonesia) has just received her Australian Passport so she now has Dual Indonesian and Australian passports.

My Questions are
1) We are going to Australia next month and i planned to leave Indonesia on her Indonesian passport enter and leave Singapore on Indonesian passport then use Australian to enter and leave Australia then use Indonesian passport to enter and leave Singapore and then re-enter Indonesia, can anybody please tell me is this the correct way to go?
2) Do i have to obtain an Affidavit for her to re-enter Indonesia?
3) Can this be obtained with out being married? We where religion married in the Kampong but it was not officially registered.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers Mick

You need to go to the local immigration office and register the fact that your daughter is dual citizen. This can either be done by:

1. Annotating her Indonesian passport (usually done for children born abroad and issued an Indonesian passport abroad)
2. Applying for affidavit.

As you have experienced, you can obtain Indonesian passport first for children that are technically dual national. But when the child obtains a second country's passport, that is when Immigration deems the child is a dual national, and an affidavit/registration becomes necessary.

Once you have registered this, you can travel freely in an out of Indonesia, no need for stopovers in Singapore.

You need to go to the local immigration office and register the fact that your daughter is dual citizen. This can either be done by:

1. Annotating her Indonesian passport (usually done for children born abroad and issued an Indonesian passport abroad)
2. Applying for affidavit.

As you have experienced, you can obtain Indonesian passport first for children that are technically dual national. But when the child obtains a second country's passport, that is when Immigration deems the child is a dual national, and an affidavit/registration becomes necessary.

Once you have registered this, you can travel freely in an out of Indonesia, no need for stopovers in Singapore.
thank you very much for that we will go to imgrassi here and register her as a dual citizen

dafluff, could you please provide a link re: the need to register children as 'dual citizens'? I couldn't find anything beyond 'dual citizenship applications'.

thanks.

dafluff, could you please provide a link re: the need to register children as 'dual citizens'? I couldn't find anything beyond 'dual citizenship applications'.

thanks.

PP No. 2 tahun 2007

Article 59

(1)The children having double citizenship as meant in the law shall be registered by their parents or trustees at immigration offices or representatives of the Republic of Indonesia whose working area covers domicile of the children.

(2)The immigration offices or representatives of the Republic of Indonesia as meant in paragraph (1) shall record in registry and issue evidence of registration to obtain facility as Indonesian citizens having double citizenship.

(3) Further provision on procedures for registration and recording as meant in paragraph (1) as well as granting of facility as meant in paragraph (1) shall be regulated by a regulation of the Minister.

I have a daughter who is now 14 years old, she was born in Indonesia, her father is from Indonesia and me from Europe. After she was born we made her Indonesian passport and after that her European passport. She was born in 2005.
I read often about the affidavit but because she have been having both passports without any problem I didn't put much attention to what means the affidavit.
This morning she went to the immigration office to renew her indonesian passport and they asked us if we have some documentation, the lady there mention something like needs a SK menteri, my husband went there so I am not sure how things were going there, so she couldn't renew the passport and asked them to come back tomorrow with the European passport.
Do you think this it could be about the affidavit? in case of that, please could you tell us how do you apply for it?
Terimakasi

I have a daughter who is now 14 years old, she was born in Indonesia, her father is from Indonesia and me from Europe. After she was born we made her Indonesian passport and after that her European passport. She was born in 2005.
I read often about the affidavit but because she have been having both passports without any problem I didn't put much attention to what means the affidavit.
This morning she went to the immigration office to renew her indonesian passport and they asked us if we have some documentation, the lady there mention something like needs a SK menteri, my husband went there so I am not sure how things were going there, so she couldn't renew the passport and asked them to come back tomorrow with the European passport.
Do you think this it could be about the affidavit? in case of that, please could you tell us how do you apply for it?
Terimakasi

In your case it is different, because you child was born before 2006 (ie. when dual nationality was first allowed). There was a period where children born before this law could obtain Indonesian dual citizenship retroactively via SK Menteri, by applying for it. I think the window for this application closed in 2010. Is it somewhere with your paperwork maybe?

I'm not sure of the details since this was something I've never encountered, maybe @atlantis or another forum member will know more.

Last edited:
Terimakasi

As additional info on @dafluff 's post: This has been a big issue for multiple people. I copied some similar cases from the past underneath:

"My daughter has an Indonesian father and a British mother (me) so she automatically became an Indonesian citizen. She got her first Indonesian passport in 2006 (she was born in 2005). Her Indonesian passport has expired now but I applied for and received her British passport in January. I did not register my daughter for dual citizenship before august 2010. This was a mistake so my request for a dual citizenship affidavit was rejected today. This I can accept. However, when I wanted to renew her Indonesian passport, they said she was now considered a foreigner - not because she had a UK passport (my husband kept that hidden) but because we were required to register her as a child from a mixed marriage by august last year. Therefore, she has lost her Indonesian citizenship and also cannot get the dual citizenship stamp. We are in legal limbo. My question: have immigration got it all mixed up?"

I have 3 kids, two born before 2005. They -like my friend's child (situation above)- automatically became Indonesian as they followed their father's nationality, Indonesian. I am British. All three of my kids have Indonesian passports and are on the Kartu Keluarga. I didn't apply for their British passports as they have a certificate of abode from the British Government in their Indonesian passports which basically gives them the rights of a British Citizen. I read about having to register your children before August 2010, but I was under the impression that was for kids with foreign passports who wanted to obtain Indonesian Citizenship. I stupidly thought that didn't apply to my kids as they already had Indonesian passports basically from when they were 6 months old and i wasn't applying for dual nationality. According to what has happened to my friend when I go to renew the two kids passports who were born before 2005, it's possible that because I didn't register them as being from a mixed marriage before August 2010, they could be turned down. Surely this cant be right?

Just a note: my dual-citizenship kids use their Indo passports if/when we visit Indo, and we have never been asked for anything beyond the passports themselves. The passports have not been stamped with anything, as one can see on the attached scan.

Attachments

• Indo_passport_sample.jpg
    Indo_passport_sample.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 276
As additional info on @dafluff 's post: This has been a big issue for multiple people. I copied some similar cases from the past underneath:

"My daughter has an Indonesian father and a British mother (me) so she automatically became an Indonesian citizen. She got her first Indonesian passport in 2006 (she was born in 2005). Her Indonesian passport has expired now but I applied for and received her British passport in January. I did not register my daughter for dual citizenship before august 2010. This was a mistake so my request for a dual citizenship affidavit was rejected today. This I can accept. However, when I wanted to renew her Indonesian passport, they said she was now considered a foreigner - not because she had a UK passport (my husband kept that hidden) but because we were required to register her as a child from a mixed marriage by august last year. Therefore, she has lost her Indonesian citizenship and also cannot get the dual citizenship stamp. We are in legal limbo. My question: have immigration got it all mixed up?"

I have 3 kids, two born before 2005. They -like my friend's child (situation above)- automatically became Indonesian as they followed their father's nationality, Indonesian. I am British. All three of my kids have Indonesian passports and are on the Kartu Keluarga. I didn't apply for their British passports as they have a certificate of abode from the British Government in their Indonesian passports which basically gives them the rights of a British Citizen. I read about having to register your children before August 2010, but I was under the impression that was for kids with foreign passports who wanted to obtain Indonesian Citizenship. I stupidly thought that didn't apply to my kids as they already had Indonesian passports basically from when they were 6 months old and i wasn't applying for dual nationality. According to what has happened to my friend when I go to renew the two kids passports who were born before 2005, it's possible that because I didn't register them as being from a mixed marriage before August 2010, they could be turned down. Surely this cant be right?

I have already open a new post but I am on the same situation of the first person, jstar, where did you get the post? there is any way I could contact that person and know what they did and what happen? I am on shock and really panic, I cannot believe this is happening!
They want to deport my daughter and she is now a foreigner in the country she was born!

Just a note: my dual-citizenship kids use their Indo passports if/when we visit Indo, and we have never been asked for anything beyond the passports themselves. The passports have not been stamped with anything, as one can see on the attached scan.

If your kids were born after the 2006 law passed, then they are automatically dual national, however subject to registration. If they were born before 2006 law, and you did not retroactively apply for dual citizenship, and Indonesia finds out/suspect about having another citizenship, then it is possible they cancel the Indonesian citizenship. This is the situation posted by @jstar above.

BTW, the registration/affidavit is usually a separate letter on a different page of the passport, not on the biometric section.

Thanks dafluff. I suppose that istri ku and I need to get over to the consulate soon for this registration.

jukung11 and you provided me with the details last August, but for some reason it didn't sink through my skull. :oops:

I never posted on this thread again.

We had the Anak Berkewarganegaraan Ganda stamped in the kids' passports in Feb. 2020.

Attachments

• delete.jpg
    delete.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 56
I never posted on this thread again.

We had the Anak Berkewarganegaraan Ganda stamped in the kids' passports in Feb. 2020.
So this is a stamp in the foreign passport? No expiry date? (We previously had an affadavit with an expiry date.)

So this is a stamp in the foreign passport? No expiry date? (We previously had an affadavit with an expiry date.)
No, that's in the Indo passport, on one of the first few 'endorsements' pages (Catatan Pengesahan).

:oops: aiyaah! I just found out that the endorsement in the passport is NOT an affidavit. The endorsement only shows the nomor from Surat Keterangan DWI Kewarganegaraan Terbatas.

The Surat Keterangan Affidavit has a different number than the one on the Surat Keterangan DWI Kewarganegaraan Terbatas.

o_O
So much paperwork. We only realized when we asked why another child did not have the yellow affidavit (sample attached to this message) that our oldest has. The consulate told us that dual-citizenship children need both the Surat Keterangan DWI Kewarganegaraan Terbatas (with endorsement in passport) AND the affidavit card.

Sorry for any confusion caused. I'm confused by this I can assure you. Why both the endorsement and an affidavit are needed nobody could tell us... we didn't press the issue. (sigh)

Attachments

• affidavit_sample.jpg
    affidavit_sample.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 41

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back