KITAP ex-Indonesian proof of lost citizenship

dannyboy

Hello all,

I am currently an ex-WNI hoping to get my KITAP (through ex Indonesian KITAS) later this year after I move to Indonesia with my wife. I've been in conversations with few agents in Indonesia asking for their advice regarding the procedures for such an application.

Because I am an ex-WNI, I was informed by them that I need to get a 'surat keterangan pelepasan WNI' as the requirement by the Disduk (dinas kependudukan) for me in getting the SKTT and KTP-OA. This is to make sure my NIK (residency number) can be removed from their system (I used to have a KTP in Indo). However, the problem is, I don't know how to get such document! When I inquired to the embassy here (Australia), they said that they have no idea what document that is. All they could give me is a letter saying that my Indonesian passport had been surrendered because I am an Australian citizen. They then said, even if there is one, only the President of Indonesia has the authority to remove someone's NIK.

My question is: has anyone who applied for KITAP as an ex-Indonesian (index 318) ever been asked by the Dinas Kependudukan them for such document?

Thanks heaps,
Danny

Hi Danny, can't help you with the specifics on the KITAP/ex-WNI process. But I was just wondering; didn't you get a statement from the RI government when you got your foreign citizenship? It is a rather extensive procedure and the applicant normally is informed via the Ministry of the outcome. It looks like that's what they are asking for?

Hi Jstar,

Thanks for your input! The only 'legal' document I got from the consulate here is a 'surat Tanda penerimaan paspor', i.e. a declaration that my Indonesian passport is surrendered to them because I now hold foreign citizenship. From the the conversation I had with the staff in the consulate they said that is the most they can do (to take my passprort) since Indonesian Immigration Law states that anyone who hold another citizenship will automatically lose their Indonesian citizenship.

But I am just concerned that this 'document' wont get accepted by the disduk as the sign that I am no longer an Indonesian citizen.

Your embassy is confused. Probably the front desk secretary or telephone operator doesn't know the procedure. Try to see if you can find the Immigration attache or equivalent.

Issuing Surat Keterangan Pelepasan Kewarganegaraan Indonesia is the job of the local embassy, as instructed in UU no 24, 2006 Article 54. They are also responsible to report this fact to the Catatan Sipil office that oversees your KTP address.

Pencatatan Perubahan Status Kewarganegaraan dari Warga Negara Indonesia Menjadi Warga Negara Asing di luar Wilayah Republik Indonesia

Pasal 54

(1) Perubahan status kewarganegaraan dari Warga Negara Indonesia menjadi warga negara asing di luar wilayah Republik Indonesia yang telah mendapatkan persetujuan dari negara setempat wajib dilaporkan oleh Penduduk yang bersangkutan kepada Perwakilan Republik Indonesia.

(2) Perwakilan Republik Indonesia setempat sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) menerbitkan Surat Keterangan Pelepasan Kewarganegaraan Indonesia.

(3) Pelepasan kewarganegaraan Indonesia sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (2) diberitahukan oleh Perwakilan Republik Indonesia setempat kepada menteri yang berwenang menurut Peraturan Perundang-undangan untuk diteruskan kepada Instansi Pelaksana yang menerbitkan akta Pencatatan Sipil yang bersangkutan.

(4) Berdasarkan pemberitahuan sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (3), Pejabat Pencatatan Sipil membuat catatan pinggir pada register akta Pencatatan Sipil dan kutipan akta Pencatatan Sipil.

Your embassy is confused. Probably the front desk secretary or telephone operator doesn't know the procedure. Try to see if you can find the Immigration attache or equivalent.

Issuing Surat Keterangan Pelepasan Kewarganegaraan Indonesia is the job of the local embassy, as instructed in UU no 24, 2006 Article 54. They are also responsible to report this fact to the Catatan Sipil office that oversees your KTP address.

Pencatatan Perubahan Status Kewarganegaraan dari Warga Negara Indonesia Menjadi Warga Negara Asing di luar Wilayah Republik Indonesia

Pasal 54

(1) Perubahan status kewarganegaraan dari Warga Negara Indonesia menjadi warga negara asing di luar wilayah Republik Indonesia yang telah mendapatkan persetujuan dari negara setempat wajib dilaporkan oleh Penduduk yang bersangkutan kepada Perwakilan Republik Indonesia.

(2) Perwakilan Republik Indonesia setempat sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) menerbitkan Surat Keterangan Pelepasan Kewarganegaraan Indonesia.

(3) Pelepasan kewarganegaraan Indonesia sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (2) diberitahukan oleh Perwakilan Republik Indonesia setempat kepada menteri yang berwenang menurut Peraturan Perundang-undangan untuk diteruskan kepada Instansi Pelaksana yang menerbitkan akta Pencatatan Sipil yang bersangkutan.

(4) Berdasarkan pemberitahuan sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (3), Pejabat Pencatatan Sipil membuat catatan pinggir pada register akta Pencatatan Sipil dan kutipan akta Pencatatan Sipil.

Interesting, I will go to the local consulate to clarify this. Thanks for the info, now I've got something to talk about!

A bit of update from my side...
No luck, they still insist that they have no authority to issue that paper and don't know how to do it. I told them about the UU that you referred to and they said they have never processed anything like that before. They strictly said that the only paper they can issue (which they had done for me) is the passport release letter, which contains in writing that I am a citizen of another country. I asked about this from both my local consulate and the embassy, and they both said the same thing.

They suggest that I should go to Kementerian Hukum dan HAM in Jakarta to report my change of citizenship instead. Does anyone have further idea about what I should do?
I am about a month away from my departure to Indonesia (I've got my VITAS already) and I really don't want to come back here in the near future If I am told by the local Indonesian to get that paper overseas...

Mods I can share other ex-WNIs experience (which I think none require such proof of 'lost citizenship' letter). Problem is....it was in the old forum and it's over 11 pages long. I think the OP would benefit from reading the whole 11 before asking lots of questions (or maybe he'll ask more...?) What's the easiest to do this? I can't even log in to my old account...the only way for me to find that thread is through google.

In the meantime...this is a copy from the old thread five years ago...just to get you started. Many of the Ex-WNI (that I know of) was able to get their KITAP this way. Many had to get KITAS first though mostly a Sosbud KITAS and then convert it to KITAP. IF you have the patience and want to save some money, you can do it yourself when you do your KITAP. Some of the ex-WNIs were able to get it from around a couple months to four months (at cost less than 10 mill vs 40 mill quoted by agents).

I don't know what kind of visa you'll be on...but maybe you can enter Indonesia with Sosbud Visa first (any experts here please let me know if this is incorrect), if you're unsure how to do this...maybe find an agent to help you with this first...at least it'll buy you six months in the country...once you get here then you'll be able to figure out your next step....and not in a hurry as you are now.

The tricky part (if you're on the sosbud visa, you have to switch first from sosbud KITAS to ex-wni kitas (i don't remember it was over a few years ago) and then from the ex-WNI Kitas you can apply for the KITAP. This was what was shared by the officer at that time.

Steps for ex-WNI KITAP conversion

(1) Go to Kantor Imigrasi (various locations, but pick one most convenient to you.
Available address at http://www.imigrasi.go.id/index.php/...antor-imigrasi). Edited 2019: I think you pick the Kantor Imigrasi near where you live.

(a) Get the folder/forms (konversi ITAS ke ITAP) at the Toko Kooperasi and Loket Formulir ,
(b) Get the list of required documents at "Loket ITAS , ITAP ,..") .

(2) Submit the following:

A copy of KTP Sponsor
A copy of KK (Kartu Keluarga)
A copy of birth certificate (akte kelahiran)
Original Surat Sponsor (plus copy)
Original KITAS (plus copy)
Original Blue Book (plus copy)
Original Passport of your current (non-Indonesian) country (plus copy)
Original Surat Pernyataan Integritas

(3) Kantor Imigrasi suppose to give a receipt noting the acceptance of application and you might be asked to return in 7 days.
(4) Kantor Imigrasi will give you a recommendation to be sent to Kantor Wilayah (location..?)

( ) Go to Kantor Imigrasi to pay the KITAP fee Rp 3,055,000 and to have the photo/fingerprints taken . Also bring a few copies of 2x2 photo in case needed

Last edited:
Hi Banana72,

Thanks a lot for your help. I had a quick look through the old threads and I can't seem to find anyone mentioning it. It is my hope too that they won't ask for it! I have my Vitas 318 that I will convert to Kitas approved already, so I will have at least a year to figure it out.

However, as of the agent that I consulted with told me. The problem will not be with the immigration, but with the Disduk Capil that will release my SKTT. He said that because I am an ex Indonesian, when they process my SKTT they need to make sure that my NIK (Indonesian id number) is not active anymore. And this document is basically a legal proof that my NIK is not active anymore.

Of course, this is just a speculation based on the info that I got from this agent. I am not sure how true it is in practice...

In the meantime...this is a copy from the old thread five years ago...just to get you started. Many of the Ex-WNI (that I know of) was able to get their KITAP this way. Many had to get KITAS first though mostly a Sosbud KITAS and then convert it to KITAP. IF you have the patience and want to save some money, you can do it yourself when you do your KITAP. Some of the ex-WNIs were able to get it from around a couple months to four months (at cost less than 10 mill vs 40 mill quoted by agents).

I don't know what kind of visa you'll be on...but maybe you can enter Indonesia with Sosbud Visa first (any experts here please let me know if this is incorrect), if you're unsure how to do this...maybe find an agent to help you with this first...at least it'll buy you six months in the country...once you get here then you'll be able to figure out your next step....and not in a hurry as you are now.

The tricky part (if you're on the sosbud visa, you have to switch first from sosbud KITAS to ex-wni kitas (i don't remember it was over a few years ago) and then from the ex-WNI Kitas you can apply for the KITAP. This was what was shared by the officer at that time.

Steps for ex-WNI KITAP conversion

(1) Go to Kantor Imigrasi (various locations, but pick one most convenient to you.
Available address at http://www.imigrasi.go.id/index.php/...antor-imigrasi). Edited 2019: I think you pick the Kantor Imigrasi near where you live.

(a) Get the folder/forms (konversi ITAS ke ITAP) at the Toko Kooperasi and Loket Formulir ,
(b) Get the list of required documents at "Loket ITAS , ITAP ,..") .

(2) Submit the following:

A copy of KTP Sponsor
A copy of KK (Kartu Keluarga)
A copy of birth certificate (akte kelahiran)
Original Surat Sponsor (plus copy)
Original KITAS (plus copy)
Original Blue Book (plus copy)
Original Passport of your current (non-Indonesian) country (plus copy)
Original Surat Pernyataan Integritas

(3) Kantor Imigrasi suppose to give a receipt noting the acceptance of application and you might be asked to return in 7 days.
(4) Kantor Imigrasi will give you a recommendation to be sent to Kantor Wilayah (location..?)

( ) Go to Kantor Imigrasi to pay the KITAP fee Rp 3,055,000 and to have the photo/fingerprints taken . Also bring a few copies of 2x2 photo in case needed

....other ex-WNIs experience (which I think none require such proof of 'lost citizenship' letter).

But Banana, what happened with you and your family members at the time? The official process of abandoning one's citizenship is described quite well and they definitely mention official communications from the Ministry to the citizen the moment it is approved?! Or is this one of those examples where things are arranged (i.e. passport confiscated) the moment they see someone has applied for another citizenship? That would counter a bit the rather well known case of the minister who got caught at the time when he planned to go for dual citizenship (I forgot his name).

Mods I can share other ex-WNIs experience (which I think none require such proof of 'lost citizenship' letter). Problem is....it was in the old forum and it's over 11 pages long. I think the OP would benefit from reading the whole 11 before asking lots of questions (or maybe he'll ask more...?) What's the easiest to do this? I can't even log in to my old account...the only way for me to find that thread is through google.

If Google can find it, you can just link it here in our forum. There is no restriction here to linking to the old forum (like they have over there to linking here....lol).

But Banana, what happened with you and your family members at the time? The official process of abandoning one's citizenship is described quite well and they definitely mention official communications from the Ministry to the citizen the moment it is approved?! Or is this one of those examples where things are arranged (i.e. passport confiscated) the moment they see someone has applied for another citizenship? That would counter a bit the rather well known case of the minister who got caught at the time when he planned to go for dual citizenship (I forgot his name).

I was by myself overseas when I applied for my (then Indonesian) passport extension. Called the embassy and after being ping ponged at least three months they finally told me...one of (a couple) reasons I have lost my citizenship was because I failed to report to the consulate every five years (I only reported 'lapor diri' once). I didn't know that one can automatically lost the citizenship because of failure to report to the consulate. Heck...the officer even told me...when he read my application, he thought that I had a house, a job..etc...he even advised me to just stay in the US...and have a nice life there! btw I didn't get my passport back (I applied the extension when I still had my greencard not a citizen yet).

I'm curious btw Danny....how much was the fee the agent quoted you for the ex-WNI KITAP?

I'm curious btw Danny....how much was the fee the agent quoted you for the ex-WNI KITAP?

About 10jt for KITAS and 30jt for KITAP (incl MERP, etc).
So, Banana72, no one ever asked you for that 'surat keterangan pelepasan WNI'? what sort of document did you use to proof that you really relinquish your citizenship? or was it just assumed that because you held the other citizenship, the Indonesian one is lost automatically?

About 10jt for KITAS and 30jt for KITAP (incl MERP, etc).
So, Banana72, no one ever asked you for that 'surat keterangan pelepasan WNI'? what sort of document did you use to proof that you really relinquish your citizenship? or was it just assumed that because you held the other citizenship, the Indonesian one is lost automatically?
Nope...nobody ever asked me about keterangan pelepasan wni and i think same with other ex wnis. I basically just follow the requirements as posted in the old forum...form for kitap application, copy of passport, etc. In our cases it was assumed that we're in Indonesia using KITAS, quite likely we're not Indonesian citizen anymore..although there are some who have two passports (you're not supposed to btw....entering indo with indo pasport while also holding another citizenship). btw Your 10jt for KITAS is a bit pricey (maybe you can negotiate a bit..or maybe it's inflation...but 30jt for KITAP seems to have come down from previous prices maybe the agents know that the previous price is too high....just double check with them what else you'll be getting...since MERP is mandatory when applying for KITAP at least in my experience. Maybe at least a KTP OA).

Nope...nobody ever asked me about keterangan pelepasan wni and i think same with other ex wnis. I basically just follow the requirements as posted in the old forum...form for kitap application, copy of passport, etc. In our cases it was assumed that we're in Indonesia using KITAS, quite likely we're not Indonesian citizen anymore..although there are some who have two passports (you're not supposed to btw....entering indo with indo pasport while also holding another citizenship). btw Your 10jt for KITAS is a bit pricey (maybe you can negotiate a bit..or maybe it's inflation...but 30jt for KITAP seems to have come down from previous prices maybe the agents know that the previous price is too high....just double check with them what else you'll be getting...since MERP is mandatory when applying for KITAP at least in my experience. Maybe at least a KTP OA).

Yeah, fingers crossed. I'd hope that the disduk capil won't make things more difficult for me to get the SKTT/KTP-OA. I was told by my agent that because it is e-ktp now, it is now a standard procedure for them to check every ex Indonesian whether their NIK is still active or not, before they issue SKTT/KTP-OA. In my case, it is still active the last time I checked, which makes sense because there is hasn't been any official communication between the embassy and Indonesia.

I've made an inquiry to a law firm in Indonesia whether it is possible to get such letter in Indonesia instead.

@Banana72: I was reading your old thread regarding IMTA and KITAP ex Indo. Has there been any official stance on this matter?

Thanks a lot!

I have not checked any latest info re: IMTA. But when I applied for my KITAP the officer at the office (dont remember which office it's the one in Kuningan) told me that my status was changed from foreign worker to anak ikut org tua wni...and IMTA applies only to foreign workers (quite a few lengty disscussion about non TKA like WNA married to indo, WNA working as freelancers, WNA helping family businesses, etc..)and I didnt want to rock the boat by asking too many/further questions. Are any other ex wni here please jump in and share your experience).

Last edited:
I'd hope that the disduk capil won't make things more difficult for me to get the SKTT/KTP-OA

Well, the Catatan Sipil (Dinas Kependudukan dan Catatan Sipil) can be very 'inventive' and screw things up as well.

Just read what @fastpitch17 encountered when he moved and his experience with SKTT/KTP OA.

Another one; my brother in law, a WNI, lost his KTP which was still on Jakarta. So then he went to the CatSip in northern Sulawesi, they found nothing better than giving him a new KTP with a new NIK! Obviously big issue then in Jakarta "NiK is written in stone" and both location offices started blaming each other. Of course at the end the new KTP+NIK was erased.

Yeah, that is what I am worried about too. I guess there is only one way to find out, which I will have to in a couple of months.
I am sponsored by my wife which reside in Jakarta Pusat, I hope the regional CatSip there won't be too troublesome.

theoretically, If I want to convert my KITAS to KITAP straight away as an ex-Indonesian, do I need to first get an SKTT for my KITAS? It will be great if I don't have to go to CatSip twice to get an SKTT and then another one for KTP-OA?

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TopTalent