YOU shall not pass.

Our neighborhood has a community tent and chairs, paid for with donations from each household. Neighbors are pretty conscientious about contributing commensurate with their economic condition, and as with most local items, there are competitive and status preservation elements at work that influence who contributes how much. In any case, the bottom line is that the neighborhood has a nice size tent and folding chairs available for everyone's use. Just arrange with the PakRT.

You have to understand this is purely a discussion, right?

Ok let's get to you dead corpse rainy-stormy day, guest fainting gordian-knot problem. My thinking is simple, put a decent size military tent on that hand ball court, this will give you plenty of oxygen and a good volume of space compared to cramped house full of people. Cooking can be delivered from the house since it is all in one and the same complex. The same goes for the use of toilet. Brining water dispenser with resolve water issue.

And we are full circle back to the tent.

Let's just have one big glass of vodka
Thanks for the advise. That is what I did and it was much needed. Then I have missed the entrance of the tent. Sorry. If you need me, I am with crowd, somewhere on a chair in the middle of the road, or perhaps at the buffet. ;)

Thanks, let's slaughter our sheep for the prodigal son.

Welcome back............ Now that the prodigal son will be having a party, and serving sheep, will chairs be set up on the road or possible tent on basket or handball courts?

Regarding prior posts I am still somewhat confused............why don't the middle-lower class or poor not use their handball or basketball courts for their functions, instead of jammin up the roads?

Where I live they often are, at least partially. The church organization own some and many families also do. They lent it for free and in return get the same help when one of theirs deceased. Solidarity of the hood, for the poorest, is essential. Everybody works, donates, helps, supports, hugs, consoles, shares the pain. Yet, as I said before, the overall cost of the funeral, which often comes after some medical cost which have already shaken the family (where I live the BPJS is still very far from being universal), is often disproportionate compared to the resource of the family.
SO... are the tent and chairs only free if you use them to block public access to a road? "Hell no, you may not use the community tent in the unused field!"

Welcome back............ Now that the prodigal son will be having a party, and serving sheep, will chairs be set up on the road or possible tent on basket or handball courts?

Thanks. At New Year's Eve -together with my Balinese neighbor-, I put some tables and chairs on the street and took bottles of (European) wine and served snacks. We had quite some visitors from other houses at well. They're not used to informal get togethers* here and it was nice. The good thing is we are at the end of the street, I wouldn't do it if we would block the other houses.

*The 'tent situation' is normally by invitation only, unless it's a Melayat. And that's another frustration of many residents; all these ridiculously parked cars and wild urinating and polluting drivers from people who don't even live there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise. That is what I did and it was much needed. Then I have missed the entrance of the tent. Sorry. If you need me, I am with crowd, somewhere on a chair in the middle of the road, or perhaps at the buffet. ;)

Glad to hear you enjoyed some vodka. Hahahah yes .... I am also heading to buffet. I always get hungry during drinking sessions. Perhaps it is good idea for you to stay on the road just in case you would disrespect the family with urgent feeling of being sick. No offense A.!

Our neighborhood has a community tent and chairs, paid for with donations from each household. Neighbors are pretty conscientious about contributing commensurate with their economic condition, and as with most local items, there are competitive and status preservation elements at work that influence who contributes how much. In any case, the bottom line is that the neighborhood has a nice size tent and folding chairs available for everyone's use. Just arrange with the PakRT.

We have similar here we discovered when my FIL passed away.

A new twist... I showed this thread, in all its glory, to coworker whose family immigrated to Indonesia back when Jakarta was called Batavia. He called the house-plus-road-in-front-of-house weddings, and I quote: "kampung-a**-sh*t that has no business in Jakarta". So before you go posting ridiculous replies implying that the only person who cares about the inconvenience is a rude bule, I will point out that my coworker has been WNI his whole life (though he did study overseas on an F1 Visa).
My coworker brought up an interesting twist... a house just outside his neighborhood holds these so-called religiously significant events quite often... 8 times in the last six weeks, no less! Now, if a family holds a funeral in its house and expropriates the public road for its celebration, I can understand & empathize, but when a house is clearly running a freaking business which rises to the level of public nuisance, IMHO that is quite a different beast.
What do you think of the aforementioned situation? "Go complain to the RT...?" Guess who owns the "party house"...

A new twist......

The phenomena of Jakarta transplants taking on airs and rejecting kampung tradition as beneath them is not much of a new twist.

What is viewed as a "public road" and off limits for private use, in the West, is taken in Indonesia, from my experience, as part of the commons to be maintained, governed and used by the local community. Not surprising that a corrupt PakRT can take advantage of that view, but for the most part, the arrangement seems to work pretty well, especially given that commons space in Jakarta is at a premium.

The phenomena of Jakarta transplants taking on airs and rejecting kampung tradition as beneath them is not much of a new twist.

What is viewed as a "public road" and off limits for private use, in the West, is taken in Indonesia, from my experience, as part of the commons to be maintained, governed and used by the local community. Not surprising that a corrupt PakRT can take advantage of that view, but for the most part, the arrangement seems to work pretty well, especially given that commons space in Jakarta is at a premium.
The person in question is fifth-generation Jakartan (ancestors fled the Boxer Rebellion)... hardly a "transplant", let alone from "the West". Believe it or not, it is not just whitey who thinks kampung traditions (at least those which involve private expropriation of public commons) have their proper place... in kampungs.

Self-important city dwellers who disparage the traditions of their country brethren come from a variety of origins; perhaps a disdain country folk and their tradition is an attitude your 5th generation Jakartans brought with them. The use of racial epithets to characterize groups along with a notion that cooperative use of neighborhood common areas and equipment is a backwoods tradition makes it easy for me to discount your view as born, for the most part, of impatience at being inconvenienced.

Self-important city dwellers who disparage the traditions of their country brethren come from a variety of origins; perhaps a disdain country folk and their tradition is an attitude your 5th generation Jakartans brought with them. The use of racial epithets to characterize groups along with a notion that cooperative use of neighborhood common areas and equipment is a backwoods tradition makes it easy for me to discount your view as born, for the most part, of impatience at being inconvenienced.
"Racial epithets"??? Are you freaking kidding me? Please provide one single example of a racial epithet I have used against others. I am white. When I say "whitey", I am using it as a sarcastic way of responding to those in this thread who have implied that the only people who are complaining about rude people blockage of public roads for private functions are foreigners (white or otherwise).
When using loaded expressions like "racial epithet", please consider the context and only use such a term when people have actually said racist things about other people (not used the term in a self-referential way)!!!

And by the way, every race on earth has "kampungs". Hence "kampung" cannot be called a racial epithet with any validity. There was even a tv series in the 1960s about a (white) "kampungan" family moving to Beverly Hills: The Beverly Hillbillies.

What do you think of the aforementioned situation? "Go complain to the RT...?" Guess who owns the "party house"...
Jeez... You don't understand much about Indonesian local government structure, do you? Who do you think a Pak RT is? A god? It's one of the lowest echelon in the local government. If a Pak RT, pisses you off or infringe the law, you just go higher up. Is that so complicate for you to understand how the things work here?
You come up with the example of 1 Indonesian who tells you it is "kampung-a**-sh*t" and believe you have a point? I am gonna tell you something: there are Indonesians who are atheists and believe faith is kampung-a**-sh*t. You know how ridiculous I would be if I would try to argue that this point of view is a majority, or even a strong minority? I guess you don't.

Please, keep honking your horn.

Jeez... You don't understand much about Indonesian local government structure, do you? Who do you think a Pak RT is? A god? It's one of the lowest echelon in the local government. If a Pak RT, pisses you off or infringe the law, you just go higher up. Is that so complicate for you to understand how the things work here?
You come up with the example of 1 Indonesian who tells you it is "kampung-a**-sh*t" and believe you have a point? I am gonna tell you something: there are Indonesians who are atheists and believe faith is kampung-a**-sh*t. You know how ridiculous I would be if I would try to argue that this point of view is a majority, or even a strong minority? I guess you don't.

Please, keep honking your horn.
8 weddings in 6 weeks at the same house (and entirely blocking the same road). Do you consider that to be a reasonable "tradition"???
To me, it sounds a lot like a private business expropriating a public good (which one could argue was a tradition - on a much larger scale - during the Suharto regime).
As for elevating the status of RT to that of a "god", I seem to recall somebody saying that the objections to weddings blocking the road should be expressed to the (apparently "lowest echelon in the local government") RT/RW because the RT/RW was the one who approved the road closure... Hmm, who said that?
Furthermore, I accept that you have conceded that it is not only foreigners who object to the inconvenience of these "traditions". Thank you for admitting as much. I never claimed to have a majority or even sizable minority opinion, but I do object to your characterization that only foreigners object to these so-called "religious ceremonies" blocking roads. Therefore, "... preserving this tradition, which lightly impact traffic and costs a few precious minutes of a bule life..." is a demonstrably facile and inaccurate expression.
Do you have a business interest in selling supplies to house-and-street "religious celebrations"? I ask as a question rather than an accusation because the objections raised seem to have hit a nerve, and I am curious about why you seem so sensitive about the issue.

Last edited:
https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/on...tack-car-honk-driver-passenger-wounded-video/

Someone did just blast their horn at a funeral. Didn't end well.
Different circumstances, but those specific Grab drivers can go penetrate themselves. (side note: I like and occasionally use Grab, Uber, & Go-Jek, but any company that gets big enough will have some bad apples in its barrel).
As a general note for those on this thread who either explicitly or implicitly approve of mob violence: My home country also went through a period of mob violence. History does not look kindly on the perpetrators of said violence or their supporters.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloudcat
Back