SKTT and KTP-OA: Indonesian identification for foreigners

KTP-OA, the Indonesian ID card for KITAP holders.

Indonesian law requires every foreign resident to possess identity documents issued by the Civil Registry (Dinas Kependudukan dan Catatan Sipil). To that end, the Indonesian Civil Registry issues two types of ID cards for foreigners: SKTT and KTP-OA. However, many people are not aware of this and may face penalties if caught without proper documentation. In addition, having these locally issued IDs makes it easier to give ID to an Indonesian entity, rather than using your passport.

Update August 2017

Our forum users report that Immigration now requires SKTT to extend a KITAS. Further, KTP-OA is required to extend KITAP and to process multiple exit and re-entry permit (MERP) extension. Therefore it is now even more important that you have these documents prepared. See our forum discussion here.

What is an SKTT and what is KTP-OA?

An SKTT (Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal) is an identity card that is issued to foreigners who hold a KITAS, are at least 17 years of age or are married.

A KTP-OA (Kartu Tanda Penduduk – Orang Asing) is issued to KITAP holders who are at least 17 years of age or are married.

Both documents are similar in appearance to the Indonesian National ID card (KTP). The SKTT is usually green. The KTP-OA is very similar to the KTP that Indonesians use, the main difference is the color.

KTP for Indonesians (top) and KTP-OA for KITAP holders (bottom)

The Civil Registry office in your city or regency (kabupaten) is in charge of issuing them.

The ID cards will have the same validity period as the KITAS or KITAP that the applicant is holding.

When and where should I apply SKTT or KTP-OA?

The law provides that you apply for these within 14 days of receiving your KITAS or KITAP.

You should apply at your local Civil Registry. Ask or Google for Dinas Kependudukan dan Catatan Sipil to locate the office near you.

You are required to update any data changes within 14 days of the change. Data changes include changes such as a change in address, marital status, etc.

Application (or extension) process.

Local law governs the application procedure in each area. As such, the application process does vary slightly between localities.

However, in general, you will require the following:

1) Passport + copy
2) KITAS/KITAP + copy
3) Passport Photos1
4) Police Report (Surat Tanda Melapor)
5) Surat Domisili (from Desa/Kelurahan) – see our article on how to get one.
6) Application fee2
7) KTP of Sponsor + Copy3
8) Kartu Keluarga (KK) Sponsor3,4
9) Buku Nikah/Akta Nikah/or report of marriage if married abroad5


1 Amount and size of photos will differ by localities.
2 Local regulation determines the fees. Could be free, but on average between Rp 100,000 to Rp 250,000. On the top end, it could go up to Rp 1.5 million (KTP-OA fee in Batam). When in doubt, ask to see a copy of the relevant local law (Perda).
3 only if you are on spousal or ex-WNI KITAS/KITAP
4 if you are a spousal or ex-WNI KITAP holder, you will be issued a new KK with your name in it
5 only if you are on spousal KITAS/KITAP

With the above in hand, go to the local Civil Registry office. In most cases, they should issue the ID card on the same day. However, sometimes you may have to return in 1-3 business days.

Penalty for non-compliance

The law in questions, Undang Undang  Nomor 23 Tahun 2006, specifies the following penalties:

  1. Not having the correct identity card or no identity card at all, a fine of up to Rp 2 million
  2. Not reporting changes in status such as marriage or name change, a fine of up to Rp 1 million
  3. Failure to show SKTT/KTP-OA upon request by an official, a fine of up to Rp 100,000

Note on penalties: Local governments set the actual amount of penalties. In many cases, it may be lower than the maximum allowed by national law.


Visit the Expat Indo Forum and add your voice!

More Law & Immigration Articles

About dafluff 33 Articles
Dafluff is a second generation expat in Indonesia. His parents, being a mixed WNA-WNI couple, moved the entire family to Bali in the early 80s. He was educated in the Indonesian national school system, then obtained engineering degrees in the US and lived in the US and Canada. A relatively recent returnee to Indonesia, he has benefited greatly from the online expat community, and is working hard to return the favor.