Smart TV...

I tried to find xiaomi/realmi TV on tokopedia...almost hard to find...so my next two choices would be either Hisense or TCL. We'll see. TCL seems to be more popular though. I see A8 and A10 with not too much difference (except A8 has two remotes and A10 has one...but I've seen some reviews where stores only deliver A8 only with one remote, claiming it's TLC's policy.)

If you search 'Mi TV 55' and tick the purple tick box you will find over 50 listings for Xiaomi TVs. Prices seem to vary from 6.5jt - 8jt. See the image below :)

Attachments

• MI TV 55 Banana.PNG
    MI TV 55 Banana.PNG
    252 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Technically if the TV is already a smart TV, no need to use firestick or boxes anymore, no..since the TV is already 'smart'/android based..right?
I personally don't like that the TV tech will be out of date in a few years so prefer the tech I can attach. TV screen tech doesnt age as fast as the smart TV tech parts.

If you search 'Mi TV 55' and tick the purple tick box you will find over 60 listings for Xiaomi TVs. Prices seem to vary from 6.5jt - 8jt. See the image below :)
Thanks! Seems that there are quite a few 55s...but when i typed 50...everything is on pre-order!

I tried to find xiaomi/realmi TV on tokopedia...almost hard to find...so my next two choices would be either Hisense or TCL. We'll see. TCL seems to be more popular though. I see A8 and A10 with not too much difference (except A8 has two remotes and A10 has one...but I've seen some reviews where stores only deliver A8 only with one remote, claiming it's TLC's policy.)
Whatever you do, don't get a Samsung TV. I don't care what bells and whistles they have with SMART LED, 4K UHD, blah blah blah. Fact is, they have a serious issue with wi-fi connectivity.

Every couple of weeks I have to go into settings and reset the network, inputting my password to re-launch Netflix, Youtube, or HBO GO. It's a pain in the ass. My brother-in-law, who helped me set up a wi-fi expander, even told me his Samsung inexplicably has this issue. I'm getting an LG or Sony next.

Whatever you do, don't get a Samsung TV. I don't care what bells and whistles they have with SMART LED, 4K UHD, blah blah blah. Fact is, they have a serious issue with wi-fi connectivity.

Every couple of weeks I have to go into settings and reset the network, inputting my password to re-launch Netflix, Youtube, or HBO GO. It's a pain in the ass. My brother-in-law, who helped me set up a wi-fi expander, even told me his Samsung inexplicably has this issue. I'm getting an LG or Sony next.
My LG has similar problems with wifi. If I use a wired connection there are no issues.

Netflix is available in Indonesia now, I know because I have it- & yes I am that only person anyone knows who actually pays for N/f hahaha.
It can't have been hard to set up because I did it all by myself- shock , horror!
Lucky you , tried to connect but tells me not available in my area , south /east java .

Whatever brand you get keep the backlight setting low . Had the backlights replaced twice in my LG led/lcd 42" in the 3 years I've had it . The last time a technician came to the house and serviced it and also had to replace the motherboard . They overheat easily if the backlight level is set to high in the settings menu and short out the backlights and IC's on the motherboard . Now have a small 100mm x 100mm fan mounted on the wall behind the vents to increase ventilation and keep it cool and keep the backlight setting on about 15-20 .

Personally, I recommend Sony as a brand. They have a great upscaler processor. The smart TV feature is a Chromecast HD built in.

In the past we would select TVs by picture quality but the processor strength is a new consideration we need to take.

Technically if the TV is already a smart TV, no need to use firestick or boxes anymore, no..since the TV is already 'smart'/android based..right?

Yes, that's correct.

I also have an older smart TV and I go crazy on how slow it is. Also it doesn't have all the apps (no HBO Go, Disney+ etc) and Netflix is in HD only (weird for a 4K TV).

So I got myself a Google Chromecast with Google TV dongle. It plugs straight into my slightly below average IQ TV and comes with a remote that controls both the Chromecast and the TV. Now I have a lot more apps than I know what to do with and I can take the Chromecast with me (it's very small) if I'm travelling to make any hotel TV a very smart one.

I prefer a dedicated device since it may be worth upgrading every few years while the TV itself should easily last 10 years. Google TV for basics, Android (Xiaomi Mi Box) if you prefer Android products, or AppleTV if you have Apple products.

I do enjoy LG and if you have issues the customer service in Jakarta is great. Samsung as well, I have a 55 inch OLED and I love it! and a 65 inch LG in the living room, Apple tv 4K for both rooms and first media for TV, most of the new TV's have 1GB LAN ports so CAT 7 to my router works great and 4K movies from apple TV don't buffer. For media I have a Synology NAS with 48TB of storage which is more than enough for TV and 4K movies. Just depends how you want to go about it.

Well, folks fast forward a few months later, got me a Samsung AU8000 (not my personal choice btw..long story short it was bought for a different purpose and wife decided we would pay for it and exhanged it with our 7 year old 42 inch LG.

All is ok I guess except whenever I try to connect my WD Box...the picture goes black every 5-10 seconds. I've quickly searched youtube, couldn't really find anything and I've tried to go into the setting on both the TV and the WDbox I couldn't find anything that'll help...

It's fine with my firstmedia box from different HDMI input.

Nothing has changed except the TV. Yes we upgraded to 30Mb and a different router (which worked fine).

Have a Samsung 49 inch and haven't had to reset anything for about 3 years.

Netflix is available in Indonesia now, I know because I have it- & yes I am that only person anyone knows who actually pays for N/f hahaha.
It can't have been hard to set up because I did it all by myself- shock , horror!
Well I guess that would make me the only other person who pays for it.
I tried using shared accounts from Tokopedia, a few times, but it was WAY too annoying,
always oversold, so that when trying to use it, wouldn't be able to, due to too many users already using. I now have the Premiere Family Package, with 5 totally functional accounts, never a problem, and I use it for at least 2 to 3 hours each weeknight, while I workout.
At 186,000 per month, and with all 5 of us able to watch whatever we want at the same time, that strikes me as quite a deal.
I just finished setting up Disney+Hotstar, after my son told me that it is only 199,000 PER YEAR!
Can be used on 2 devices at the same time.
I am looking forward to watching all 11 SEASONS, (around 200 episodes) of The X-Files, The Gods Must Be Crazy, every episode of The Simpsons, and a wealth of other stuff. I just started compiling my watch list.
At slightly over a dollar a month? Count me in, nice price point!

Last edited:
With a VPN you can also access UK and US versions which have different content

Thanks for the headsup, although I can't even imagine watching all the stuff I already have available.
When I want to watch Beavis & Butthead save America in their movie I use VPN stateside. But hey, it is always nice to have options.

I use a 43" LG UHD TV as my monitor at my desk, and we have a couple more downstairs.
The LG Dual Inverter Technology used in their ECO Style air conditioners is very good, and cost and energy efficient. The user can select the amount of energy to run at, from 100%, 80%, 60%, 40% which is fantastic. Well engineered, variable speed technology, greatly reduces power draw and cost. We also have a big LG refrigerator, which works very well.

Does anyone know where to buy a new NOT Smart, Not Android, 55inch simple HDTV (not 4K) in Indonesia.

In other words a regular old fashioned TV without all the Smart Google TV nonsense.?

I want to use the TV as computer monitor and don't need Netflix or Disney or any of that stuff.

Which manufacturers make simple TVs anymore.?

I found this 40" one on Tokopedia. I doubt you will be able to find a larger one, but TOKOPEDIA is probably the easiest place to search, and hopefully you find what you are after.
This one has an HDMI input.

I found one... https://www.tokopedia.com/hardwarecbdg0194/lg-55lv340c-tv-led-full-hd-digital-tv-55-inch-best-deals?extParam=ivf=false&src=search

1660867171572.jpeg

If you do find something like this in a brick & mortar store, clearly it would be old unsold inventory, and presumably you would be negotiating with a reasonably motivated seller, keen to clear dated stock.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819