Indonesia to cut import duty exemption to $3 ??

Pos in Surabaya states it will take effect the 30th of January.

Hi I purchased 3pcs clothes online which arrived at Jakarta on 24 Jan and cleared from custom on 28 Jan. This new tax regulation was effective on 30 Jan but my goods were taxed almost 50% of the value which they calculate as (goods value + shipping fee +insurance). According to them, they charged tax based on expedition date not the date of the goods arrived in Indonesia😤 It took 14 days for them to calculate tax after the goods were actually imported to Indonesia.

Attachments

• 20200212_125834.jpg
    20200212_125834.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 314
I notice this week when looking at some shoes on lazada that used to be about 500rb that now when you check out it adds another 300rb or so on top for pajak (they come from China)
Suddenly lazada not so cheap. Basket emptied. Played shopping on happyfresh instead

Hi I purchased 3pcs clothes online which arrived at Jakarta on 24 Jan and cleared from custom on 28 Jan. This new tax regulation was effective on 30 Jan but my goods were taxed almost 50% of the value which they calculate as (goods value + shipping fee +insurance). According to them, they charged tax based on expedition date not the date of the goods arrived in Indonesia😤 It took 14 days for them to calculate tax after the goods were actually imported to Indonesia.
What was the declared value of the goods + shipping ?

I received this month 2 shipments from China without any issue.

What was the declared value of the goods + shipping ?

I received this month 2 shipments from China without any issue.

Hi Balifrog,
Higher taxes are for clothing, bags and shoes and no tax on such as books.
The value written on the package was $25, no shipping fee because it was included in the price. Somehow they generated shipping fee and calculated as below.
CIF $25@Rp13,699=Rp342,475
Bae Masuk 25% from Rp342,475 = Rp86,000
PPN 10% from Rp428,475 (Inc shipping fee)=Rp43,000
PPH22 15% from Rp428,475 (Inc shipping fee) = Rp65,000
Bae pelalubeaan Rp10,000
So I ended up paying additional Rp204,000 for $25 purchase 😩
I'm upset because the goods arrived in Indonesia on 24 January before it started but I got charged due to their super slow process of 14 days 😤

I don't get it.. New tax regulations are only applicable AFTER 30 Jan, you are surprised that you are still charged according to the old regulation for your package that arrived on the 24th of Jan?

I don't get it.. New tax regulations are only applicable AFTER 30 Jan, you are surprised that you are still charged according to the old regulation for your package that arrived on the 24th of Jan?
If it's my country, import tax would be charged based on the date of import. But here.. They kept my goods for 14 days till 6 February and charged 50% based on tle new regulations after it was effective. If they process it straight away on 24January, I didn't have to pay tax since it was under $75.

If it's my country, import tax would be charged based on the date of import. But here.. They kept my goods for 14 days till 6 February and charged 50% based on tle new regulations after it was effective. If they process it straight away on 24January, I didn't have to pay tax since it was under $75.
Make sure you get a receipt; they could easily charge you the 50% and then report it as tax-free from 24 January.

Ah, got it, thanks.

Not the way to operate but not surprising either.

Currently big delays btw. Also for clearance of containers contents in Tanjung Priok.

Make sure you get a receipt; they could easily charge you the 50% and then report it as tax-free from 24 January.

Thank you for your advice. I've already contacted custom and hotline but they clearly told me it's based on the expedition date not the arrival date. Surprisingly tax was calculated in Bali not in Jakarta. If I live in Jakarta, I might have got away from tax but it took 14 days after the custom clearance in Jakarta to arrive in Bali. Then they calculated the tax in Bali.

This is frustrating, 50% of tax for clothing is way too high.
I have a parcel from HK on held and may not purchase online anymore.

I bought some yoga pant from lululemon for around $70, and DHL asked me to pay IDR 730.000 for the duty & tax :(

Did I understand it correctly that the customs duty only comes into effect if you buy from a seller but not if the package is sent privately as a present?

It is definitely applied to private packages sent from abroad.

Also I used to get post from abroad within 4 weeks, now it takes 8-12 weeks, apparently the reason is that post is often sent on passenger planes, most of which have been cancelled.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back