Indonesian nurses & caregivers as expats in Europe

And actually in it's not 'es teh' ... but 'teh es' if you want 'a lot of tea with ice' šŸ¤£
In Indonesian the word order is noun-adjective and it just caught my attention that "es teh" (also es kopi, es teler, es doger, es campur & their friends) doesn't follow this rule :unsure:. I said to my husband "... but warm tea is teh hangat", and he said it's confusing :ROFLMAO:.

he said it's confusing
"Es teh" and "teh hangat" confusing? Well, he will be "pusing" when he wants to live in Indonesia with all the visa/kitas/kitap/kk-rules and paperwork. And that is only the first hurdle.

"Es teh" and "teh hangat" confusing? Well, he will be "pusing" when he wants to live in Indonesia with all the visa/kitas/kitap/kk-rules and paperwork. And that is only the first hurdle.
Haha, just because I said it's noun first, followed by adjective. He is quite good in learning new language, much better than I am. Just need to practice more. Headache about paperworks will be mine, not really his :ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:
Haha, just because I said it's noun first, followed by adjective. He is quite good with learning new language, much better than I am. Just need to practice more. Headache about paperworks will be mine, not really his :ROFLMAO:.
These words he doesn't need to learn by heart...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231225_194311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231225_194311_Gallery.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 20
Any internship is exploitation - unpaid free labour under the pretence of training?

Not recent news but related to this topic

https://news.detik.com/bbc-world/d-...i-korban-eksploitasi-berdalih-magang-di-eropa Testimony of Indonesian Students Becoming Victims of Exploitation on the Pretext of Internships in Europe.

As usual, there has been a huge miscommunication about all this.

It was not a traineeship at all, it was a FERIENjob. Which is vacation work.

It has nothing to do with your studies or with developing certain skills. During my vacations when I was a poor student, I used to work in glass houses picking tomatoes and cucumbers. And -as these Indonesian students- I got paid for that hard labor work which started at 6 AM.

Now these ā€˜workā€™ programs donā€™t make you rich. Of course you need to pay for living accommodations, And yes, youā€™re probably tired after work. If you donā€™t know what you sign up for, Google and translate the contracts.

As usual, there has been a huge miscommunication about all this.

It was not a traineeship at all, it was a FERIENjob. Which is vacation work.

It has nothing to do with your studies or with developing certain skills. During my vacations when I was a poor student, I used to work in glass houses picking tomatoes and cucumbers. And -as these Indonesian students- I got paid for that hard labor work which started at 6 AM.

Now these ā€˜workā€™ programs donā€™t make you rich. Of course you need to pay for living accommodations, And yes, youā€™re probably tired after work. If you donā€™t know what you sign up for, Google and translate the contracts.
To some extent, I agree with your viewpoint. I won't discount the possibility that some of these individuals are well-informed about the work and its limitations but exaggerate their circumstances to garner sympathy or attention.

However, typically a significant portion, if not the vast majority, of these individuals have little to no experience with international travel or working abroad and recruited by agents. They may not be acquainted with workplace terminology such as seasonal job, permit, internship, apprenticeship, etc

In the past, I have shared information about seasonal workers, like fruit pickers from Indonesia, who are only needed for that particular season for a specific period. The permit will only allow them to work in that season and duration. Therefore they will have to return to Indonesia thereafter. Many of them are not aware that they can not simply change jobs, employers. Many of these workers are recruited by agents primarily interested in collecting fees. These agents may intentionally withhold information or downplay factors that could dissuade potential workers.

Last edited:
You mean like an "au-pair" ?
au-pair is different. It is seasonal fruit pickers like this:

There's many information available on this topic, not only concerning the UK but also countries like Australia. Local residents often opt out of farm work or seasonal jobs, preferring activities such as play video game,watching TV. Thanks to generous social welfare / benefit programs.

Last edited:
This is an interesting topic, I am curious about. Where I stay, there were several young girls, that were in so-called training for three months here without pay, as so called Nurses in training! Recruited from a Japanese college or university, school or something like that, with a promise of work in Japan when finished here. From what I saw, they really didn't learn anything here, about Nursing, English, or Japanese language, or anything except how to bring breakfast, and maybe check blood pressure.
As far as I know, they worked here for free, had to pay for the flight to Japan, housing, food, expenses, Etc. From what I saw, they were not prepared for anything outside of Bali. They were very excited to go, but I couldn't help to wonder, what really were they going to do in Japan?
They were very Naive , and not professional at Nursing! So I wonder what really, are they going to do there? How could they manage without knowing English, or Japanese language! If someone out there knows about this, please tell us what they, are going to do there? Do they take care of elderly patients, are they paid, or is this a ruse for prostitution?

This is an interesting topic, I am curious about. Where I stay, there were several young girls, that were in so-called training for three months here without pay, as so called Nurses in training! Recruited from a Japanese college or university, school or something like that, with a promise of work in Japan when finished here. From what I saw, they really didn't learn anything here, about Nursing, English, or Japanese language, or anything except how to bring breakfast, and maybe check blood pressure.
As far as I know, they worked here for free, had to pay for the flight to Japan, housing, food, expenses, Etc. From what I saw, they were not prepared for anything outside of Bali. They were very excited to go, but I couldn't help to wonder, what really were they going to do in Japan?
They were very Naive , and not professional at Nursing! So I wonder what really, are they going to do there? How could they manage without knowing English, or Japanese language! If someone out there knows about this, please tell us what they, are going to do there? Do they take care of elderly patients, are they paid, or is this a ruse for prostitution?
You will find both cases but it leans more to negative experience. The same thing to what used to be the case for domestic helper. The fact that they are young girls make them more vulnerable. But there are also serious program such as in Germany organised by official German representative, DAAD, German Academic Exchange Service like this. Typically the program like this is not easy to enrol.

Last edited:
You will find both cases but it leans more to negative experience. The same thing to what used to be the case for domestic helper. The fact that they are young girls make them more vulnerable. But there are also serious program such as in Germany organised by official German representative, DAAD, German Academic Exchange Service like this
This is an interesting topic! I as curious about the girls here going to Japan! Does anyone have any knowledge, about this Japanese University, here in Bali, and their program of students doing basic training here, and then on to work in Japan?

This is an interesting topic! I as curious about the girls here going to Japan! Does anyone have any knowledge, about this Japanese University, here in Bali, and their program of students doing basic training here, and then on to work in Japan?

See here for instance:

In order to increase the utilization of Indonesian Health Workers (TKKI) abroad, especially returning nurses to Japan, the Health Human Resources Development and Empowerment Agency (BPPSDM) has implemented a Government to Private (G to P) collaboration with the Fukuoka Perfecture Medical Association (FPMA ) Japan and the MoU Re-Challenge Returnee EPA Program was signed on February 18 2019 in Fukuoka Prefecture.

Head of BPPSDM drg. Usman Sumantri, MSc said that until 2018 there were still 653 nurses as Japanese nurse candidates for 3 years through the Indonesia ā€“ Japan Economic Partnership Agreement (IJEPA) framework. During the contract period, nurse candidates are given the opportunity to take the Japanese National Nursing Examination (Kangoshi) 3 times.

However, until now the number of nurses who have passed the Kangoshi exam is still very low, so they cannot continue their work and have to return to Indonesia after the contract period ends.

"FPMA offers cooperation to provide returning EPA nurses with the opportunity to work again in Japan, namely in Fukuoka Prefecture. Participants will be given training to strengthen the Kangoshi exam first in Indonesia for 1-3 months and will be facilitated to take the national level exam in Japan as a Registered Nurse and the local level exam as a Nursing Assistant in Japan (Licensed Assistant Nurse). "More than 70% of people who have participated in this program will pass," said Drg. Usman, Friday (22/2) in Jakarta.

In this MoU, FPMA will carry out training to strengthen and place nursing staff who have passed the exam in hospitals and clinics under FPMA. For nurses who have only passed the Licensed Assistant Nurse, while working in Fukuoka Japan they will be facilitated to increase their capacity so they can pass the national exam, while BPPSDM prepares returnee staff who will take part in the program.

"Currently FPMA oversees around 450 hospitals and 4,000 clinics in the Fukuoka Prefecture area and we visited the clinics and met our nurses and they seemed quite prosperous," said Drg. Usman.

Considering the very high need for nurses in Japan, including in Fukuoka Prefecture, the FPMA is considering supporting preparations for the placement of nurses to Japan, one of which is through assistance with the Japanese language education process in international classes which will be held in the Ministry of Health's Health Polytechnic environment.

Apart from that, through this opportunity the PPSDMK Agency also invited the Japanese to invest in building homes for the elderly in Indonesia, especially on the islands of Bali and Bintan. It is hoped that this elderly home can become a new destination for elderly care for Japanese citizens by empowering Indonesian nurses and careworkers after placement in Japan.

This news was broadcast by the Communications and Public Services Bureau, Indonesian Ministry of Health. For further information, please contact Halo Kemkes via hotline number 1500-567, SMS 081281562620, fax (021) 5223002, 52921669, and email address [email protected]. (D2)

Head of the Communications and Community Services Bureau

Apart from that, through this opportunity the PPSDMK Agency also invited the Japanese to invest in building homes for the elderly in Indonesia, especially on the islands of Bali and Bintan. It is hoped that this elderly home can become a new destination for elderly care for Japanese citizens by empowering Indonesian nurses and careworkers after placement in Japan.
This has got to be VITAS leading to ITAS/ITAP I am not aware any visa provision currently available for this. But I fully believe there are many people want to do this if they charge the rate similar to Japan while paying their nurses Indonesian Salary, with Indonesian Facilities, under Indonesian watchdog, regulator. All they need is concession, Easy job, easy money

Last edited:

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member