Indonesia & Corruption: a few articles in the past few weeks

See thread post #28

Last edited:
Good to know ...

Everybody does "tax.optimization" ....

Hell, even the Queen of England had offshore accounts !

The US has 3 states who are fiscal paradises, DELAWARE being the most famous one.

Everybody does "tax.optimization" ....

Hell, even the Queen of England had offshore accounts !
Not everybody .. only the rich and famous. That's around 1 - 5 % of the people. The rest pays tax.
This thread is about blaming and shaming some people, while there is a 'elephant' in the room.
😕

Not everybody .. only the rich and famous. That's around 1 - 5 % of the people. The rest pays tax.
This thread is about blaming and shaming some people, while there is a 'elephant' in the room.
😕
I don't blame anybody. If I was a millionaire I would probably have a financial adviser in an offshore paradise to "optimize" my tax situation....

Whether the food is excellent is a matter of taste of course. But you have to acknowledge the fact the dishes are often deep fried, is for a reason. Also, using old black oil and keeping the food in the heat during the day is not ideal.

The food may be very very tasty as with KFC and McDonalds but excellent is a misnomer if you have any regard for health. Already Indonesia is showing the effects of all these KFC style fried chickens coming home to roost along with all the other deep fried, toxic but tasty foods.\
1713586831971.png

You don't know what you're missing. The export manager of a large printer in Solo used to take me to eat in small warungs and the food was excellent.
Well, I drop by twice a week in a rather popular local warung to buy fried sardines and rice for my cats.
I see the food on display in the heat, the preparation, and that's before speaking about the smell.....
Popular maybe, "excellent" certainly not !

And yep, I regulary see bules eating in there..... Not sure if they are.on a tight budget or want to show that they are "integrated".....
And the real hardcore ones eat with their hands ....🙄🙄🙄🙄

Well, I drop by twice a week in a rather popular local warung to buy fried sardines and rice for my cats.
I see the food on display in the heat, the preparation, and that's before speaking about the smell.....
Popular maybe, "excellent" certainly not !

And yep, I regulary see bules eating in there..... Not sure if they are.on a tight budget or want to show that they are "integrated".....
And the real hardcore ones eat with their hands ....🙄🙄🙄🙄
When your cat eats this food, does it eat with the right hand only? Meow!

I understand that while our discussion initially centred around corruption, there's been a notable shift towards discussing coffee, particularly the steep prices of Starbucks coffee compared to local options like "Kopi Tiam" in Indonesia. While Starbucks may seem pricey locally, its costs aren't unusually high when compared to similar offerings for international travellers, especially in developed nations. However, I fully agree that in many cases, particularly in Indonesia, vendors, contractors, and individuals tend to emphasize the positives to justify their high prices when it suits them, while ignoring other factors such as local wages, the abundant of local commodities like coffee beans, cocoa, and cane sugar. This pattern is also evident in accommodation pricing in Indonesia, where rates are sometimes set similarly to those in other countries. Similarly, to worldwide taxation on income not earned in Indonesia while offering next to none social security benefit. Also recent case of Minister Zulkili Hasab's stance on justifying customs duties and permissible items for personal importation into Indonesia to justify his fail policy reflects this trend.

I am not suggesting that Starbucks necessarily produces better coffee than local shops; indeed, some individuals believe their own cappuccino machines brew superior coffee over the long term than SB. However, it's surprising that there are still individuals willing to pay £265 or Rp5.35 million for a cup of coffee.
Also some people want to pay more for the coffee bean which are mixed with elephant dung such as Black Ivory. In Indonesia some people also want to try "Kopi Luwa" which shares some similarities in terms of its rarity and unique production method to Black Ivory, paying a premium price.

Last edited:
Surely there must be something that can be fed to Komodo dragons which, when it comes out the other end, can be processed and sold at incredibly high prices as a delicacy or wrinkle remover. Possibly a huge market in China where the use of exotic species to prolong life, increase vitality sees all kinds of creatures being misused.
1714269937069.png

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tehtelor