DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

Your case proves that a person can be infected, remain asymptomatic throughout until full recovery. In other words, some people may never know they have been infected before unless they tested themselves.
Exactly. My case is not the only one, could be hundreds million. Even the people has been tested negative can be infected in minutes after test and do not know at all.

If they require vaccinations for kitas or kitap applications, what about those that are over 59 that can not get one here?

I have to wonder if Indonesia got with Johnson and Johnson early on to try to make some arrangements if their vac was approved. J&J vac cost about 4 dollars compared to others at 40 and no freezing required, only normal refrigeration. It is only a 1 jab vac too. I doubt they did though. They seem to be sitting back waiting to see who will donate more to them. Looking at Indonesia one would have to wonder if trump was in charge and people like the Florida Governor doing the plan administration.

Indonesia says it will finish bottling up 13 million doses of the Sinovac Vaccine by tomorrow. Let's see if vaccinations pick up. So far only about 1 million doses have been delivered.

Do you have to be WNI to be vaccinated in Indonesia?
I am unsure, because the initial reports back in December said most Indonesian citizens would be vaccinated for free.
Then I saw in January that it had been revised to be more inclusive & that all the "community" would be vaccinated. So how do we or more importantly the policy makers define 'community'?

My assumption is this (but this is Indonesia & such things aren't clear as of yet to me) if one has the BPJS health scheme that the vaccine is unlikely to be charged for, & if one doesn't then unless one is Indonesian one pays for it.
Moot point at this stage though as I am pretty sure there won't be any vaccines rolled out to general populace until they get the medical & armed forces & police personnel jabbed.

My other assumption is that even if we had to pay for it the price would be nominal as it is in the country's interests to get as many people as possible covered.

Indonesia says it will finish bottling up 13 million doses of the Sinovac Vaccine by tomorrow. Let's see if vaccinations pick up. So far only about 1 million doses have been delivered.

Well at least there are more zeroes on the end of the numbers now, that is a step in the right direction :)

Does anyone know when will they include the antigen rapid test results to the daily case report? I am keen to see the more realistic representation of Indo covid situation...

Does anyone know when will they include the antigen rapid test results to the daily case report? I am keen to see the more realistic representation of Indo covid situation...

I don't think we will ever see any realistic numbers. There are a number of factors why like in my case, false positives are added the tally of the number of positive cases. Then add to the fact there is the social stigma of having covid, rural areas, etc...

I don't think we will ever see any realistic numbers. There are a number of factors why like in my case, false positives are added the tally of the number of positive cases. Then add to the fact there is the social stigma of having covid, rural areas, etc...

The only valid numbers is the excess deaths compared to the previous 3 years.

Anything else is meaningless.

I follow this for 3 European countries, and the rate is between 16 / 18 % higher for 2020. Not insignificant, but also not a drama.
Next is you have the consider the age of those excess deaths.

If the life expantancy is 82 y, and the majority of the deaths are 80, the loss of life is only 2 years.
This Covid thing should be looked at without emotions and drama...

The only valid numbers is the excess deaths compared to the previous 3 years.

Anything else is meaningless.

I follow this for 3 European countries, and the rate is between 16 / 18 % higher for 2020. Not insignificant, but also not a drama.
Next is you have the consider the age of those excess deaths.

If the life expantancy is 82 y, and the majority of the deaths are 80, the loss of life is only 2 years.
This Covid thing should be looked at without emotions and drama...
While I wholeheartedly agree that the only way we'll understand the full impact of COVID is via the excess death measures I disagree about the loss of life in years being insignificant.

Life expectancy isn't a linear scale - we are much more likely to reach the age of 90 if we make it to 80.
I read a paper from a Harvard medical school researcher who looked at the deaths in 194,000 Americans (of COVID) and they estimated that the average loss of life years was 13.25

You might want to check it as I know you like to check the sources of your info: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.18.20214783v2

This also fails to take into account the impact of the illness of the future health of the population which we are only starting to grasp.

I am unsure, because the initial reports back in December said most Indonesian citizens would be vaccinated for free.
Then I saw in January that it had been revised to be more inclusive & that all the "community" would be vaccinated. So how do we or more importantly the policy makers define 'community'?

My assumption is this (but this is Indonesia & such things aren't clear as of yet to me) if one has the BPJS health scheme that the vaccine is unlikely to be charged for, & if one doesn't then unless one is Indonesian one pays for it.
Moot point at this stage though as I am pretty sure there won't be any vaccines rolled out to general populace until they get the medical & armed forces & police personnel jabbed.

My other assumption is that even if we had to pay for it the price would be nominal as it is in the country's interests to get as many people as possible covered.
Thanks for the info

It appears from the Australian quarantining experience that the confining of arrivals in multi storey hotels has been a bad decision. Without access to fresh air, as windows cannot be opened, and relying upon existing ventilation systems apparently there is increased risk of detainees contracting a virus once there is a case occur within a hotel. Bad enough having to pay thousands of dollars for the confinement but a lurking suspicion that once locked up you may be at increased risk of contracting a virus is not a very happy situation.

And too bad if you are just a regular paying guest and staying at the hotel are newly arrived quarantined persons some of whom actually have the virus

The complexities of allowing home confinement obviously presents a monitoring problem but were I in that position of being required to quarantine I would much rather be at home than posed with evidently greater risk being locked up in hotel. I suspect that having gone down this path it will take quite a while for governments to change their systems.

By about September a new set of vaccines will be needed for the new variants, and Indonesia probably won't even be 20% of the way through the first set of vaccinations..

One thing I have noticed with Indonesia and the quarantine hotels for arrivals is they seem to be rotating the use of the hotels. This is based on the a number of people I know who have arrived.

Complexities of mutations and some vaccines having worrying side effects suggest rolling out vaccination programs will not be a smooth path to wiping away the pandemic.

French news has reported a patient who had previously recovered from Covid 19 is now in a critical condition in hospital with the South African variant.

More than 100 French nurses reported adverse reactions to vaccination and having sickness that required days off work. It seems many of these are now reluctant to have a follow up vaccination. A major hospital is staggering the vaccination program for nurses fearing disruptions to nursing availability if the rapid program continued.

I imagine that most forum members are aware that Victoria in Australia has gone back into total lockdown for five days after sudden new infections. Apart from health concerns these unpredictable events leading to more lockdowns will hammer away at economies. Travel plans anywhere throughout this year will be fraught with risk of more quarantining and countries banning flights from locations where new infections suddenly occur.

Anyway, don't overly panic and stay healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that Indo has started rolling out vaccines for non medical workers, such as elderlies and teachers...Does anyone know what is happening with WNA under those categories?

Now that Indo has started rolling out vaccines for non medical workers, such as elderlies and teachers...Does anyone know what is happening with WNA under those categories?
From what I have not been able to gather, no one seems to know anything about this phase 2 except for the reports and videos of unqualified people like students and their parents getting them. When it's available I will show up, present my KTP and then see where it goes from there. 70% of the available vaccines are supposedly headed to Bali and Java because they have the highest positive rates. Bullshit, they have the areas where testing is actually taking place and you know, tourism.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819