dual passport for child

Mick247

Hi All

My 18 month old daughter( born in Indonesia) has just received her Australian Passport so she now has Dual Indonesian and Australian passports.

My Questions are
1) We are going to Australia next month and i planned to leave Indonesia on her Indonesian passport enter and leave Singapore on Indonesian passport then use Australian to enter and leave Australia then use Indonesian passport to enter and leave Singapore and then re-enter Indonesia, can anybody please tell me is this the correct way to go?
2) Do i have to obtain an Affidavit for her to re-enter Indonesia?
3) Can this be obtained with out being married? We where religion married in the Kampong but it was not officially registered.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers Mick

Helpful Herbert

1) Yes, exactly correct
2) No (but I think you needed one to get her Indonesian passport, on which she should be registered as a dual citizen)
3) hmm - not sure how you got the passport without being officially married ... are you named on the Indonesian birth certificate?

Mick247

1) Yes, exactly correct
2) No (but I think you needed one to get her Indonesian passport, on which she should be registered as a dual citizen)
3) hmm - not sure how you got the passport without being officially married ... are you named on the Indonesian birth certificate?
thanks for the reply
2) her Indonesian passport was issued at 5 weeks and does not state anything about dual citzenship?
3) yes i am named in full on birth cert

Helpful Herbert

I think whoever issued the passport maybe didn't follow the correct rules - which region was it in? In my experience in Jakarta they will not now issue an Indonesian passport for a child with a foreign parent, unless there is an affidavit, and then they stamp "dual citizen" in the passport.

But I think this is a good thing for you because it means when entering/leaving Indonesia, the passport staff wouldn't know she has a foreign parent and therefore wouldn't ask for an affidavit.

Hopefully someone else can help you with your particular question, as it is outside my direct experience.

Mick247

I think whoever issued the passport maybe didn't follow the correct rules - which region was it in? In my experience in Jakarta they will not now issue an Indonesian passport for a child with a foreign parent, unless there is an affidavit, and then they stamp "dual citizen" in the passport.

But I think this is a good thing for you because it means when entering/leaving Indonesia, the passport staff wouldn't know she has a foreign parent and therefore wouldn't ask for an affidavit.

Hopefully someone else can help you with your particular question, as it is outside my direct experience.
Ok Thanks for that i was issued in Batam we have been in and out about a dozen times with no problems im just concerned now that it may show up that when we leave and re-enter singapore there is nothing in between as we will be using the aus passport

dafluff

Cager
Hi All

My 18 month old daughter( born in Indonesia) has just received her Australian Passport so she now has Dual Indonesian and Australian passports.

My Questions are
1) We are going to Australia next month and i planned to leave Indonesia on her Indonesian passport enter and leave Singapore on Indonesian passport then use Australian to enter and leave Australia then use Indonesian passport to enter and leave Singapore and then re-enter Indonesia, can anybody please tell me is this the correct way to go?
2) Do i have to obtain an Affidavit for her to re-enter Indonesia?
3) Can this be obtained with out being married? We where religion married in the Kampong but it was not officially registered.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers Mick
You need to go to the local immigration office and register the fact that your daughter is dual citizen. This can either be done by:

1. Annotating her Indonesian passport (usually done for children born abroad and issued an Indonesian passport abroad)
2. Applying for affidavit.

As you have experienced, you can obtain Indonesian passport first for children that are technically dual national. But when the child obtains a second country's passport, that is when Immigration deems the child is a dual national, and an affidavit/registration becomes necessary.

Once you have registered this, you can travel freely in an out of Indonesia, no need for stopovers in Singapore.

Mick247

You need to go to the local immigration office and register the fact that your daughter is dual citizen. This can either be done by:

1. Annotating her Indonesian passport (usually done for children born abroad and issued an Indonesian passport abroad)
2. Applying for affidavit.

As you have experienced, you can obtain Indonesian passport first for children that are technically dual national. But when the child obtains a second country's passport, that is when Immigration deems the child is a dual national, and an affidavit/registration becomes necessary.

Once you have registered this, you can travel freely in an out of Indonesia, no need for stopovers in Singapore.
thank you very much for that we will go to imgrassi here and register her as a dual citizen

serious_fun

dafluff, could you please provide a link re: the need to register children as 'dual citizens'? I couldn't find anything beyond 'dual citizenship applications'.

thanks.

jukung11

Cager
dafluff, could you please provide a link re: the need to register children as 'dual citizens'? I couldn't find anything beyond 'dual citizenship applications'.

thanks.
PP No. 2 tahun 2007

Article 59

(1)The children having double citizenship as meant in the law shall be registered by their parents or trustees at immigration offices or representatives of the Republic of Indonesia whose working area covers domicile of the children.

(2)The immigration offices or representatives of the Republic of Indonesia as meant in paragraph (1) shall record in registry and issue evidence of registration to obtain facility as Indonesian citizens having double citizenship.

(3) Further provision on procedures for registration and recording as meant in paragraph (1) as well as granting of facility as meant in paragraph (1) shall be regulated by a regulation of the Minister.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanmaro