coffee lovers unite

I think so, otherwise, what's the point of the aeropress? It felt like it turned into an inverted French press.

I actually use my aeropress inverted with a metal filter for just this reason. I like the oils that a metal filter lets through in a French press, but I can't take one travelling with me. Inverted aeropress + metal filter scratches that itch and is portable.

I actually use my aeropress inverted with a metal filter for just this reason. I like the oils that a metal filter lets through in a French press, but I can't take one travelling with me. Inverted aeropress + metal filter scratches that itch and is portable.

Ah yes, the inverted method. I completely forgot about that thanks for reminding me. I think I'll bring out my aeropress again...

Decaffeinating coffee always takes place when the coffee beans are still green before roasting and they always use an extraction agent. Therefore it has a rather bad name, esp. if they use dichloromethane. I don't particularly like to drink stuff that has been in contact with a paint stripping liquid. The CO[sub]2[/sub] method is much better.

Now, on many brands' packaging you can not see what they did exactly nor does a restaurant know, so that's a major reason I will not drink it.
To me decaf defeats the purpose of coffee it's kind of like non alcoholic beer . Both taste like crap and dont do what they are supposed to do ! It's like having sex but not getting to finish ! Why bother ...

It seems Karezza can be nice though....

That sounds like a coffee brand but it's not.

Last edited:
@jstar the spiritus seems to have done the trick. No more stickiness and the seal seems tight. I will try to brew something later this morning. Thanks for the tip!

Not cheap though.

https://ottencoffee.co.id/brands/wa...MIpc_x3ciY3AIViAsrCh0n5w3WEAAYASAAEgJDqPD_BwE

But rather amazing they can get 18 bar out of such a tiny thing. And pressed by hand! It seems with an adapter you can also use Nespresso capsules.

images

But for portable systems there are quite some alternatives. Interesting.

If you had a flat tire, you can use the pump afterwards for your espresso:

Last edited:
I have only been recently made aware that you can make other coffee at home beyond Nescafe or those sugar filled sachets.

On the other hand, I am not ready to spend 2+ million (on the low end) for an espresso machine, so I bought a moka pot.

I am supposed to receive it today, but already 2 problems have presented themselves: I don't have a coffee grinder, and most of the ground coffee sold is the wrong grind, and two, the moka pot I bought is a 6 cup sized one. Which is too much by at least 4, most days.

Anyway, first world problems, I know...

.....I bought a moka pot......

Those Mocha Pots are nice though. Yes, you probably should have bought a smaller version. My only problem with those semi espressos is the absence of the creamy layer on top, but the flavor is good.

Don't clean it with soap, only water. You don't want the metal taste...

I realize its been a while, but glad to find this post. I am so missing good drip coffee, which is odd being I live on an island named Java.

All the good coffee used to get exported as there wasn't the market for it locally. The situation's much better these days. Praise goes to the local hipsters!

Where are you based that you're missing out, and are you missing beans, equipment or both?

Reactions: LRB
All the good coffee used to get exported as there wasn't the market for it locally. The situation's much better these days. Praise goes to the local hipsters!

Where are you based that you're missing out, and are you missing beans, equipment or both?
This is why I'm going to get a French press and grinder. I don't like Nespresso. The capsules all taste the same to me.

I've been slowly moving away from the instant coffee sachets in an attempt to cut back my sugar intake. But, I just switched over to instant coffee granules with real milk. I'm not sure I could still drink four cups of coffee a day if it was actually coffee. I used to have such an iron stomach, too. 😩

Jakarta. I learned of a market not far from me that sells whole beans. Some will grind it for you also. I'm not finicky about coffee, but I like the convenience of a drip coffee maker. I do not have a grinder and I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. I just want to wake up, flip a switch, and sip on some coffee. I live in Bambu Apus near Taman Mini.

We love coffee (and tea too). 2-3 mugs americano per day and wife prefer Cappucino. Typically consume 1 kg/month.
while waiting for my coffee machine to arrive to our new home, hopefully this week, I'm using Bialleti expresso maker. Not bad at all.
I dont like Robusta or even mixed with Arabica. So, 100% arabica is a must. Glad Lavazza and Illy 100% arabica are available here and reasonably priced. No need to get the whole beans as the 250 g pack will be consumed in a week. So, the taste is not much change.

Living at 800m altitude we're lucky to have both robusta and arabica trees here. I can honestly say I can't tell the different in the taste (although the trees look slightly different). It may also be because my roasting skills are probably not the best, I usually roast them a bit too long.

I am a frugal soul & am oft found loitering in ACE Hardware's sale corner.
My best buy was a dinged but fully functional catering size coffee-maker for 125rb, pretty much identical to the one in the pic.
The only downside to it is that I have to unplug my freezer & one of the fridge freezers to run it or it trips the fuse in the kitchen :D
It is fab for when the band all come to the house for rehearsals.
I also freeze any extra coffee & then make up my own iced lattes.

1613988982303.png
1613988982303.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back