Mobil Rakyat...new cars

With Mazda, a lot of attention goes to the 3.

So in Indonesia, the Mazda 2 -which is only available as hatchback, not as sedan- did not get the facelift yet which you'd get anywhere else.

Before.

0ibyco4bma4t_800.jpg

After.

7wsy3hrbxa4w_800.jpg

Another car which did not get the facelift in Indonesia, is the -in India produced and in Bekasi assembled- Suzuki Baleno.

This car had many different names and models in the past, depending on country. You might remember it as Aerio or Liana.

Before:
images

After:
3cmyqllbyh20_800.jpg

Suzuki decided not to sell the Celerio and Baleno anymore in Europe (also there they didn't get the facelift) so that could be a red flag ?if you consider this car.

Last edited:
So in Indonesia, the Mazda 2 -which is only available as hatchback, not as sedan- did not get the facelift yet which you'd get anywhere else.

Before.

0ibyco4bma4t_800.jpg

After.

7wsy3hrbxa4w_800.jpg

Apparently not a bad car if one gets the 1.5 turbo diesel and a chip kit.

They stopped selling the Mazda 2 diesel in 2018 (atmospheric, Mazda doesn't believe in smaller turbo engines). I think it's only available in gasoline now.

The CX-3 is in fact based on the Mazda 2, not the 3. That's why it's not that big.

That new Mazda 3 is a real good car. Esp. with the new SkyActive X engine which is very interesting. But over here they only sell the SkyActive G version and that for a staggering 500 Juta+. Just too much.

@Wisnu must be exhilarated; Lada returns to Egypt!

Not only for sale, but there's also an assembly facility.

Btw, in many countries the Datsun brand which we know of the Go (+ or Cross), consists also of rebatched Lada's.

This Granta will be sold for 158,000 EGP ($9K):

mxayaecb80hl_800.jpg

It kinda reminds me a bit of the Volkswagen Vento my parents drove in the 90’s

@Wisnu must be exhilarated; Lada returns to Egypt!

Not only for sale, but there's also an assembly facility.

Btw, in many countries the Datsun brand which we know of the Go (+ or Cross), consists also of rebatched Lada's.

This Granta will be sold for 158,000 EGP ($9K):

mxayaecb80hl_800.jpg

I believe Lada used to be quite popular in Egypt, at least decades ago. Until now, many old ugly Lada still crawling on the road. Mostly used by military personnel or black taxi.
Don't see the New Granta so far. Price is attractive but not sure what market they are trying to target. They will hardly compete with Chinese cars which already dominating the low segment of auto and motorcycles markets.

That is something that I expected much earlier in Indonesia; the invasion of (cheap) Chinese cars.

Brands as BYD (who are specialized on electric cars) would love to have production facilities here, also to provide to the ASEAN zone and even Australia.

You can see what the power and level of influence of the big Japanese brands is.

BYD is probably the most popular Chinese car here in Egypt. Not the electric one.
Actually, we are in Luxor, Nile cruise with private tour, they provided us with BYD, very new car. No complain, seem nice car, the control panel is much better than our 4 years old Nissan sentra.

Cool, have fun.

I was sitting in the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport today, after driving an Xpander yesterday. I must say that both were rather nice, suspension just right, not too soft not too hard. And the quality of the interior beats the Avanza and Fortuner.

Ford is introducing an electric SUV and they are calling it the......

.......Mustang Mach-E

q2xypkrbqw7z_800.jpg

nlgyot4bgohh_800.jpg

Nothing wrong with developing a Tesla (3 or X) clone but that name, for me it's cursing in the church.

Btw, Volkswagen is investing $60 billion over five years in new technologies, of which $33 billion will be in electrification.

VW expects 7-8 new electric models per year over a period of 10 years.

And in the meantime, GM is predicting the revival and return of the sedan. Well, we will see.

Curing in Church...how so? Ford has, since the outset of the line, used the Mach term to set its performance edition Mustangs apart. "Mach-E" does seem a bit obvious in a trite, unimaginative sort of way, but it gets the job done.

First of all I think it does not make sense for Ford to use the iconic Mustang name for an electric SUV/crossover. And Mach (as a performance package indicator) as name for a model?
All this is a bit as using the Datsun name for the cheapest line of Nissan and Lada.
Or reviving the car brand name Borgward, establish it in Germany and introduce this car for the brand, produced in China...

images

I kind of like Mercedes' approach; they make clear with which model range the electric family can be compared (A, B, C, E, S) but still make it a separate EQ family. So EQA, EQC, etc.

Tja, MG ?

But Morris is back!

ftkywelbcm40_800.jpg

d50y369b323t_800.jpg

je2ysf4bej4x_800.jpg

Well, Morris Commercial. Based on the Morris J-Type from the 40-ies.

Funded by British and Chinese investors.

You've probably seen the green taxi's from Gamya. The Gamya cars were in fact the Nissan Tiida (or Latio) and in the US these small sedans are called the Versa. Now Nissan is about to present a new version of the Versa. But I don't expect this competitor of the Toyota Vios in Indonesia anymore.

m1mykekblpav.jpg

This is the Asian (steering wheel on the right) version of the Almera / Versa / Latio / Tiida. Take your pick. Made in Thailand. As you can see, they styling is rather different from the American version.

7q0y3cbbalhe_800.jpg

ds9yohgbvmwc_800.jpg

41xyrneby5p2_800.jpg

There are quite some large SUV's introduced lately. Although Dubai probably has a bigger target audience for these types of cars, you will definitely see some of those appear on Jakarta's roads.

Big bigger biggest....

Fast faster fastest....

Luxurious lavish opulent....

Mercedes GLE63S
achyxwwbtsop_800.jpg

Mercedes AMG GLS63
g2xyraxbg0oh_800.jpg

Audi RS Q8
56bydmsbr72s_800.jpg

Mercedes Maybach GLS
gpdywmyboxwc_800.jpg

Aston Martin DBX
lqnyekgb112y_800.jpg

Tesla cybertruck, Weird and ugly beast,
I'll consider if reasonably priced in Indonesia, parking in Jakarta could be an issue with its 2m wide and 6m lenght

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back