Today's menu:

6ece3828-1a42-43f4-9d5c-aae8443e0c09.jpeg

Light dinner of the obvious soft boiled eggs & soldiers in my treasured red plastic double egg cup which I brought with me from Australia, bought it from K Mart or Target whatever about 25 years ago or more, cain’t get em’ anymore, not in that style or colour so it seems, priceless collector’s item I reckon, maybe I’ll pass it on to my kids….. if they’re lucky.

Simple breakfast this morning.

20210721_063337_copy_800x600_copy_800x600.jpg

Missus cooked some coconut muffins, very tasty I must say.

IMG-20210721-WA0002_copy_800x600.jpg

Evening, delivery from my fav French place. Picture doesn't do it justice as the presentation suffered a bit from the delivery trip ....
Hachis parmentier de boeuf bourguignon (casserole of slow cooked beef in.red wine sauce, served between 2 layers of mash with emmental cheese)
IMG-20210721-WA0004_copy_800x600.jpg

This evening we went a bit gastronomic.
Long time I hadn't a veal blanquette (blanquette de veau) so Youtube is my friend, made sure we had all the ingredients, and we did except for the veal which is not easy to find here, so pork blanquette it was .
A bit of a long prepararion with quite some ingredients, but the sauce turned out perfectly, the pork was still a little bit undercooked although stewed for 1 1/2 hour. But I noted already that finding tender meat here is close to mission impossible.
A look on the ingredients :

IMG-20210722-WA0004_copy_450x800.jpg

The finished product :
IMG-20210722-WA0009_copy_800x600.jpg

Served with Basmati rice prepared with some cummin and safron. And prepared in a fry pan (like paella). The Missus agreed that yep, it tasted very nice and a change from the eternal white rice in the rice cooker !

For the adventurous, here is the recipe. By a frog who speaks proper English ....

You can use pressure cooker to stew tough meat, 30 - 40 minutes would be enough.

Yes, one of the items that we don't have . Maybe will order it from Santa in December !
If you have a crock-pot, you can make even the toughest meat fall-of-the-fork tender by leaving it in there on high for a few hours. I even managed to make reasonably edible rendang using water buffalo meat that way once.

If you have a crock-pot, you can make even the toughest meat fall-of-the-fork tender by leaving it in there on high for a few hours. I even managed to make reasonably edible rendang using water buffalo meat that way once.
Yes, crock-pot is good multifunction cooker. Not cheap, and make sure you get the real crock-pot if you buy online.
We bought one to replace our pressure cooker and disappointed we get the fake one, very poor quality.

The nice things with conventional pressure cooker - less cost, no electricity, and much longer life time. Ours is more than 15 years old.

Well, as today restos re-opened we rushed to our fav beach restaurant for lunch.
Watching the sea, listening at the waves (and the music in the background), and taking in some healthy air.

Shared some springrolls with the Miss for starter.

Next, curry for her and chicken , cordon bleu for me
IMG-20210726-WA0003_copy_800x600.jpg

IMG-20210726-WA0001_copy_800x600.jpg

I couldn't resist a little dessert....

IMG-20210726-WA0004_copy_600x800.jpg

All washed down with 3 glasses of red wine.

Pensioner's life ain't that bad and life is good when you know how to enjoy it !
And there is this saying I learned when living in Britanny "better spend your money at the butcher or restaurant than with the doctor"
Wise words !

Wow. I like how you eat, man. Half the time I debate over whether or not I can be bothered to do anything more than chop and saute, but you seem to have something different every day. Nice..
I always loved cooking, since young. The Missus likes it also, appreciates most European / French food (a pre requisite to live with me). She having worked many years in HK and SGP she is not bad at Chinese stuff as well.
And now that we are retired, we have plenty time to spend on it.
Proper / varied / equilibrated food is one of the keys to a good health.

Thanks for the compliment.

Now, cooking is nice when you are a couple, or a family, but if I was alone I would sure be much more lazy. Spending half to one hour preparing something that you swallow down in 5 minutes is not really attracting.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back