DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

Interesting article about why some countries (typically rich countries) have been hit harder by covid. I think its a bit of better resistance in poorer countries and under reporting. Maybe climate is a factor too. Im sure our numbers in Indonesia are much higher than reported but also its not turned out to be the "thousands dropping dead in the street" scenario that was predicted.

Interesting article about why some countries (typically rich countries) have been hit harder by covid. I think its a bit of better resistance in poorer countries and under reporting. Maybe climate is a factor too. Im sure our numbers in Indonesia are much higher than reported but also its not turned out to be the "thousands dropping dead in the street" scenario that was predicted.

The rich nations can afford to do testing, the poor nations not. Rich nations have a higher reported number of positive because of that. They find more because of testing. Indonesia does very little testing except for test that have high error rates.

They find more because of testing. Indonesia does very little testing except for test that have high error rates.

Yes true but did you read the article? A lot of info there about total deaths increasing, testing bodies after death to determine was COVID the cause etc. Total deaths are up but not by the predicted numbers and in can be (partially) explained through not treating other diseases, increased poverty etc.

Im not denying the real numbers are much higher than reported but it is still not as high in 3rd world countries than in first world even when taking that into account. Oh and FYI India are pretty serious about covid. Everyone flying does pcrs at the airport. Tracking for cases. Sealed quarantines of apartments where cases are found etc etc.

Yes true but did you read the article? A lot of info there about total deaths increasing, testing bodies after death to determine was COVID the cause etc. Total deaths are up but not by the predicted numbers and in can be (partially) explained through not treating other diseases, increased poverty etc.

Im not denying the real numbers are much higher than reported but it is still not as high in 3rd world countries than in first world even when taking that into account. Oh and FYI India are pretty serious about covid. Everyone flying does pcrs at the airport. Tracking for cases. Sealed quarantines of apartments where cases are found etc etc.
Just taking the US for an example, death's are way up simply because of mismanagement in the earlier days up until January 20, 2021. There are quite a few developed nations who have high death rates because they too mismanaged the pandemic. Human interference rates high on the reasons for deaths scales.

Developing nations like Indonesia spent more time on cover ups and details so they could keep their economies strong only at an at any cost reasoning. Even WHO stated Indonesia's positive rates and death rates are probably 10 times higher than reported. One only needs to look at past burial rates in comparison to today's to see that something is amiss.

A pandemic is a global occurrence and this one was handled badly globally. There are only a few nations who took on the problems at the outset, the remainder have failed until it got so bad it couldn't be ignored or they got intelligent help from the science and medical communities.

We may be on the road to somewhat beating this one with vaccinations for herd immunity but people better be thinking about what is next. There will be a next.

From what I have not been able to gather, no one seems to know anything about this phase 2 except for the reports and videos of unqualified people like students and their parents getting them. When it's available I will show up, present my KTP and then see where it goes from there. 70% of the available vaccines are supposedly headed to Bali and Java because they have the highest positive rates. Bullshit, they have the areas where testing is actually taking place and you know, tourism.
Yeah, true. I just can't seems to gather any official information from the gov regarding Vaccination plan for Kitas/kitap holder.

the only information is can find is a quotation from the BUMN minister.

Yeah, true. I just can't seems to gather any official information from the gov regarding Vaccination plan for Kitas/kitap holder.

the only information is can find is a quotation from the BUMN minister.

Dafluff shared this link in another thread for 60 and over registration.

https://www.kemkes.go.id/article/view/21022000001/Informasi-Pendaftaran-Vaksinasi-pada-Lansia.html

Well, I hope most of the vaccine goes to DKI first; I am hoping all the neighbors get a shot or two before we are able to get visitors visas. In all seriousness, I are not optimistic about vaccines being widely administered anywhere in Indonesia until 2022.

Well, I hope most of the vaccine goes to DKI first; I am hoping all the neighbors get a shot or two before we are able to get visitors visas. In all seriousness, I are not optimistic about vaccines being widely administered anywhere in Indonesia until 2022.

I am WNA, just received my first Sinovac this morning. RS Suyoto in Jakarta had schedule for lansia (over 60 yr.) to be vaccinated. I showed up with my KTP-OA and Surat domisili (from RT where you reside). They took my information, checked my blood pressure and glucose level.

I was given a certificate with the date for my 2nd shot. I was amazed, the whole process took about one hour.

It is now established that the UK mutant variation Covid is in Indonesia. The official advice is, "Don't panic."
And didn't the health minister also say the reason it took so long to get here is that god loves Indonesia?
So god really must hate the UK then.

And didn't the health minister also say the reason it took so long to get here is that god loves Indonesia?
So god really must hate the UK then.
To be fair to him, I think it sounds more like a tongue-in-cheek comment from him :)
From the context, it is quite obvious he implicitly means the truth is the second option...though the media prefers to spin the story to mean the first.

"“If [the strain] is only among us now, there are two possibilities. One, God loves our nation all this time. Or two, we’ve only been able to detect it now,” Budi told CNN Indonesia yesterday."

It is now established that the UK mutant variation Covid is in Indonesia. The official advice is, "Don't panic."
And next the South African one, then the Brazilian one, then the xxxxx one....

Keeps the media busy, and give them some stuff to fill the front page with

Viruses do mutate. Even the flu does.

Keep calm and enjoy your Bintang.

There are several factors: Rich countries tend to have older populations, whereas in poor countries people don't live as long, to begin with. For example, Indonesia's median age is 29 years, vs say, 46 in Germany.

Many poor countries are in hotter climates, which is not as conducive for transmitting a droplet transmitted respiratory disease.

Then there is the aforementioned underreporting.

Foreigners violating health protocols in Bali are now subject to a fine of Rp 1m (US$70) for the first violation, and a second violation can result in deportation.

The increase was done because the previous fine of ~$7 was not a large enough deterrent.

From January to March 411 people were caught not wearing masks by Satpol PP in Badung Regency. Of those, 367 were foreigners.

Foreigners violating health protocols in Bali are now subject to a fine of Rp 1m (US$70) for the first violation, and a second violation can result in deportation.

The increase was done because the previous fine of ~$7 was not a large enough deterrent.

From January to March 411 people were caught not wearing masks by Satpol PP in Badung Regency. Of those, 367 were foreigners.

Good. I can see not wanting to wear a mask when you are by yourself on the beach, preferably maintaining an unsociable distance. But, I kinda doubt that is what people are being fined for. Anyhow, health protocols in the country you decide to vacation in during a pandemic should be followed.

I was looking at the article and it goes on to talk a bit about the penalty for Indonesian citizens as well. I'm a bit confused by the following, "Penundaan pemberian pelayanan administrasi sesuai kewenangan pemerintah provinsi, atau membayar denda administratif sebesar Rp 100.000 bagi yang tidak menggunakan masker pada saat beraktivitas dan berkegiatan di rumah," kata Koster.
The part where it says "pada saat berkegiatan di rumah," does that mean "while doing activities at home"? Surely they aren't going to people's homes to check that they are wearing masks indoors? Did I misunderstand?

Went for a swim at Jimbaran on Saturday and walking back to the car was stopped by a young man. possibly Russian and mabuk or on drugs who told me how "cool" I was but I shouldn't wear a mask. Went on about how we needed to breath and wearing a mask was "bullshit". I told him many local people felt foreigners were disrespectful of them and local laws. And one might be stopped by police for not wearing a mask. He responded to this by telling me the police would never arrest anyone for not wearing a mask. The fellow was with a male friend similar age but not intoxicated and who said nothing. Excused myself and walked on to the car. They followed and the fellow obsessed with not wearing masks got off the bike and resumed his concern about why, as such a "cool guy", I was wearing a mask and asked me to promise I would not wear the mask at home. As I don't wear a mask at home I assured him I would not wear a mask at home.

There was nothing threatening about his manner but I did feel that he might get himself into a fight if he persisted..... Or perhaps be fined for not wearing a mask if not arrested for using drugs. I do wonder what will become of him. No shortage of weird people in this life.

Good. I can see not wanting to wear a mask when you are by yourself on the beach, preferably maintaining an unsociable distance. But, I kinda doubt that is what people are being fined for. Anyhow, health protocols in the country you decide to vacation in during a pandemic should be followed.

I was looking at the article and it goes on to talk a bit about the penalty for Indonesian citizens as well. I'm a bit confused by the following, "Penundaan pemberian pelayanan administrasi sesuai kewenangan pemerintah provinsi, atau membayar denda administratif sebesar Rp 100.000 bagi yang tidak menggunakan masker pada saat beraktivitas dan berkegiatan di rumah," kata Koster.
The part where it says "pada saat berkegiatan di rumah," does that mean "while doing activities at home"? Surely they aren't going to people's homes to check that they are wearing masks indoors? Did I misunderstand?

It's a typo (omission). It's supposed to be "di luar rumah".

Went for a swim at Jimbaran on Saturday and walking back to the car was stopped by a young man. possibly Russian and mabuk or on drugs who told me how "cool" I was but I shouldn't wear a mask. Went on about how we needed to breath and wearing a mask was "bullshit". I told him many local people felt foreigners were disrespectful of them and local laws. And one might be stopped by police for not wearing a mask. He responded to this by telling me the police would never arrest anyone for not wearing a mask. The fellow was with a male friend similar age but not intoxicated and who said nothing. Excused myself and walked on to the car. They followed and the fellow obsessed with not wearing masks got off the bike and resumed his concern about why, as such a "cool guy", I was wearing a mask and asked me to promise I would not wear the mask at home. As I don't wear a mask at home I assured him I would not wear a mask at home.

There was nothing threatening about his manner but I did feel that he might get himself into a fight if he persisted..... Or perhaps be fined for not wearing a mask if not arrested for using drugs. I do wonder what will become of him. No shortage of weird people in this life.
He sounds exactly like the sort of foreigner they should deport.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back