coffee lovers unite

Here I am in the Robusta capital of Indonesia and while I tried it when first here, I pass all I can. I'm still in Sumatra so the Aceh Gyo and Mandailing coffees are available. We use drip coffee makers and go through at least 2 kilos a month. Pot in the morning and a pot in the afternoon.

I found this on Tokopedia. It smells good and I like the taste. It's 106.000 for 500 gr.

Attachments

• IMG_20210224_084135.jpg
    IMG_20210224_084135.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 205
I like kopi Aroma, also available on tokopedia, if I am buying actual coffee. The smell truly is wonderful.
If you get it from the shop in Bandung, you can ask for your preferred grind. They must have an online presence as well by this point, so I imagine you can order it how you want with a bit of effort.

I like kopi Aroma, also available on tokopedia, if I am buying actual coffee. The smell truly is wonderful.
If you get it from the shop in Bandung, you can ask for your preferred grind. They must have an online presence as well by this point, so I imagine you can order it how you want with a bit of effort.
I noticed there are several versions. I may try the Toraja Arabica

I finally got everything needed to enjoy my French press - fresh coffee beans and grinder. It took some effort to find a store that carried fresh beans, but like they say third time's the charm.

I got Batavia house blend from MP cafe in Senopati. My my my, it's like night and day. I must've been given old beans when I tried French press coffee at cafes because it was the freshest, most delicious coffee I've ever had. I've been drinking coffee the wrong way all my life, it seems.

Here I am in the Robusta capital of Indonesia and while I tried it when first here, I pass all I can. I'm still in Sumatra so the Aceh Gyo and Mandailing coffees are available. We use drip coffee makers and go through at least 2 kilos a month. Pot in the morning and a pot in the afternoon.
Kopi Lintong is also worth a dabble. I really like this Mandheling from a coffee shop near work in PIK (https://www.tokopedia.com/northside...ing-natural-250gr-northsider-coffee-biji-kopi). I wonder if it is available somewhere near you. It's really good and worth paying up for as a treat once a month I think. :D

Kopi Lintong is also worth a dabble. I really like this Mandheling from a coffee shop near work in PIK (https://www.tokopedia.com/northside...ing-natural-250gr-northsider-coffee-biji-kopi). I wonder if it is available somewhere near you. It's really good and worth paying up for as a treat once a month I think. :D
We are pretty happy with our choices now. We have tried a lot of coffees during our years here and chose the ones we use as the most liked. We don't care about the price if it delivers what we like.

I dislike all but one Bali coffee I have ever tried. Definitely for the tourist. One from Kintamani is pretty good but most only roast it medium. It's like the casual Friday for coffees. I can't stand Toraja coffees at all. North in Sumatra is my area for coffee. Once in a great while if I can get my hands on it, a Peabody is nice.

I haven't heard of peabody. Do you mean peaberry, or am I missing out?

I agree with you about Bali coffee being underwhelming and I'd add Lampung to that category. North Sumatra is a good region. Have you tried any Papuan beans? Worth a go. I've also been pleasantly surprised by Flores.

Reactions: LRB
I quite like the naturally processed coffees from Flores. This one being a fave: https://www.tokopedia.com/smokingbarrels/flores-mbohang-natural-250gr-biji-kopi-arabika. This washed coffee from Papua was really pleasant when I ordered it a while back: https://www.tokopedia.com/pannacoffee/yakuhimo-papua.

I think Java coffees are my favorite local coffees. Not really sure why. There is definitely good stuff from across the archipelago though. I tend to find Torajan coffees a little bit acidic. Overall though, I think that the quality of coffee available online here is amazing. :D

I haven't heard of peabody. Do you mean peaberry, or am I missing out?

I agree with you about Bali coffee being underwhelming and I'd add Lampung to that category. North Sumatra is a good region. Have you tried any Papuan beans? Worth a go. I've also been pleasantly surprised by Flores.
sorry, fat fingers and brain not always engaged. Yes, Peaberry

I think many Bali growers don't care what they get or how it's processed. Package it up pretty and some tourist will buy it and take it home. I have not tried Pauan or Flores. Will check if I even have access to it here. Thanks for the tip.

Just to be pedantic, coffee beans from different regions can be peaberry. The word peaberry describes the bean itself not the origin of the bean.

Just to be pedantic, coffee beans from different regions can be peaberry. The word peaberry describes the bean itself not the origin of the bean.
Yeah, a Peaberry cherry produces a single bean and not two as the others do. I only know of Peaberry being grown commercially in Aceh and since we are talking Indonesian coffees, viola.

Hi, so first off im not sure where this thread belongs? Is there no food, drinks and dining section in this forum?
Im a coffeeholic and, Well since discovering online shopping and realising that i can get anything delivered to my door within a day or 2, i was wondering if we could compare coffees here.
Where i stay near lake toba, ive become fond of kok tong coffee, the coarse grind. But lately i find their flavour to be inconsistent, with only one in about 5 packs being drinkable. I think they changed their recipe and i dont enjoy it anymore.
So i was wondering, what brands of coffee do you guys swear by? I want to find something thats decent and consistent from pack to pack. I particularly looking for a preground filter coffee, but i suppose discussion can be open about anything related to coffee.
Thanks
I'm not coffee expert but I do love an ice latte so I can take my time over it (hot coffee is gone in no time at all). So far I have favoured Opal brand which I buy in Aeon mall, BSD, TangSel, then grind and brew at home. I don't like the after taste of strong coffee so usually go for medium acidity such as Gayu Arabica, Mandheling or Lintong but I like to try local coffee shops in Jakarta Selatan and TangSel.

Reactions: LRB
I'm not coffee expert but I do love an ice latte so I can take my time over it (hot coffee is gone in no time at all). So far I have favoured Opal brand which I buy in Aeon mall, BSD, TangSel, then grind and brew at home. I don't like the after taste of strong coffee so usually go for medium acidity such as Gayu Arabica, Mandheling or Lintong but I like to try local coffee shops in Jakarta Selatan and TangSel.
Personally, I can not imagine icing coffee. Personal preference. Then again, I can't see putting anything in a cup besides that rich dark gold.

Personally, I can not imagine icing coffee. Personal preference. Then again, I can't see putting anything in a cup besides that rich dark gold.
Many years ago, on my first holiday to Greece, I was introduced to a Frappe. My initial reaction was shock at such a heathen drink, but I went for it and have loved iced coffee ever since. Each to their own : )

Many years ago, on my first holiday to Greece, I was introduced to a Frappe. My initial reaction was shock at such a heathen drink, but I went for it and have loved iced coffee ever since. Each to their own : )
Agreed. When you're sitting under a hot tropical sun, nothing quite hits the spot like a giant iced black coffee.
Even more sinfully, I often make my day's water bottle with about a half a teaspoon of coffee in a liter and a half of water. It's like coffee and tea got together and adopted an unfortunate child neither of them really wanted. Beats the hell out of plain water though.

Yeah, a Peaberry cherry produces a single bean and not two as the others do. I only know of Peaberry being grown commercially in Aceh and since we are talking Indonesian coffees, viola.
I'm not sure you can grow peaberry commercially. It is not a type of coffee tree or type or species. It is a mutation of the cherry and for every harvest of any coffee tree you should have 1-4% or so of the cherries being a peaberry. You can then separate them through the sizer or some other means to be packaged as a peaberry of xx origin.

You could be right that only aceh coffee bean producers separate the peaberry and none of the other producers in Indonesia does.

I'm not sure you can grow peaberry commercially. It is not a type of coffee tree or type or species. It is a mutation of the cherry and for every harvest of any coffee tree you should have 1-4% or so of the cherries being a peaberry. You can then separate them through the sizer or some other means to be packaged as a peaberry of xx origin.

You could be right that only aceh coffee bean producers separate the peaberry and none of the other producers in Indonesia does.

Java Ijen Peaberry exists for sure: https://www.tokopedia.com/sahabatpusat/scuro-single-origin-java-ijen-peaberry-200gr?src=topads

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs