I think the entire lead up is barbaric

fastpitch17

Charter Member
Cager
Otherside of the wall seperating our Gangs is a Majeet. This morning they lead and tied up a cow and 2 goats. The animals have been making a lot of noise and I believe it is because they were left with no water or food while in the sun durring this rather hot day. They were being watched over by a couple of guys with their coffees and cakes. While the animals were indicating they were in stress along come some kids in their early to mid teens. These kind hearted teens decided this was a great time to throw rocks at the animals and charge them back and forth. I guess this is the taught way to quiet stressed animals. The animal sitters just sipped their coffee and continued their conversation which had to be much more important than any animal.

Is this the norm on how sacrificial animals are treated? This is the first time I have been this close to the going ons and frankly I am tempted to go there myself and confront this type of behavior. My wife suggested we go there later and cut them lose since their treatment has been a punishment before sacrifice. They have sacrificed enough.

We are in the lock down and with parking animals there I expect there will be a crowd there tomorrow. All against the regulations but hey, who listens to those things when sone free meat may be available?

They should just go to human sacrafice. Prerequisite being they start with stupid people who don't follow the rules and those that abuse defenseless animals.

The locals bought a white buffalo for 14 million & kept it where I was renting, poor thing was tied up & had ticks & flies all over it. I would pet it like a huge dog, then they had the ceremony & cut its head off so that God would have somewhere to stand when he descended to earth. In the end what was left was thrown in the river.

Last edited:
It’s not the norm. However, in a country where many people treat other people like crap, I’m not surprised that animals are treated worse.

I am hearing fireworks or something like that being fired so I am guessing PSBB is going to be suspended for a few days. If that is the case, I want the pub open next week for my birthday.

Reactions: LRB
You know that as children a lot of serial killers tortured animals, right? I agree with @snpark. Don't go over there. These people aren't playing with a full deck.
If I'd be sure these animals were in distress, I'd walk over to the ones guarding them and ask for permission to water the animals. If they agree (and they probably will) bring a bucket and let them drink.
As for the kids, I'd kindly remind them that if they would be the ones tied up like the cattle in front of them, they'd appreciate it if nobody was throwing rocks at them. If they don't listen, have a talk to Rt/Rw or the imam.
Of course this very much depends on how your relationship is with the locals.

If I'd be sure these animals were in distress, I'd walk over to the ones guarding them and ask for permission to water the animals. If they agree (and they probably will) bring a bucket and let them drink.
As for the kids, I'd kindly remind them that if they would be the ones tied up like the cattle in front of them, they'd appreciate it if nobody was throwing rocks at them. If they don't listen, have a talk to Rt/Rw or the imam.
Of course this very much depends on how your relationship is with the locals.
Cognitive empathy, or the ability to see from a different perspective doesn't fully develop until a child is 13 - 15 years old. Then there are the unwritten rules of society. The former is brain development, and the latter is taught, or emulated.

Sure, you can hope to plant a seed by setting an example, or articulate how to behave, but if their environment goes against this lesson, it's just a matter of time until they go right back to what they know.

We are fundamentally in agreement that the humane treatment of animals can be taught, but your method would be but a drop of oil in a vast sea of cruelty towards them.

It is just amazing to me that people are willing to bring great suffering to an animal to feed their own vanity. I say suffering because someone mentioned above about heads being removed. If that is the case they must wait until every bit of life is taken from the animal. I had to listen as 2 cows were slit open and slowly bleed to death while their sounds became less and less and the sounds were not happy ones. Then came the goats with the same.

I guess I understand that goats have a sacrificial history but where the hell did this cow sacrifice come from? All I can figure is it probably started with some Indonesian and their forever image seeking selfs who just decided, I can do more than they can and then it took off.

Isn't this day supposed to be the day of sacrifice? The importance being that a sacrifice was made. What would be wrong with chickens and fish? The importance is in the sacrifice. Now, if I venture outside I hear the chopping. They don't even own a saw I guess. They are working on a piece of plastic on the ground and the assholes decided the best way to drain the blood is to cut a hole in the wall along our road so it drains into our drainage. I have to wonder how many people dies or get very sick due to the practices of the butchering mob. I say mob because between teens and adults there looks to be around 25 people there.

Nobody else around so I sprayed the grass and weeds along the drainage run. When someone ask why everything is turning brown I will just tell them, Gee, I don't know. It started just when they were killing the animals and draining the blood into the drainage. Hope it's not a bad omen. Give them something to think about since so many are so superstitious.

It is just amazing to me that people are willing to bring great suffering to an animal to feed their own vanity. I say suffering because someone mentioned above about heads being removed. If that is the case they must wait until every bit of life is taken from the animal. I had to listen as 2 cows were slit open and slowly bleed to death while their sounds became less and less and the sounds were not happy ones. Then came the goats with the same.

I guess I understand that goats have a sacrificial history but where the hell did this cow sacrifice come from? All I can figure is it probably started with some Indonesian and their forever image seeking selfs who just decided, I can do more than they can and then it took off.

Isn't this day supposed to be the day of sacrifice? The importance being that a sacrifice was made. What would be wrong with chickens and fish? The importance is in the sacrifice. Now, if I venture outside I hear the chopping. They don't even own a saw I guess. They are working on a piece of plastic on the ground and the assholes decided the best way to drain the blood is to cut a hole in the wall along our road so it drains into our drainage. I have to wonder how many people dies or get very sick due to the practices of the butchering mob. I say mob because between teens and adults there looks to be around 25 people there.

Nobody else around so I sprayed the grass and weeds along the drainage run. When someone ask why everything is turning brown I will just tell them, Gee, I don't know. It started just when they were killing the animals and draining the blood into the drainage. Hope it's not a bad omen. Give them something to think about since so many are so superstitious.

Can I ask why suddenly this year it's a problem? I mean you've been here for years right? You must have seen it before? Or been aware?

Do they come and hassle you on Thanksgiving and moan about how your Turkey was killed? Or because that was done off-site it's out of site out of mind.

I can assure you that slitting the animals throat / jugular and it's brain stem is almost instantaneous death and they don't bleed to death and any reaction like legs still kicking is just the muscles. The same way if you cut off a snake (or chickens) head they keep moving around. In fact chickens can run around for hours with no head, hence the phrase.

I understand it looks and sounds graphic and it's at the end of your path but it is once a year (ok twice max) but it's a festival and this is a predominantly Muslim country.

Just one of those things that you get used to. It doesn't bother me and where I used to live they would often ask me to participate thinking I would be squeamish but I was very nonchalant and honoured to be part of it.

Just my opinion of course. But humans eat meat. We kill animals. It's not pretty. There's blood. But it is almost instantaneous the way it's done. Halal. Yes looks worse on a plastic sheet in the street but that's a poverty issue.

The end.

Mocking Muslim religious customs, calling them barbaric, while living among them, is not very nice.
As Indonesians say, if you don't like it, can leave anytime.

If complaining about mosque loudspeakers puts you in jail, I hate to think what complaining about killing goats on idul adha will result in.
They did it in front of our house one year and since then I make sure to be somewhere else when it happens.

If complaining about mosque loudspeakers puts you in jail, I hate to think what complaining about killing goats on idul adha will result in.
They did it in front of our house one year and since then I make sure to be somewhere else when it happens.

How did that work? They just showed up and decided in front of your house was a good idea to do the sacrifice that year?

Can I ask why suddenly this year it's a problem? I mean you've been here for years right? You must have seen it before? Or been aware?

Do they come and hassle you on Thanksgiving and moan about how your Turkey was killed? Or because that was done off-site it's out of site out of mind.

I can assure you that slitting the animals throat / jugular and it's brain stem is almost instantaneous death and they don't bleed to death and any reaction like legs still kicking is just the muscles. The same way if you cut off a snake (or chickens) head they keep moving around. In fact chickens can run around for hours with no head, hence the phrase.

I understand it looks and sounds graphic and it's at the end of your path but it is once a year (ok twice max) but it's a festival and this is a predominantly Muslim country.

Just one of those things that you get used to. It doesn't bother me and where I used to live they would often ask me to participate thinking I would be squeamish but I was very nonchalant and honoured to be part of it.

Just my opinion of course. But humans eat meat. We kill animals. It's not pretty. There's blood. But it is almost instantaneous the way it's done. Halal. Yes looks worse on a plastic sheet in the street but that's a poverty issue.

The end.
Slitting the throat normally doesn't lead to over a minute of cows still bleating. Maybe they needed a sharper knife. I have to admit that none of them ran around but then again, no heads were cut off. Hey, maybe if they did that we could have a good show.

We moved. Previously it was always done out of sight and earshot of all of us in our housing complexes. If someone wanted to attend, they were all invited. Every year they would come and offer us a bag of meat. We always thanked them but asked that they take and give it to a familily with more needs. How about you?

Unsanitary? That's an understatement.

We never eat turkey here. Sorry, never was much of a turkey lover.

Lucky not such stuff here in Bali. In the Java village it's another story.....

I've only ever assisted on the goats. They go down pretty quick.

Now a 1 ton bull a la Jokowi? I'd imagine that f**ker kicking about a bit
Plenty of blood and entrails there for sure
Chickens can be messy because they usually just pull the head off and let the kids chase it round the gang as it's spurts blood everywhere

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back