DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

next in line are the army and police? What's the thinking there?

Besides the reasons given above, it is also a good idea to keep the people with the guns happy. There is a reason that half of Jokowi's staff are ex-Generals.

The Oxford vaccine is expected to be approved by the UK and begin distribution next week, this is one that can be stored at common refrigerator temperatures. Indonesia has ordered 100 million doses for 50 million people.
I was under the impression the the astrazeneca vaccine may be effective after one shot. But after the phase 3 trials are vetted and the better initial results with the erroneously administered 1/2 dose first shot trials explained, the experts may well recommend continuing with the planned two shot regime.

Sniffer dogs are best-known for finding drugs and explosives but have also previously been trained to detect malaria, cancer and Parkinson’s disease.

Dogs trained to detect the novel coronavirus have already begun sniffing passenger samples at airports in the United Arab Emirates and Finland.

A study recently found dogs can identify infected individuals with 85% to 100% accuracy and rule out infection with 92% to 99% accuracy.

If the UAE can have sniffer dogs at the airport, why not Indonesia? But I worry how the dogs will be treated here, they need TLC and play time too.

Last edited:
The governor of Kalimantan Barat has banned an airline from dropping off passengers for 10 days, after spot checks on 20 of it's passengers discovered 5 positive cases. All of them had proof of negative test results, but some of them may have been fake. The airline in question was not named.

Ep_Uz4XUwAAKZM8.jpg

Sinovac's vaccine shows 91% efficacy in phase 3 trials in Turkey. It is also being trialed in Brazil and Indonesia, but those results are not yet available.

The vaccine is the one most likely to be widely used in Indonesia, with 45+ million on order. Around 1.2 million doses are already in Indonesia, and another 1.8 million are expected in January. The remaining will arrive as raw material and produced locally. The vaccine in Indonesia will be produced by state owned PT Bio Farma in cooperation with Sinovac.

Indonesia to close borders to all foreign nationals January 1-14, in light of the new, more infectious, Corona strain.

The new strain has not been detected in Indonesia, due to lack of adequate genomic surveillance.

In other news, barn doors being closed after the horses have bolted.

Indonesia to close borders to all foreign nationals January 1-14, in light of the new, more infectious, Corona strain.

The new strain has not been detected in Indonesia, due to lack of adequate genomic surveillance.

In other news, barn doors being closed after the horses have bolted.

Now I am getting a bit confused with this. In other articles I had seen, those with resident permits(KITAS/KITAP) are allowed in. Guess I will be calling the consulate in the morning.

Now I am getting a bit confused with this. In other articles I had seen, those with resident permits(KITAS/KITAP) are allowed in. Guess I will be calling the consulate in the morning.

Looks like Diplomatic, Dinas, KITAS/KITAP are exempted.
EqXhAlJUYAIsIk5.jpg
EqXhAlHU8AAsuGr.jpg

EqXhAlHVoAEIfiz.jpg

The difference is that Indonesia was looking to re-open for tourism at the end of December. Now the gates are closed. At least that is my understanding or misunderstanding of the situation.

As for the latest request for people to wear masks in their homes this seems to have little chance of success.

It is clear that in countries where the virus gets a good footing then control by lock down and then gradual opening up again is elusive. From two social events in Bali this week it is obvious that when a group of people get together then wearing the masks becomes an impediment and they are mostly taken off and especially so if there is alcohol.

My daughter tells me that in Melbourne few people are bothering to wear masks.

so...in what way is this different from before? I thought ever since the start of the pandemic they have stopped processing new KITAS/visit visa?
For several months they have been processing new KITAS and B211 visit visas, that appears to be stopping. They also appear to be increasing the scrutiny and testing/quarantine procedures for those entering. Practically speaking it seems quite similar to the regulations being applied around April and May 2020.

so...in what way is this different from before? I thought ever since the start of the pandemic they have stopped processing new KITAS/visit visa?

There was a point starting about 2-3 months ago (?) where they were allowing visit visa (B211) to enter. This will now be closed between 1-14 January.

Another group of people subject to this new restrictions is anyone with an e-VITAS (after Telex) before conversion to KITAS at local immigration. This group of people could enter Indonesia since August/September until now.

The extract from the plant, known as "fah talai jone" in Thai, can curb the virus and reduce severity of inflammation, the ministry said, citing studies.

Human trials showed that patient condition improved within three days of the treatment without side effects if the medicine is administered within 72 hours of testing positive.

Does anyone know what is Andrographis paniculata, commonly known as green chiretta, called in Indonesian?

The extract from the plant, known as "fah talai jone" in Thai, can curb the virus and reduce severity of inflammation, the ministry said, citing studies.

Human trials showed that patient condition improved within three days of the treatment without side effects if the medicine is administered within 72 hours of testing positive.

Does anyone know what is Andrographis paniculata, commonly known as green chiretta, called in Indonesian?

Sambiloto

Known to increase Immunity

I like how a vaccine expert explained the difference and why mRNA has higher efficacy than inactivated-type of vaccine, easy for a layman like me to understand.

“At the beginning, we thought a vaccine with 70 per cent efficacy would be good enough, but the high efficacy reported by Moderna and BioNTech set the bar too high and people might feel disappointed when comparing the efficacy rates,” he said. The two mRNA vaccines have shown efficacy of more than 94 per cent.

“The difference in technology means mRNA vaccines will have a higher efficacy than the inactivated vaccines. It is like, one vaccine targets the ammunition in the key point, and the other [targets] all the points, so naturally the effect will be weaker.”

However...

“From the published data, the inactivated Covid-19 vaccines have much fewer and lighter adverse events. It is something to be taken into consideration when hundreds of millions of people are to take vaccines,” he said.

Last edited:
Here's an update of my calculations of excess deaths taken from Jakarta daily burial figures.

Jakarta excess deaths.jpg

We seem to be heading for a 3rd peak (Christmas Day had 204 deaths, double the long term average). Previously the first week of September had been the worst time, but possibly we're going to surpass that soon.
With the chances of quickly vaccinating everybody pretty low, this doesn't fill me with optimism for 2021.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819