e vitas for spouse sponsored KITAS 2024

macvert

Cager
I'm out of Indo at present & my KITAS has expired. I got an ETK before I left & now me & the wife who is in Indo are in the process of applying for e vitas.

The part of the online application which requires the sponsors details shows they have to upload a current passport & immigration confirms this saying the rules have changed.

Can anyone confirm this because frankly I find it absolutely outrageous.

I'm confused
Why or how did you let your kitas expire while you were out the country? Why didn't you renew it before you left? I mean you've been here long enough

And why are you outraged that your sponsor must provide ID? Of course your sponsor has to prove who they are?

Otherwise you could put any old name

If your wife doesn't have a passport then surely she has Indonesian ID ?

Sorry about the confusion .... I've been out for some time, over a year.

I'm not outraged that my sponsor wife has to provide ID.
In the past KTP, KK etc as an Indonesian citizen was enough but now it is also mandatory that she has a current Indonesian passport even tho she will not leave Indonesia

In the past KTP, KK etc as an Indonesian citizen was enough but now it is also mandatory that she has a current Indonesian passport even tho she will not leave Indonesia
Interesting. WNI-sponsor has to provide a passport? I thought a KTP is the top identification card in Indonesia.

Mandatory? Wow. Ok New
Yeh usually ID is ok

There is no such law, her KTP is completely adequate.

UU No. 6 Tahun 2011 is the highest level immigration law, and Permenkumham No. 22 Tahun 2023 is the latest regulation. In Permenkumham 22/2023, Pasal 43 describes the required documents for spouse KITAS.

You are required to have a current passport (with 6 or more months remaining validity), but she is not.

Thanks Brian, your post helped me convince my wife that she doesn't now need a passport, so that is something positive

I have deduced that my wife's old account has thrown a spanner in the works, there is a dropdown box where Identity Document can be selected but for some still unknown reason it wont upload the KTP & immigration is not helping..... as hard as that may be to believe.

Last edited:
Yes don't let her get a passport
She might want to use it

And don't watch the Truman show either

yep, she tried that
I believe she was applying for E31A VITAS, as your ITAS has expired so will need to start from the scratch again. But it might be much easier process as you already had ITAS but expired.

The document required is stated in the newest regulation from Ministry of law and Human Permenkumham_No_22_2023, Article 43 para (1) & Article 44 para (1) describes the required documents for spouse KITAS.
"Paspor Kebangsaan yang sah dan masih berlaku paling singkat 6 (enam) bulan;"

It is also stated in the e-Visa website
https://molina.imigrasi.go.id/front/faq/5eaebbff-d38d-4e12-959d-55c71dabc80a
"3a. Document Requirement: Valid Nationality Passport at least 6 (six) months."

It is not clear here whose passport is needed. But the logic dictate what they mean with passport here is the the spouse passport of foreign citizens. Vast majority of WNIs living in Indonesia do not have passports. How come they ask the thing they already know, majority of WNIs do not have ??

Also it has been confirmed by Immigration agents that It is the foreign spouse passport that they are after. This is just one example from "balilegals"

"2. Passport – A copy of the foreign spouse’s valid passport must be presented.
3. Copy of the Indonesian Spouse’s KTP (Identity Card) – The Indonesian spouse’s KTP must be presented to prove citizenship and relationship."

Have she tried to upload the combined documents of both her KTP and your passport as one file and upload it (?) to the system and see what may come (?)

But I fully believe you are already aware of in the e-Visa applicaiton when it is rejected the money is gone. So please do it with your own risk.

Another safer alternative is to ask an agent and pay the fee.

It has been reported by many people in social medias the newly launched e_Visa application platform has a lot of errors and bugs. In other cases, taking the money from people the e-visa do not turn up.

Last edited:
Yes, it's elementary my dear Pantaiemma
I have absolutely no doubt there are bugs in the system & am fully aware of losing my money, hence my caution but I have time so you know where you can stick your agents.

@pantaiema It's important to read carefully the whole Pasal;

Pasal 43

(1) Permohonan Visa tinggal terbatas bagi Orang Asing yang melakukan penyatuan keluarga dengan menggabungkan diri dengan suami atau istri warga negara Indonesia sebagaimana dimaksud dalam Pasal 33 ayat (2) huruf h angka 1 diajukan oleh Orang Asing atau Penanggung Jawab melalui aplikasi kepada Pejabat Imigrasi yang ditunjuk pada Direktorat Jenderal Imigrasi dengan melampirkan:

a. Paspor Kebangsaan yang sah dan masih berlaku paling singkat 6 (enam) bulan;
b. bukti permohonan dari suami atau istri warga negara Indonesia;
c. bukti memiliki biaya hidup bagi dirinya dan/atau keluarganya selama berada di Wilayah Indonesia;
d. pasfoto berwarna terbaru; dan
e. dokumen lain untuk menerangkan maksud/tujuan kedatangan Orang Asing.

(2) Dokumen lain sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) huruf e berupa bukti Orang Asing telah melakukan perkawinan secara sah, terdiri atas:

a. bukti pelaporan atau pencatatan pada Perwakilan Republik Indonesia atau instansi yang berwenang di bidang pencatatan sipil, dan akta perkawinan yang telah diterjemahkan dalam Bahasa Indonesia oleh penerjemah tersumpah kecuali dalam Bahasa Inggris, jika perkawinan dilakukan di luar Wilayah Indonesia; atau
b. buku nikah atau akta perkawinan yang dikeluarkan oleh kementerian atau lembaga berwenang, jika perkawinan dilakukan di Wilayah Indonesia.

(3) Ketentuan mengenai besaran biaya hidup sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) huruf c ditetapkan oleh Direktur Jenderal.
Note in the parts that I bolded that it is the foreigner or their representative who submits the visa request, not the spouse. Points b. through e. are also clearly intended for the WNA. If his wife is submitting the Permohonan Visa, it's not as the WNI spouse, but as the WNA's representative (penanggung jawab).

@macvert have YOU tried filling out the online application?

Last edited:
@pantaiema It's important to read carefully the whole Pasal;

Note in the parts that I bolded that it is the foreigner or their representative who submits the visa request, not the spouse. Points b. through e. are also clearly intended for the WNA. If his wife is submitting the Permohonan Visa, it's not as the WNI spouse, but as the WNA's representative (penanggung jawab).

@Brian86

" ... diajukan oleh Orang Asing atau Penanggung Jawab melalui aplikasi kepada Pejabat Imigrasi yang ditunjuk pada Direktorat Jenderal Imigrasi dengan melampirkan:"

The wording .. applied by a foreigner or the guarantor ..But AFAIK, for online spouse sponsored visa E31A, it has never been the case a foreigner could apply on their own. The guarantors/sponsors either spouse or agent need to apply for them. Also I remember reading the guidance about this and the report from other people. But it is good to hear if someone has ever heard a success story of a spouse sponsor visa where a foreigner could file up the online application on their own.

Also how come you said Points b. through e. are also clearly intended for the WNA if the wordings is clearly like this
"b. bukti permohonan dari suami atau istri WARGA NEGARA INDONESIA;". You could only have a proof of application from a WNI spouse if your WNI spouse applies for you.

Also as I mentioned previously in post #12; when they said valid passport in the "molina" website, I fully believe what they mean here, it is the foreigner passport, not the WNI spouse. So for the WNI passport is not needed, KTP is enough. This has also been confirmed by Immigration agents such as "balilegals. It is only that it might be the error, bug in the online application system that does not allow the WNI spouse to attach the ID card (KTP).

Last edited:
I never heard a story where the foreigner successfully applies online on their own. The stories I read is that WNI wives/husbands apply online for their foreign spouses. But the Online application just started early this year so there are still a lot of things to be learnt. It would be interesting to learn the perspective from the other side.

This is a success story of a WNI spouse applies for online spouse sponsor Visa E31A for her husband. She, a WNI (not the foreign husband), needed to apply for him as a guarantor/sponsor. Keep in mind for a spouse sponsor Visa the WNI wife husband is the guarantor/sponsor so complies with the law.
Spouse E31A Success Story.jpg

Last edited:
Also how come you said Points b. through e. are also clearly intended for the WNA if the wordings is clearly like this
"b. bukti permohonan dari suami atau istri WARGA NEGARA INDONESIA;". You could only have a proof of application from a WNI spouse if your WNI spouse applies for you.
The regulations says "diajukan oleh Orang Asing", I agree that it seems different from practice.

But regarding how points a. through e. d are all for WNA, let me walk you through it;
  • a. Passport. I think this is clearly a requirement for the WNA, and seeing that b. through d. are clearly for the foreigner supports this point.
  • b. Spouse application. This is a requirement for the WNA to have an application from a WNI spouse. If it was a requirement for the WNI and it would be; "bukti permohonan dari orang warga negara Indonesia"
  • c. Funds. This is a requirement for the WNA spouse to have evidence of financial independence (which probably violates UU6/2011, but that's another issue). Saying "selama berada di Wilayah Indonesia" can only be understood as a reference to a foreigner.
  • d. Passport photo. The application needs the photo of the WNA, not the WNI.
This is just evidence that it's wrong and absurd for immigration officials to require a WNI spouse to have a passport in order to process a WNA spouse visa. KTP is sufficient ID.

Yes,all my details were fine, I was able to create an account.

I then went to the guarantor section, input my sponsor wife's Username, Password & email address (see note) & all her details from 2019 came up fine. I then added most of the new details they ask for & was able to upload the KTP under Document of Identity …. It then asks for the NIK but will only allow 10 numbers where the NIK is 16 numbers, it also asks for the dates of issue & expiry but the KTP does not have an expiry date

I entered as much as possible, leaving the KTP expiry blank & even typing the last 6 NIK numbers blind before submitting & failing.

Note1. Where the guarantors Username, Password & email address is entered to access their data, the email address has to be typed blind & only shows up once logged into the guarantors data successfully.

Note 2. At the very beginning when applying for an account the first question is which country you are from & all countries are in alphabetical order but at the end of the guarantor section where it asks which country the guarantor is from the list is all over the shop, the first being Nigeria, the last Bahrain with Indonesia 6th last ….. lol.

Note3. My wife reckons she has rung immigration about 10 times over the past few weeks or so & has actually been answered 4 times, twice being told to change her email address which she tried with both being rejected, also being told to send an email which she has done 6 or 7 times without an answer to any. I also sent an email & haven't received an answer. The best 1 was the woman who answered & told my wife with an apparent snigger that the rules have changed & she has to have a passport to sponsor someone.

Maybe it was the janitor who answered the phone but to say that about immigration's service & behaviour would be to demeaning a janitor.

PS. My wife tells me immigration is always active on instagram & there are many people seeking information but immigration never answers.

Last edited:
was able to upload the KTP under Document of Identity …. It then asks for the NIK but will only allow 10 numbers where the NIK is 16 numbers, it also asks for the dates of issue & expiry but the KTP does not have an expiry date
First rule in Indonesia .. why make it easy, if it can be done the 'susah' way.

Yes,all my details were fine, I was able to create an account.

I then went to the guarantor section, input my sponsor wife's Username, Password & email address (see note) & all her details from 2019 came up fine. I then added most of the new details they ask for & was able to upload the KTP under Document of Identity …. It then asks for the NIK but will only allow 10 numbers where the NIK is 16 numbers, it also asks for the dates of issue & expiry but the KTP does not have an expiry date

I entered as much as possible, leaving the KTP expiry blank & even typing the last 6 NIK numbers blind before submitting & failing.

Note1. Where the guarantors Username, Password & email address is entered to access their data, the email address has to be typed blind & only shows up once logged into the guarantors data successfully.

Note 2. At the very beginning when applying for an account the first question is which country you are from & all countries are in alphabetical order but at the end of the guarantor section where it asks which country the guarantor is from the list is all over the shop, the first being Nigeria, the last Bahrain with Indonesia 6th last ….. lol.

Note3. My wife reckons she has rung immigration about 10 times over the past few weeks or so & has actually been answered 4 times, twice being told to change her email address which she tried with both being rejected, also being told to send an email which she has done 6 or 7 times without an answer to any. I also sent an email & haven't received an answer. The best 1 was the woman who answered & told my wife with an apparent snigger that the rules have changed & she has to have a passport to sponsor someone.

Maybe it was the janitor who answered the phone but to say that about immigration's service & behaviour would be to demeaning a janitor.

PS. My wife tells me immigration is always active on instagram & there are many people seeking information but immigration never answers.
Macvert, I have a few whatassap numbers of the inmigration office, if you want I can send them to you with a private sms, they were helping me a lot when I had the problem applying for the Vitas one year ago on line from overseas. They don´t reply inmediately sometimes but they do

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhbrandt
Back