What happened to Hacienda

Ruserious

I recommend trying a relatively cheap place called taco local in Dharmawangsa, particularly the fried chicken taco. Not particularly authentic but really nice tasting food. Small place so i tend to get delivery from there.

Wow i didn't realise Superloco already closed.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Hacienda still exists in Surabaya is what I just heard. Seminyak (Bali) is also closed.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
^ the former is much more fast-food like than its Jakarta sibling btw.

If you like the US chain Chipotle then Pablano is perhaps something for you? But it doesn't come very cheap, even if it looks that way. In Pacific Place.

El_Goretto

Cager
Btw, I've tried a place in Senayan in Ruko Permata Senayan called Casa Mexico. Very nice food and margaritas. I heard the chef if related to the chef at Hacienda if I'm not mistaken.

Hacienda in Plaza Arcadia is no more btw.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
For anyone in Bali, we’re headed to Sanur at the end of the month. Any Mexican food recommendations? A friend said Mr. Jalapeño was good.

snpark

Cager
Casa Mexico is chef Geraldo place. Same chef ex haciaenda arcadia before

jstar

Mr. 10,000
For anyone in Bali, we’re headed to Sanur at the end of the month. Any Mexican food recommendations? A friend said Mr. Jalapeño was good.
If you can make it to Seminyak (which I prefer over Sanur anyway, esp. the beach), try the Lacalaca Cantina Mexicana. Rather nice. In Sanur is quite a good Indian resto, opposite of the expensive supermarket.

snpark

Cager
used to be a hacienda in bali, same owners as arcadia etc, not sure if open still?

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
used to be a hacienda in bali, same owners as arcadia etc, not sure if open still?
I wasn’t impressed with them in Jakarta, so doubt I’d search for them in Bali.

I’ll be by the airport for 5-6 days, and 7 days in Sanur. My first trip to Indonesia I stayed at a little homestay in Sanur for 100k a night. Ever since, it’s been my favorite area to stay in, although I don’t stay in any more 100k, no AC rooms.

Puspawarna

Cager
Are we distinguishing between Tex-Mex and Mexican here? Because both are good, but they are not identical. True Mexican food is, in my admittedly limited knowledge,* far more sophisticated than Tex-Mex.

* I used to visit my parents when they lived in Mexico for about 10 years, and I own and even occasionally use two Diane Kennedy cookbooks. Bow before me now, I am clearly an expert.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
True. There probably are no real Mexican restaurants here. I stayed in Guadalajara quite often and of course you shouldn't order burrito, chili con carne, nachos/tacos or quesadilla there. The cuisine is almost like Italian (e.g. meat in tomato sauce) but then often served with soft flour tortillas. (So you could compare it a bit with fajita dishes from up north).

It's also dependent on the area of course (I guess the North of Mexico also got influenced by big brother); you can't generally say there is a Mexican cuisine. Then even Latin American could be more correct.

I don't mind eating at Taco Bell or the mex version of Carl's Jr. or Chipotle. But it's fast food of course, a McD version of Tex-Mex.

snpark

Cager
One man's paella is another man's nasi goreng seafood

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
I’ve eaten Mexican food on 4 continents. Most outside North America isn’t worthy.

I’m primarily a fan of Sonoran style. Nothing too fancy. Great green chili, fresh corn tortillas, machaca tacos and burritos. Excellent refried beans to die for. A spicy hot sauce, flavorful, and not just meant to burn your nose hairs off.

My favorite places are in Southern California or Arizona. If there is a sizeable hispanic population, there is bound to be someplace good.

While I do try some of the high brow Mexican food, with mole sauce and other fancy stuff, the majority just aren’t the comfort food I grew up with. I used to get the best burritos off the pier in San Diego for 50 cents each in the 70’s. And kickass large green burros in Arizona for $1.35 in the late 70’s and early 80’s, plus free corn chips and salsa.

I’ve eaten at mass market Mexican places in Jakarta, like Amigo’s that are ok. I also made the mistake of trying the Amigo’s in Bandung once, while it was open. Worse Mexican in the whole country.

Many Indonesian restaurants make their salsa sweet, which never goes down well.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I’ve eaten at mass market Mexican places in Jakarta, like Amigo’s that are ok. I also made the mistake of trying the Amigo’s in Bandung once
Amigos in Bellagio had a Mexican manager-chef not so long ago. He tried to make it more profitable by (re)introducing a lunch buffet, this time with more authentic food.

It was quite good. But business did not really pick up. He had worked in California before so took over that 'you're my friend' approach (and he was already very extrovert with a rather short attention span). Can you imagine the guy approaching locals at their table asking how the meal was and starting to chat (in English)? 😅

In Jimabaran close to the Mövenpick hotel there is a restaurant named Cacho's with an ex-surfer from Puerto Rico as owner. He has had some ongoing staffing issues but the food is not bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daedalus
Top Bottom