KITAP - The "Unlimited" One

ukcouple

Charter Member
Cager
I have some questions regarding the "unlimited" KITAP - which is more expensive than the regular one so should have some advantages right.? But what are they.? I ask because..

1. You still have to 'report' to immigration every 5 years (it says so on the KITAP card and gives the 'report' date.) . So what exactly does 'report' mean.? Obviously you have to get a new KITAP card and go through all the finger printing, photo taking stuff again so what's different.?

2. Based on the 5 year KITAP (unlimited or not), you can only get a 5 year KTP and so only a 5 year valid driving license. Again having an 'unlimited' KITAP doesn't make any difference.

3.Are there any advantages to having an 'unlimited' KITAP that are not immediately obvious.?

thanks

I will be interested to see what other answers you get, but one clear advantage is that the 5 year reporting to immigration has no cost. So getting your unlimited KITAP should be the last time you ever pay a fee to immigration, other than MERP which I believe will continue with the same fee. I should also hope the reporting is a quicker and simpler process than filing for the extension.

One of the advantages is you can apply for Indonesian citizenship, or at least easier for you.

I have some questions regarding the "unlimited" KITAP - which is more expensive than the regular one so should have some advantages right.?

That's an interesting way of looking at it. A KITAP is still a KITAP whether it's the first one or the second (seumur hidup - lifetime) one.
The main reason the price is much higher is that you never have to pay a KITAP fee again, it is, as it is called, for a whole lifetime. So let's say you stay here for 40 years (8x5), the price you pay for each 5-year period is much lower, you can divide it by 8. In accounting terms you can depreciate the cost over your remaining lifespan.
A second advantage is that you don't need to spend a month renewing it every 5 years, no need to go to all the different offices, take letters from A to B etc. I would imagine you just go into your immigration office and get a new card and do a new photo. [not sure of the exact details].
The third thing is that it is not a choice, that is just the system now. First KITAP is for 5 years, second is for your lifetime with a reporting requirement every 5 years. Compared to how things were 10 years ago, the system has improved a huge amount, and that acknowledgement that you are now allowed to stay here for your whole life seems to me to have a value too, not monetary maybe, but certainly psychological.

How much is the 5 year one vs the lifetime one?
https://www.imigrasi.go.id/info/tarif-pnbp 5 juta for 5 year, 10.2 juta for lifetime.

The third thing is that it is not a choice, that is just the system now. First KITAP is for 5 years, second is for your lifetime with a reporting requirement every 5 years.
I thought the same, but then I noticed in the link above that there is also a fee for extending the first 5 year for an additional 5 years, so it seems you can stay on 5 year KITAP as well. So the price is (nearly) the same if you want 10-15 years of KITAP, and if you want a day over 15 years you save 5 juta, and 5 more every subsequent 5 years.

..I would imagine you just go into your immigration office and get a new card and do a new photo. [not sure of the exact details]..
Has anyone here actually done the 5 year report.?
It would be nice if it was just a matter of rolling up at the immigration office to say hi and get a photo taken for a new card. But I suspect there is more involved than that.

I suspect, (although I don't know for sure), that at reporting time you will need to resubmit all the same original documents again. (Then of course go through all the same hassles to get a new KTP, KK and driving license.)

Can anyone confirm or deny that.?

The question remains. Is there any substantive legal difference between the two types of KITAP that justifies the description 'unlimited'.?

I hadn't realised that, I don't remember being given a choice. But perhaps ticking a different box on the application form would have resulted in getting another 5 year one.

Edit: I have just looked at the Tanda Terima Permohonan at Central immigration, and there are 2 relevant boxes. One says "perpanjangan ITAP" (which is the one I ticked) and the other says "ITAS/ITAP baru" which I understood to mean the first KITAP.

The main reason the price is much higher is that you never have to pay a KITAP fee again, it is, as it is called, for a whole lifetime. So let's say you stay here for 40 years (8x5), the price you pay for each 5-year period is much lower, you can divide it by 8. In accounting terms you can depreciate the cost over your remaining lifespan.
By law PNBP are reviewed every three years. It means that every 3 years the fee charged for an ITAP baru may be increased. Today it's Rp 5 juta, in 6 years it may be 7 or 10 juta... or more. The free report will remain a free report so the Rp 10 jt for the "lifetime ITAP" is a pretty good value it you consider how the ITAP fee has been increased over the years.

Also, I prefer to have an ITAP granted for life rather than being caught by surprise with a change of regulation making for example the procedure to get a NEW ITAP more difficult. It's very unlikely that a regulation would make the "report every 5 years" more difficult. A regulation asking you more paperwork or adding conditions to new ITAP seekers, that's another matter.

Based on my recent experience with my 1st extension (using agent)...I am reminded again that in Indonesia, why make things easy if you can make it difficult? Sorry for being pessimistic, but in theory it seems too simple that once you get that 2nd KITAP (Unlimited)...all you do is just 'reporting' yourself...I think the immigration will think of something...like a letter of sponsor, etc which in my case being an ex-WNI...my sponsor is my dad (and he's not getting younger) hope the change in sponsor (if/when necessary) won't be as difficult. Well...we'll see how yours turn out in less than four months Atlantis!
(btw i finally got my KTP, revised KK...passport and KITAP this month...hope my next extension in 2025 won't be a nightmare like this one!)

Well...we'll see how yours turn out in less than four months Atlantis!
It may be earlier than that. I have checked my KITAP and my date to report is indeed in April 2021. However as an ITAP can be extended as early as 3 months before its expiration and as late as 1 working day before it, the "free report" follows the exact same rule.
I was lazy (and busy) for my ITAP extension 5 years ago and submitted my application exactly 1 working day before it expired. I promised to my wife that I would be a good boy this time and will submit my free report application 3 months prior the expiration of my extended ITAP. Well... "more or less 3 months", or at least not at the last minute like 5 years ago. So you should hear about me and my laporan soon.

By law the "free report" follow the same step that an extension (KanIm, KanWil, DitJenIm) so I don't expect it to be fast. Just the same routine as before, involving a wawancara and a few visit to my beloved Kanim. I didn't see them for 5 years so I can give them some of my time. Plus I am sure there are a bunch of new faces so it's gonna be fun meeting new people.

Just to know permanent kitap rules unlimited kitap need merp to leave enter indo ?
And if stay out of indo more than 1yr need epo process or permanent kitap good enough for entry exit anytime

and permanent kitap still need permission s etc yearly to maintain it ?
local income yearly tax or no need if no work income

unless indo passport entry exit need approval s? Etc out of indo few years without pp not possible?

Just to know permanent kitap rules unlimited kitap need merp to leave enter indo ?
Yes.
And if stay out of indo more than 1yr need epo process
Yes, KITAP expires if you are outside of Indonesia for over 1 year. At least that was the case before Covid. There is some leniency right now.
permanent kitap still need permission s etc yearly to maintain it ?
No.
local income yearly tax or no need if no work income
You need a tax number if you have any taxable income. This may not be limited to just work income.
out of indo few years without pp not possible?
Possible, but your KITAP expires, you will need to apply for a new one.

Mine is due in March or April 2021. Stay tuned.
Mine is due in March or April 2021. Stay tuned.
Hi, have you “report” yourself before the due date of Whole life KITAP? Mine due next year and I went to immigration to confirm documents and one of the officer told me the process and cost are just like the 5 years KITAP (nearly 11juta). I’m shocked and told him I was told “reporting” not need any cost. He asked me where is the letter show I don’t need to pay! 🤬

The difference between KITAP lifetime vs extension is that:

-the extension is payable, reporting is not.
-the extension has to be approved by the local Immigration Office (KanIm), Regional Immigration Office (KanWil), and Directorate General of Immigration (DirJen Imigrasi), a 3-6 month process now. --Reporting, on the contrary, is done only in KanIm. A physical check and visit at the applicant's domicile by Immigration Office is usually done during the reporting process, and a new card is issued free of charge.

Hi, have you “report” yourself before the due date of Whole life KITAP? Mine due next year and I went to immigration to confirm documents and one of the officer told me the process and cost are just like the 5 years KITAP (nearly 11juta). I’m shocked and told him I was told “reporting” not need any cost. He asked me where is the letter show I don’t need to pay! 🤬
You should pay for KITAP twice, once for 5 year, and then again for lifetime KITAP. After you have that lifetime KITAP you are required to report to Imigrasi every 5 years and that process is free.

You get your first KITAP, 5 year, near expiration, you apply for your second KITAP, lifetime. Both times you do the necessary processing and payments. After you receive your 2nd KITAP you then report to Immigration every 5 years. No charge.
I recently went onto my lifetime KITAP. I was informed by Immigration that when it comes time to report I should do it a couple months prior to the reporting date. No charge or additiinal paperwork but at the same time they included, "unless their are changes" so a couple months just to be safe.

One asked the benefits if a lifetime KITAP. As Atlantis stated, over time it is a definate cost savings. If you no longer have to have the hassle and time to reapply and everything associated with that, there is a big savings in stress. Immigration people change and the one you spent time with building a repor will be gone the next time.

Benefits about still needing to renew KTP and SIM every 5 years has absolutely nothing to do with a KITAP. Do not expect Reginal Governments to change just because the Central Givernment did. If the Reginal Gov changed it would be 5 years before the offices even got the change and another 5 years before the office workers figured it out. As for a SIM, everyone gets 5 years. Even if you were born and raised here.

My understanding is that there still is a 5 year KITAP when renewing but it is available to only certain positiins in particular industries.

You should pay for KITAP twice, once for 5 year, and then again for lifetime KITAP. After you have that lifetime KITAP you are required to report to Imigrasi every 5 years and that process is free.
Yes, I’m holding the lifetime KITAP now after the first 5 years KITAP, I even have the letter of approval of my LIFETIME KITAP last 4 years ago. I showed the letter to the officer and he insisted the LIFETIME KITAP need extension (cost 11jt) and not only “reporting”. This is so confusing, so hoping can get a confirmation from anyone who have done the “reporting” procedures for LIFETIME KITAP.

The difference between KITAP lifetime vs extension is that:

-the extension is payable, reporting is not.
-the extension has to be approved by the local Immigration Office (KanIm), Regional Immigration Office (KanWil), and Directorate General of Immigration (DirJen Imigrasi), a 3-6 month process now. --Reporting, on the contrary, is done only in KanIm. A physical check and visit at the applicant's domicile by Immigration Office is usually done during the reporting process, and a new card is issued free of charge.
9F9DBAE8-7A35-4F19-92B9-B855DE117D8C.jpeg

Hi, thanks for your clarification. So, do you mean that the LIFETIME KITAP I’m holding now only need “reporting” before the reporting expired date

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back