Banking question for Indonesian citizens overseas...

a-sha, I am curious as to whether or not you tried that help line number and were able to resolve your problems with Paypal?

a-sha, I am curious as to whether or not you tried that help line number and were able to resolve your problems with Paypal?
Not yet, I was a bit busy this week (perbaikan rumah baru, ada banyak masalah), but this Tuesday I will call this helpdesk in Australie. It will be a working day in Australie right. I wil report my experience.

a-sha, I understand exactly your problem and as mobile numbers tend to change over time I have had this problem with several sites including Paypal, and was effectively locked out for several years. However, I eventually found a help number which is located in the Philippines and was able to resolve the problem. The number I called is 0282239500.

I was using Skype at the time and I think the call was routed via Australia so maybe dial 61 as the Aus dial in code and then 282239500.

Increasingly it seems large organizations do not wish to erode their profit line by employing people to waste time on servicing customers with problems. Amazon are running a deceptive advertising line by offering customers "free delivery." The problem is if you accept "free delivery", and it is hard to find an alternative, you have committed yourself to membership of some program which automatically bills you something over $50 a year. Very hard to find how to cancel the so called membership and extremely hard to get help. Amazon are being taken to court in the UK for this deceptive activity. I will no longer use Amazon but I am afraid that so many organizations want your business but try and avoid costs involved in servicing problems or opting out of some charge that you had not wanted.

Good luck.
I tried a couple of times to call this number, but there is no connection. Sometimes also a voice over saying "number not defined". It's hopeless ... the customer service cannot be reached in Australia, just like in Holland. Even if I would get through, I think they want or cannot help me because my account is a Dutch account.

I have a creditcard from a bank in The Netherlands. Because this card is expired, the bank sent a new credit card, but never arrived at my adress in Indonesia. I asked the bank to send me again a new one. This card also never arrived. I am without a creditcard now for more than 4 months. Anyone similar experience with creditcards not arriving in Indonesia?

Because of this, I asked BNI if I can get a credit card. BNI asked to deposit minimum Rp. 10 juta and then I can get a credit card. With this card one can use 80% of the deposit. But .. what is the benefit of a credit(!) card like that? Or am I missing something?

I have a creditcard from a bank in The Netherlands. Because this card is expired, the bank sent a new credit card, but never arrived at my adress in Indonesia. I asked the bank to send me again a new one. This card also never arrived. I am without a creditcard now for more than 4 months. Anyone similar experience with creditcards not arriving in Indonesia?

Because of this, I asked BNI if I can get a credit card. BNI asked to deposit minimum Rp. 10 juta and then I can get a credit card. With this card one can use 80% of the deposit. But .. what is the benefit of a credit(!) card like that? Or am I missing something?

Ok quite common for cards and pins from overseas to take weeks or months to arrive when they send by prepaid postmarked business reply style envelopes

Best to request and pay for DHL, maybe $30 max from Eur to here
My offshore bank now sends my replacement cards by DHL from Isle of Man, can track and get it within 4-5 days

Regarding credit cards here, nowadays strict/er - must have kitas, NPWP etc
If you have all the paperwork and here legally and working legally and they can see some sort of regular income or some sort of credit history etc then you would and should easily get a card approval on the spot and card itself in 7 days

Limits depend on you and your wealth and status with the bank, 100,000dhs limit in Dubai ($25,000) would be hard here, even to get 100juta ($7,000) would be good
Or bank with HSBC, they would give you a basic one easily or do Premier Banking (global balance total $50,000) and get one with higher limit

If you work for a big company they usually have a preffered bank / bank rep they deal with

I personally would suggest you have BCA account for domestic and HSBC for overseas things, but these days even BCA you can TT internationally from the app / website etc and funds arrive next day

IMHO BCA credit card is the best if you get the SG air Krisflyer cobrand, you get points and SG miles and certainly in my case I spend enough on my card to get between 4-6 business class return flights a year to SG, always useful to have for a boring Saturday, spend an afternoon in the lounge in SG getting hammered and then fly back on the full service with champagne, wine etc

Last edited:

Always get a relative or friend to forward things like bank cards via DHL. Has worked well so far for me.

When I enquired about an Indonesian credit card they at least offered me use of 100% of the deposit. Still have my CC from the states but hardly ever use it.

Always get a relative or friend to forward things like bank cards via DHL. Has worked well so far for me.

When I enquired about an Indonesian credit card they at least offered me use of 100% of the deposit. Still have my CC from the states but hardly ever use it.
I will ask my bank if they are willing to send the creditcard next time by DHL or send it to a family member in The Netherlands. Knowing their strict rules about security, I doubt the bank will do that.

My case is not to Indonesia, but from Indonesia to Egypt when my cc expired. The bank told me that the can't send to my private address. Instead, they sent to their branch in Egypt, and I collected personally. No issue at all. Received my new cc in less than 2 week.

Like other people comments, I will not let the debit / credit card to be sent via normal snail mail. It is too risky. Keep in mind people will only need 16 digit card number, CVV, expiry date to use the credit card online. They already get all of this information from the card.
This is the first time I heard about this happen around the world, Is this typical in Indonesia. If this product turn to be like in this description it should not be called a creditcard.
For this it is probanly better to just apply a proper bank account with a debit card.

What about using Wise's physical card? I have one for my business wise account. but have not used it yet in Indonesia.
Wise will not be able to compete with Revolut which is using Interbank Exchange rate. The last time, last month I checked it Wise is adding 0.35% on the top of the interbank exchange rate. The limitation with Revolut basic version is that, there is a limit you could withdraw per month to avoid triggering fees/charges.

I have my sister receive our cards and then stick them in an International Priority Envelope and send through the US Post Office. Cost is 40 dollars and I get in 10 days. We used FedX once and they were 150 dollars and took 8 days. The local post office here did charge me Rp 12,000 for tax on the envelope.

Change your EUR correspondance address to a family member or teman who once a month can open or forward the important stuff to you in a FedEx etc

My case is not to Indonesia, but from Indonesia to Egypt when my cc expired. The bank told me that the can't send to my private address. Instead, they sent to their branch in Egypt, and I collected personally. No issue at all. Received my new cc in less than 2 week.
Good idea, maybe the bank can send the card to their branch in Indonesia, so I can collect it there.

Like other people comments, I will not let the debit / credit card to be sent via normal snail mail. It is too risky. Keep in mind people will only need 16 digit card number, CVV, expiry date to use the credit card online. They already get all of this information from the card.

This is the first time I heard about this happen around the world, Is this typical in Indonesia. If this product turn to be like in this description it should not be called a creditcard.
For this it is probanly better to just apply a proper bank account with a debit card.
That is exactly what I was thinking when I was at the BNI bank. I better deposit an amount of money at my BNI bank account instead.

I have my sister receive our cards and then stick them in an International Priority Envelope and send through the US Post Office. Cost is 40 dollars and I get in 10 days. We used FedX once and they were 150 dollars and took 8 days. The local post office here did charge me Rp 12,000 for tax on the envelope.
I doubt the bank will do that because of the strict security policy. I will ask though.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I was at the BNI bank. I better deposit an amount of money at my BNI bank account instead.
You might want to educate them telling them that product should not be called a creditcard, but instead it should be called an "Instant Access Saving Account with card". That is a general consensus where this sort of product is normally called in this world. Normally a saving account does not come with the card, as the name suggested "saving" and not to be used for daily use but a few savings accounts provide cards as a perk for emergency withdrawal / payment for instance for those who do not have more than one bank account.

Last edited:
You might want to educate them telling them that product should be called "Instant Access Saving Account with card". That is a general consensus where this sort of product is normally called in this world. Normally a saving account does not come with the card, as the name suggested "saving" and not to be used for daily use but a few provide a card as a perk for emergency withdrawal / payment for instance for those who do not have more than one bank account.
Yes I see. I was able to get a bank account number from BNI in the Netherlands, at a special event, 5 years ago. Now I understand I got a saving account number + a debit card. Transfering money to this saving account (e.g. Wise) is no problem, but GO's (e.g. Tax Authority in The Netherlands) won't accept a saving account number.

Last edited:
EU banks wont send cards to their Asian "branches" because it's a representative office not allowed to conduct or transact
Better send to a 3rd party in EU or request send to you directly here

They just won't accept the responsibility

And yes if you don't work or live here legally you will not be able to get any kind of "credit" facilities. At best a savings account and Atm card. Sometimes not even debit (because it has a visa / mc logo etc)

EU banks wont send cards to their Asian "branches" because it's a representative office not allowed to conduct or transact
Better send to a 3rd party in EU or request send to you directly here

They just won't accept the responsibility

And yes if you don't work or live here legally you will not be able to get any kind of "credit" facilities. At best a savings account and Atm card. Sometimes not even debit (because it has a visa / mc logo etc)
Okay, so the option of sending the creditcard to "indonesian branches" will not work. I am a pensionado, I don't work anymore. I have a spouse kitas. Will this limit my options obtaining a checking bank account number and credit card here in Indonesia. I heard that BCA only ask for a KITAS, nothing else.

What branch here does your European bank have? Impossible

And if you are retired and over 55 you will find it near impossible to even open a proper current / checking account. Zero chance of a credit card.

How long have you been here? Bit late now to be sorting these things
I pray you have health / medical insurance at least?

No not just bca but all banks should and supposed to request bpwp kitas kitaP etc

It's strict these days
Unfortunately it seems you are a bit phucked my friend

Should have planned this all years ago

Now you will end up here with no insurance no credit and no means to access your cash

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs