What's going on with Setya?

It's going to be an interesting week or two......
'With the rejection of his objection, Setya Novanto's trial will continue. The next hearing is scheduled for Thursday, January 11. After that, there will be two hearings per week on Mondays and Thursdays.'

A sequel to the epic is that the KPK are investigating his lawyer and the doctor in the hospital he went after the accident...from JP...
"They [Fredrich and Bimanesh allegedly] cooperated to admit Setya to the hospital for treatment with a manipulated medical record so that he could avoid investigation by KPK investigators," Basaria added.
The KPK also suspected Fredrich was involved in the hospital stint as he allegedly had arrived earlier in the hospital to coordinate with doctors, she added."

Further to my above post # 42 the KPK have now arrested Setya's lawyer and the doctor in the Permata Hijau hospital on obstruction of justice charges.

Setya is plea bargaining to snitch other in exchange of a lighter sentence,
it will be interesting to see who is more culpable than him to implicate that KPK does not already know.

I'm beginning to wonder if there IS a bigger player...... shocking thought

Setya is plea bargaining to snitch other in exchange of a lighter sentence,
it will be interesting to see who is more culpable than him to implicate that KPK does not already know.

Yes, 20 years instead of 30

Today's ruling : https://news.detik.com/berita/d-398...96.1072709914.1524555775-802025916.1524555775

Crook has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Ordered to pay back amount of USD 7.300.000 (million!) : based on today's exchange rate = Rp 102.200.000.000 (billion!). That amount must be paid back within 30 days, otherwise the crook's personal assets will be seized & liquidated. If the seized assets are not enough value to pay in full the amount of Rp 102 billion, then 2 years will be added to his prison sentence of 15 years.

Fair ruling?
Too lenient?
Too harsh?

If it was me I rather keep my $7m for the extra 2 years but I see it says after liquidation

Usually players at this level shuffle assets around in a way that succeeds in making substantial amounts just disappear or have some of the assets passed on inside the family in ways that defy recovery.

The next question is whether or not Setya has served as the sacrificial lamb so that other villains can quietly slide away into the shadows? It will be interesting to see if there are further prosecutions.

Usually players at this level shuffle assets around in a way that succeeds in making substantial amounts just disappear or have some of the assets passed on inside the family in ways that defy recovery.

The next question is whether or not Setya has served as the sacrificial lamb so that other villains can quietly slide away into the shadows? It will be interesting to see if there are further prosecutions.

I'd also like to see further prosecutions...especially Novanto's sleazy lawyer who manipulated doctors and nurses on a wild goose chase while real patients must have suffered.

Crook has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Ordered to pay back amount of USD 7.300.000 (million!) : based on today's exchange rate = Rp 102.200.000.000 (billion!). That amount must be paid back within 30 days, otherwise the crook's personal assets will be seized & liquidated. If the seized assets are not enough value to pay in full the amount of Rp 102 billion, then 2 years will be added to his prison sentence of 15 years.

Fair ruling?
Too lenient?
Too harsh?
Remember that it is just the first step and that he will appeal first to the High Court, than to the Supreme Court. We have at least another 2 years to wait before knowing if it is a good news or not. And even after two years I wouldn't rule out some fool play behind the curtain to shorten the length he will stay behind bars.
Remember, some innocent (think Neil) are sentenced to lengthy terms and do it, while some true bastards get 15 years and end up spending just a third or less of it. This is the way it works.

That amount must be paid back within 30 days, otherwise the crook's personal assets will be seized & liquidated.
This also should be taken with a pinch of salt. A few years ago KPK was auctionning several hectares of land in my region seized from a former BKPM head convicted in a graft case. They were all agricultural land but very well situated, in a close proximity of some major developments and it was worth a few M.

Considering it had been seized and was about to be auctionned by the KPK I thought it would be easy to locate, see the lands and take a decision. I was really willing to bid for several of the plots sold, considering the information given by KPK about the location. The auction was advertised a month or so before it was due to happen.

There was no sertifikat provided by KPK for any of the plots because they had not been able to locate and seize them, albeit one for each plot had been issued under various names.

I made several trips to the "suspected" locations, talked to BPN with all information I had in hand, talked to pretty much any civil servants in the Desa concerned who could give information like the Hukum Tua, SekDes, identified owners of possible neighboring plot...etc, I phoned, emailed and faxed KPK in Jakarta and even visited them in JKT during a trip planned for other business reason.

Despite all my efforts and time spent I wasn't able to locate with precision ANY of the plots. I dealt with many very helpful and concerned KPK officers but they were all as hopeless as I was. They knew there was some assets, they new were they possibly were but that was pretty much it.

Came the time of the auction, I decided not to bid considering the headache it could become to be the owner of some ghost assets I couldn't precisely locate. :) Unsurprisingly no-one bidded. A year after, KPK tried again to auction the assets. Same result. I think it was around 2012. To the best of my knowledge the assets haven't find a new owner... nor the State got any money back of it.

This also should be taken with a pinch of salt. A few years ago KPK was auctionning several hectares of land in my region seized from a former BPKB head convicted in a graft case. They were all agricultural land but very well situated, in a close proximity of some major developments and it was worth a few M.

Considering it had been seized and was about to be auctionned by the KPK I thought it would be easy to locate, see the lands and take a decision. I was really willing to bid for several of the plots sold, considering the information given by KPK about the location. The auction was advertised a month or so before it was due to happen.

There was no sertifikat provided by KPK for any of the plots because they had not been able to locate and seize them, albeit one for each plot had been issued under various names.

I made several trips to the "suspected" locations, talked to BPN with all information I had in hand, talked to pretty much any civil servants in the Desa concerned who could give information like the Hukum Tua, SekDes, identified owners of possible neighboring plot...etc, I phoned, emailed and faxed KPK in Jakarta and even visited them in JKT during a trip planned for other business reason.

Despite all my efforts and time spent I wasn't able to locate with precision ANY of the plots. I dealt with many very helpful and concerned KPK officers but they were all as hopeless as I was. They knew there was some assets, they new were they possibly were but that was pretty much it.

Came the time of the auction, I decided not to bid considering the headache it could become to be the owner of some ghost assets I couldn't precisely locate. :) Unsurprisingly no-one bidded. A year after, KPK tried again to auction the assets. Same result. I think it was around 2012. To the best of my knowledge the assets haven't find a new owner... nor the State got any money back of it.

Auctioning seized assets is a very difficult preposition in Indonesia. Around Bali you can still see various properties that were seized during the 1998 financial crisis...still unsold.

Auctioning seized assets is a very difficult preposition in Indonesia. Around Bali you can still see various properties that were seized during the 1998 financial crisis...still unsold.
In my region it works surprisingly pretty well usually, certainly due to the fact that we are one of the region with the highest percentage of land having a proper land title attached and a rather low percentage of sengketa.

The Direktorat Jenderal Kekayaan Negara conducts such auction several times a month, for assets repossessed by banks or the State.

I have attended quite a few sessions and have bided (on the name of my wife) a few times and have been impressed by the smoothness of the whole process to be honest.

This case however was exceptional because it involved seized assets of a well known locally born corrupted pejabat who had put most of his assets under several names but his, and was obviously still benefiting from a kind of protection. That a kepala desa is "unable" to pinpoint and locate a land of several hectares on a map of his desa talks volume. Same at the BPN level. They issued a sertifikat, and therefore sent some people to survey and measure the land but here again, as soon as the name of the Pejabat was dropped, doors were closing and information about the lands became unavailable. The KPK, from what one of their agent told me, has had the same experience and headaches as I had.

Novanto gave up
He accepted 15 years verdicts. With his money he could live comfortably in prison. Maybe taking few days out off the prison sometimes too. After few remunitions, he could be out of prison before 2030, and people forgot him already

To the best of my knowledge, the guys only get to spend time outside the prison in their final year of incarceration, when they are being rehabilitated back into society.
Obviously, there have been one or two stories from the past indicating times when inmates have been out when they shouldn't have been. I think if Setnov (Satnav) goes to the prison I visit, he will be under pretty close scrutiny for probably the duration of his time there.
There have been changes made, prior to & post the Tempo article.

Seems like Setya has decided to squeal as he has named 5 Golkar politicians involved in the graft eKTP scheme.
First he says he didn't do anything wrong and now he implicates all who helped him.......there's a place for people like them.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/05/22/setya-names-five-golkar-politicians-in-e-id-trial.html

This all sounds very interesting, what amazes me is how they thought they could get away with it, by fiddling such large sums of money, sadly this seems to be the general level of intelligence of some of the politicians in the MPR who are supposed to try and improve the poor Indonesian lot

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819