I love their logic!

That's logical. Ask Atlantis, if buying gun is possible in Indonesia, he would have bought an arsenal to guard his bunker https://www.expatindo.org/community/threads/dont-panic-well-maybe-a-little-bit.5244/post-66991
I would not.
In fact, I have had to carry a gun and this is definitely not a feeling I have enjoyed. It was anything but fun and probably one of the factor which has convinced me to give up my activities in my native country, sell my shares in my former company and move permanently here, starting a very different business.
If you carry a gun you have to accept the idea that you may have to use it, with the consequences it may have. This is a tough decision to take. Even if guns were allowed I would prefer to rely on prevention such as high walls and gates, CCTV among other stuff.
Indonesia, in normal times, is a very safe country, much safer than most counties in the "West" and there is no need for guns here.

I use to carry a gun when I worked in dangerous areas in the US. I even had a gun pulled on me, while my then wife and daughter were in the vehicle. Instead of pulling my gun out, I used the vehicle as a shield, while I dialed 911.

I locked my guns up 15-20 years ago, as I honestly felt too safe while carrying. With kids in the house, it’s way too easy for bad things to happen. Burglars discovering the weapons and so forth.

When I was 6 or 7 years old (or maybe younger), I used a stool and took my father's pistol high on top of a cabinet and pointed it at my siblings playing on the floor while still standing there on that stool. Luckily, I was not strong enough to pull the trigger (if I did tried pulling it, cannot really remember) or it was locked or it was not loaded. Father didn't beat me but my mom did. That didn't stop me from liking firearms but I understand the huge responsibility having one.

Last edited:
Even if guns were allowed I would prefer to rely on prevention such as high walls and gates, CCTV among other stuff.
Indonesia, in normal times, is a very safe country, much safer than most counties in the "West" and there is no need for guns here.

In Indonesia, I rely on my dogs. They are our security which requires no salary and they work (and play) 24/7 without any complaints.

Canine room and board can be pricey; perhaps Dave's dogs subsist on raw burglar burgers.

Angelenos still remember the LA riot, when Asian Americans had to band together and defend their property from looters with guns. If you look at youtube videos of the people lining up to buy guns over there, the majority are Asians and other minorities.

Considering that Trump called COVID-19 the “China Virus”, they are right to be concerned.

I am not too concerned about rioters or neighborhood break ins here as I would be if still in the US. The gun culture there has just gotten way out if control.

I have increased security in the form of cameras. Not allowed to have a dog. Keep things locked up. Now, if we could just get a Satpam at the entrance 24/7 like we pay for. That has become the most frustrating thing and neighbors being the we don't complain about anything types are no help.

Trump administration is pushing to include the phrase “Wuhan Virus” in the joint G7 statement.

Asian Americans confront a COVID-19 backlash.

Yeah, you get the impression it's 1875 all over again.

Furthermore, the American Medical Association believed that Chinese immigrants "carried distinct germs to which they were immune, but from which whites would die if exposed". This fear became concentrated on Chinese women, because some white Americans believed that germs and disease could most easily be transmitted to white men through labor of Chinese prostitutes.

Last edited:
I am not too concerned about rioters or neighborhood break ins here as I would be if still in the US. The gun culture there has just gotten way out if control.

I have increased security in the form of cameras. Not allowed to have a dog. Keep things locked up. Now, if we could just get a Satpam at the entrance 24/7 like we pay for. That has become the most frustrating thing and neighbors being the we don't complain about anything types are no help.
Some Chinese-Indonesian wished they had guns in May of 1998 I'd bet? But that's just my guess.

Some Chinese-Indonesian wished they had guns in May of 1998 I'd bet? But that's just my guess.
I was there in May 98. Even though I’m not Chinese, I wished I had a real gun.

When there’s no rule of law, you have no option but to take the law into your own hands.

Raising dogs will be trendy again, just like aftermath of May 98.

Trump administration is pushing to include the phrase “Wuhan Virus” in the joint G7 statement.

Asian Americans confront a COVID-19 backlash.

I wonder if Trump check to find out if the Japanese internment camps are still functional.

I wonder if Trump check to find out if the Japanese internment camps are still functional.
Once he empties the detention centers for Central Americans and their children, they can be repurposed.

Pity those thousands of Central Americans who walked hundreds of miles from places like El Salvador and Honduras and are now languishing in squalor clinging to a hope they may be allowed to enter the US. All they need now is a Covid-19 visit.

Angelenos still remember the LA riot, when Asian Americans had to band together and defend their property from looters with guns. If you look at youtube videos of the people lining up to buy guns over there, the majority are Asians and other minorities.

Considering that Trump called COVID-19 the “China Virus”, they are right to be concerned.

Now that US has surged past China's number of cases, can we call it the US virus?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats