Demonstrations planned against ... Coldplay?

Helpful Herbert

In somewhat surreal news, the blandest least controversial band in the world, Coldplay, has been threatened by Islamic organisations. They threaten to besiege the airport:ROFLMAO: to stop them playing their November concert in Jakarta.

I know music is not allowed under strict Islam, but there must be a serious lack of things to protest about if they are targeting Coldplay. Has Chris Martin threatened to wear tight shorts? Are they worried the sound would drown out the mosque loudspeakers? Do they object to the lyrics "I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing" as a sign of being anti-Palestinian? I guess we'll find out.

I know music is not allowed under strict Islam, but there must be a serious lack of things to protest about if they are targeting Coldplay.

I read that the issue is that Coldplay waved a rainbow flag at a concert (seen as promotion of LGBT).

Yes the OP is totally missing the point. Perhaps he or she or they or it should have researched the subject before posting.

Nothing to do with their lyrics or costumes or music being evil or him looking sexy like Sam Smith in a red sequin catsuit or Lady Gaga being Satan.
Its because Chris Martin is a strong advocate of promoting LGBT etc rights. Not even really about the rainbow flag.

Its purely about him as a person and his beliefs and what he stands for.

Expect the same and more when Bee comes next year. Although she does a less risque set for Saudi, Malaysia etc with no bare skin (nude bodysuits and flowing chiffon)

The biggest likelihood of demonstrations is that people can't get a hold of tickets.

Well that leads me to this.
Coldplay play 4 nights in Stockholm.
Coldplay play 1 night in indonesia. Pop.300million
50,000 tickets only. Of which for 2 days prior BCA members (moi) were allowed presale chances to buy up to 4 tickets each.
So imagine out of 300million let's say 1million have BCA. And say 10,000 go for this.
That's 40,000 tickets sold. BEFORE they go on sale to gen pop
10,000 left for 299, 990,000 people

Now they also cost $500. PLUS 20% on top. Lol.

They could have played 7 nights in Indonesia in 3 cities and sold out.
But they do 4 nights in Stockholm and tickets still available.

And can I say? The GBK stadium is shite for live music events especially a band like CP who put on a show with large staging etc lights props lasers screens etc.
The set up doesn't work in a stadium with running track and bad acoustics.

I recommend anyone to see CP to watch them in another country. Probably cheaper. Better seats. Much better full experience also.
I know this from a professional side also as I had the contract to bring them here the first time a decade ago along with at the time JLo, Maroon 5, Rihanna, Beyonce etc and the Black Eyed Peas who still have only been here once in 2007.

There are always problems with the event organisation, promoter, or FPI etc. Such a shame.
Better to go to SG and watch F1 rocks the after race parties they have every year or even fly to Perth or HK or Korea.

But live shows here suck. Overpriced and poor quality. You only have to see poor BlackPink blinks squinting at some tiny stick figures a mile away to realised how bad their stage set up was for Jakarta. And the poor (literally) girls paying 2-5jt for a ticket.
Even the VIP experience CP package at 11jt (plus 20% tax lol 13+jt?! ) is actually the 5jt ticket but with access to a VIP merchandise stall and before the show opens you get to take a pic from the stage. There is no meet and greet no backstage access. Just a $5 t-shirt and a photo of 50,000 people being shafted
And then to watch the show through a sea of 50,000 iPhone screens being held in the air

This country loves "shooting itself in the foot " ,sorry to say .

Well I agree his perceived gayness might also be a factor, but I don't think the rent-a-crowd really needs a well thought out reason to go on a demo.

Well I agree his perceived gayness might also be a factor, but I don't think the rent-a-crowd really needs a well thought out reason to go on a demo.

Judas Priest were here a few years back. Rob Halford was dressed up as full on biker daddy and that was fine. Crowd was lots of fun (in Ancol) and it was a good time. Set was just a bit short. I guess you just have to be a big enough fish like Chris Martin or Lady Gaga to really be worth the publicity stunt....

Not a fan of Cold Play, but plenty here seem to be given all the hype. Would be sad if intolerance wins the day... again...

They will probably be joining the demo group that doesn't have tickets. :ROFLMAO:

Also, this was in a WA group.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 12.30.44 PM.jpeg

I'm confused reading what you mean about his "perceived gayness" ?
Chris Martin is straight and has 2 teenage kids and was married to Gwyneth Paltrow.

He also speaks fluent French interesting fact

Well that leads me to this.
Coldplay play 4 nights in Stockholm.
Coldplay play 1 night in indonesia. Pop.300million
50,000 tickets only. Of which for 2 days prior BCA members (moi) were allowed presale chances to buy up to 4 tickets each.
So imagine out of 300million let's say 1million have BCA. And say 10,000 go for this.
That's 40,000 tickets sold. BEFORE they go on sale to gen pop
10,000 left for 299, 990,000 people

Now they also cost $500. PLUS 20% on top. Lol.

They could have played 7 nights in Indonesia in 3 cities and sold out.
But they do 4 nights in Stockholm and tickets still available.

And can I say? The GBK stadium is shite for live music events especially a band like CP who put on a show with large staging etc lights props lasers screens etc.
The set up doesn't work in a stadium with running track and bad acoustics.

I recommend anyone to see CP to watch them in another country. Probably cheaper. Better seats. Much better full experience also.
I know this from a professional side also as I had the contract to bring them here the first time a decade ago along with at the time JLo, Maroon 5, Rihanna, Beyonce etc and the Black Eyed Peas who still have only been here once in 2007.

There are always problems with the event organisation, promoter, or FPI etc. Such a shame.
Better to go to SG and watch F1 rocks the after race parties they have every year or even fly to Perth or HK or Korea.

But live shows here suck. Overpriced and poor quality. You only have to see poor BlackPink blinks squinting at some tiny stick figures a mile away to realised how bad their stage set up was for Jakarta. And the poor (literally) girls paying 2-5jt for a ticket.
Even the VIP experience CP package at 11jt (plus 20% tax lol 13+jt?! ) is actually the 5jt ticket but with access to a VIP merchandise stall and before the show opens you get to take a pic from the stage. There is no meet and greet no backstage access. Just a $5 t-shirt and a photo of 50,000 people being shafted
And then to watch the show through a sea of 50,000 iPhone screens being held in the air
First you need to have some knowledge of how a tour is set up. The band has little to no say except to settle on an overall price. Promoters book the tours and pay the bands a price for a specific period of time. The promoters pay for the venues, travel, lodging, and all concert related expenses. The promoters have some ideas and commitments from some venues before booking the bands.

Let's say the promoter has 10 days of the band. Day 1 and 2 are booked, 4 through 8 have booked venues, and day 10 is booked. The band gets a set price no matter how many days they play. The more days played the promoters make more. With day 3 and 9 open, the promoter is going to look for possible locations to fill the open days. Places reasonably near the previous event while not too far from the next event. Many times it ends up being a smaller market or someplace that has a smaller profit. Or if course, someplace that isn't such a desireable venue. It is the venue that states the place and number of tickets to be offered.

Coldplay Jakarta- according to Twitter 1,533,000 people 'participated in the BCA presale ticket sales'

First you need to have some knowledge of how a tour is set up.

I'd like to think that I do since it is one of my main businesses that I own. I spent several years on tours globally with some of the above named bands and also with the band in this thread.

My point was why on earth the promoter this time didn't try to get more than 1 night. He could have sold out 7 nights in Indonesia.

Instead he has one show of 50,000 people only. And yet a city like Stockholm hosts CP for FOUR dates!
When Beyonce plays the UK she's there for days, multiple gigs in all the big cities.
Even Black Pink sold out 2 nights here.

Poor planning from the promoter IMHO

I did a show for Black Eyed Peas in Brazil Rio on the beach NYE 2007 for over 1 million people.

Maybe the promoter didn't even have Indonesia on his venue list in the beginning but ended up having an ipen date so they decided to try and fill with Jakarta. Maybe couldn't get other venues on the open date.

Sure, a promoter could in fact book a band for 7 days and set up 5 to 7 of those days in Jakarta or other cities. Will never happen. Have you seen the list of A level groups who have played Indonesia in the past 5 years? Would they, if they even existed, be supported here? Very much so. So what stops them? Maybe the loudness of threatening nut cases that causes not only fear of personal injury but the cost of added security, transportation, and of course, some outstretched hands along the way. A promoter is going to avoid problems like those. A promoter doesn't want to deal with radical nut sacks if they can avoid them.

Last edited:
Maybe the promoter didn't even have Indonesia on his venue list in the beginning but ended up having an ipen date so they decided to try and fill with Jakarta. Maybe couldn't get other venues on the open date.

Sure, a promoter could in fact book a band for 7 days and set up 5 to 7 of those days in Jakarta or other cities. Will never happen. Have you seen the list of A level groups who have played Indonesia in the past 5 years? Would they, if they even existed, be supported here? Very much so. So what stops them? Maybe the loudness of threatening nut cases that causes not only fear of personal injury but the cost of added security, transportation, and of course, some outstretched hands along the way. A promoter is going to avoid problems like those. A promoter doesn't want to deal with radical nut sacks if they can avoid them.

Which circles back to my original post. Why they don't ever come here in the first place.

As you say they prefer in and out quickly

Even pussy cat dolls in 2009 (?) Just basically sang on a very basic blank stage with zero extra gloss and fancy stuff. Compared to their normal shows. It was like a school play. They half covered up. Didn't dress too sexy. And didn't even have effects or pyro etc.

Even when Nicole pulled 5 girls randomly from the crowd for a dance competition it was actually 5 friends of mine and my then GF. Lol

The things we do for peace and quiet.
I still have the photo of Nicole posing in the ritz gift shop with the till display showing she had spent 3,176,851 or something.

Why they don't ever come here in the first place.
Sounds like Hong Kong: top acts will come here for a mid-week gig. I never understand...though I'm usually priced out of tickets anyway since I'm a cheapskate.

(The organizers behind Clockenflap have changed the 'festival scene' for the better :cool: )

@jstar
Never play in Jakarta for more than one day...Depp Purple did once two days with fatal consequences

What a scary story and knowing that these totally ruthless Suharto clique era thugs still control huge assets and are able to operate with impunity. Have long felt I never wanted to go back to Jakarta but actually am going to a wedding early next month. Lucky I have no wealth or anything worth stealing.

As for Coldplay they are another "legendary" band of whom I had never heard so I Youtubed some of their music. Bland and it seems more of a theatrical event than great music. But then I only listened to a couple of tunes. Pay juta plus for tickets? Ahh well. to each their own.

What a scary story and knowing that these totally ruthless Suharto clique era thugs still control huge assets and are able to operate with impunity. Have long felt I never wanted to go back to Jakarta but actually am going to a wedding early next month. Lucky I have no wealth or anything worth stealing.

As for Coldplay they are another "legendary" band of whom I had never heard so I Youtubed some of their music. Bland and it seems more of a theatrical event than great music. But then I only listened to a couple of tunes. Pay juta plus for tickets? Ahh well. to each their own.
Oh come on don't give it all that "I've never heard of them" b.s. man

One of the biggest bands and live music acts in history for the last decade and you've never heard of them or any of their music? Seriously?
What next? You don't know who Beyonce is? Lol

Maybe you don't like their "bland" music but impossible to never have heard of them.

And most of their stuff is very upbeat and pop style. Hardly bland.

Anyway each to their own. By the way even 1juta barely gets you in to watch David Foster or Michael learns to rock. The bioskop is 250rb.

Gosh I wish I lived in your age still.
By the way the Rolling Stones are still alive. They charge even more!

How about Duran Duran feating Chic and Grace Jones? Just starting a small US tour soon if you fancy some Nile Rodgers hahahaha

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back