How do you guys invest?

Rupiah has hovered around $13K to $14K per USD for the past 5 years, with occasional spikes and dips.

I think if you’re keeping cash, IDR is a better choice. Deposit rates used to be 7% around 2016, now down to around 4%. Still, it’s enough to beat U.S. inflation at around 1.5% a year.

Since some of you seem to invest into the stock market: Do you use a broker from your homeland or do you use an Indonesian broker for your share portfolio?

Citibank in Singapore allows you to invest in US Singapore and Hong Kong stocks, but not Indonesian. I have been using it for years and it is very good.

Well, I’m in USA, so I use TD Ameritrade. If I’m moving back to Indonesia, I’d probably use Interactive Brokers, because I trade individual stocks.

I had an investment opportunity kind of fall into my lap when my boss needed a bridge loan. Now I own shares in the company until he pays me back with interest.

I will never invest in another apartment here again. The two that we purchased suddenly got tied up in a legal nightmare between the land owners and contractors. We might have to eat crow, and not get our money back. It floors me that this is even legal.

Last edited:
Indonesian brokers only have local stocks, so if you want to trade other markets you would need a broker from elsewhere.

I did not know that. Thanks for the information. Also ETFs like MSCI World etc. not possible to trade with a broker from Indonesia?

Last edited:
Nope. Only stocks on Jakarta Stock Exchange are available.

First of all, sorry for the probably stupid question :D But it is not forbidden to hold and trade international stocks if you live in Indonesia, right? It´s just that Indonesian brokers do not offer the service to invest into international stocks so that you would have to find a broker from another country?

But is there a blacklist of stocks that you are not allowed to invest in if you live in Indonesia? For example, as far as I know, US citizens are not allowed to invest in some Chinese companies at the moment because Donald Trump put them onto a blacklist in November. Is there also a blacklist or are there some restrictions you should be aware about if living in Indonesia? What comes to mind spontaneously, maybe it is not allowed to invest into companies that produce alcoholic beverages or weapons or so?

How would they know? If you use an online / int'l broker ? No it's not forbidden.
Just here only local broker for local stocks

First of all, sorry for the probably stupid question :D But it is not forbidden to hold and trade international stocks if you live in Indonesia, right? It´s just that Indonesian brokers do not offer the service to invest into international stocks so that you would have to find a broker from another country?

But is there a blacklist of stocks that you are not allowed to invest in if you live in Indonesia? For example, as far as I know, US citizens are not allowed to invest in some Chinese companies at the moment because Donald Trump put them onto a blacklist in November. Is there also a blacklist or are there some restrictions you should be aware about if living in Indonesia? What comes to mind spontaneously, maybe it is not allowed to invest into companies that produce alcoholic beverages or weapons or so?

Hi, no not stupid at all. It is not forbidden to trade foreign stocks with a foreign broker. Just local brokers do not have any. Probably because there is no regulatory framework for this.

Oh also, you can buy and sell cryptocurrencies if you want to "invest" that way, Indonesia has at least one legal cryptocurrency broker that I know of. Since crypto is considered a commodity here, they are regulated by the Department of Trade.

Hi, no not stupid at all. It is not forbidden to trade foreign stocks with a foreign broker. Just local brokers do not have any. Probably because there is no regulatory framework for this.

Oh also, you can buy and sell cryptocurrencies if you want to "invest" that way, Indonesia has at least one legal cryptocurrency broker that I know of. Since crypto is considered a commodity here, they are regulated by the Department of Trade.

Good to know, thanks.

And does the tax office accept the proof/document of a bank from another country? I mean, if you live in Indonesia and you are taxable there, I assume you would have to pay taxes in Indonesia on capital gains that arise if the custodian bank is based in Europe or so. I assume the tax office would not accept a document written in Greek, Danish, German or so. So, you would need to find a sworn translator who translates the document into Indonesian. And then it is fine and the document is accepted?

Good to know, thanks.

And does the tax office accept the proof/document of a bank from another country? I mean, if you live in Indonesia and you are taxable there, I assume you would have to pay taxes in Indonesia on capital gains that arise if the custodian bank is based in Europe or so. I assume the tax office would not accept a document written in Greek, Danish, German or so. So, you would need to find a sworn translator who translates the document into Indonesian. And then it is fine and the document is accepted?

I don't know, as I do not have any statements that are not in English or Indonesian. If I did, I would probably just fill out the tax forms, and attach copies of the foreign language docs as is, unless am specifically asked otherwise.

I don't know, as I do not have any statements that are not in English or Indonesian. If I did, I would probably just fill out the tax forms, and attach copies of the foreign language docs as is, unless am specifically asked otherwise.

Yes, sounds comprehensible :)
If someone here gained experience regarding this already, feel free to share :p

Hi guys, I notice that Indonesia blocks access to Interactive Brokers. Those of you who have an account, how do you log in to the platform?

VPN, works like a charm.
I split our funds between P2P lending platforms in Europe, only holding about 15% of our investments but good returns. Interactive Brokers is good most of our funds are here.
and I mine crypto for that little bit extra. Also day trading BTC for the fun of it.

VPN, works like a charm.
I split our funds between P2P lending platforms in Europe, only holding about 15% of our investments but good returns. Interactive Brokers is good most of our funds are here.
and I mine crypto for that little bit extra. Also day trading BTC for the fun of it.
Ok, great. IB has a two step identification on a computer and my phone where they send a code. So do you have a VPN installed on your phone as well?

Ok, great. IB has a two step identification on a computer and my phone where they send a code. So do you have a VPN installed on your phone as well?
Code is send by SMS I suppose ? Which will.be no problem.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back