DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Any suggestions or comments?
I agree with the other comments. If you live in a large city you should be able to get the items delivered by Gojek/Grab same-day from a apotek or Tokopedia.
  • Vitamin C, D and Zinc. 5000mg/day of C and 20,000 IU/day of D, Zinc 100mg/day. It is impossible to overdose on C and vitamin D would take months at 20k IU/day begin to have problems, and you will know within a week if symptoms are getting better or worse. Also be aware Zinc causes nausea and vomiting in a significant percentage of people, do not be alarmed.
  • Get a 'pulse oximeter'. They are only about 200rb and are the best way to know if a Covid infection is worse than your symptoms are indicating. Doctors worldwide have reported patients with only moderate symptoms coming in with oxygen levels far below expectations. A healthy person will be 95-99% O2 level, anything under 90 is concerning, and below 85% I would go to the hospital.
If you are high risk (over 60, obese, diabetic, etc.) then of course be extra cautious, I would consider going to a hospital below 90% O2 level or any other indication of severe symptoms.

A hospital will be able to provide oxygen and most or all of the MATH+ protocol that has become the international standard. Indonesia is also participating in some trials of common, low risk, and potentially effective drugs like Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, and Calcifediol (hospital-grade vitamin D). Make sure your doctors are aware of any heart health history before giving Hydroxychloroquine.

That is what I would do. I am not a doctor. I am not your doctor.

Burungkecil

Thanks for the responses.
The vitamin C and vitamin D should be here this afternoon. My wife has been cooking soup and providing me with plenty of fruit too. And I've been out in the garden a bit too trying to get a bit of sun.

If the post from the health service that I included in my first post is to be believed, then I am probably at about day 5, which seems to be the point that many people first become aware of any symptoms. So nothing major happening at the moment.
I do feel a bit weaker and a bit more nauseous (on and off) than this morning though.

I had Dengue about 15 years ago and it doesn't feel like that. And I don't think it's flu because no sniffles or sneezing. That doesn't rule it out completely though.

Unfortunately I'm not in perfect health. I have pills for high blood pressure but when I'm anxious it can shoot up. Last time I got tested I was prediabetic but I've lost 13kg since then to get back to a healthy weight. And I usually carry an asthma inhaler with me though I only ever use it back in the UK (very occasionally).

Still torn between staying at home and heading off to hospital for a test

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Thanks for the responses.
The vitamin C and vitamin D should be here this afternoon. My wife has been cooking soup and providing me with plenty of fruit too. And I've been out in the garden a bit too trying to get a bit of sun.

If the post from the health service that I included in my first post is to be believed, then I am probably at about day 5, which seems to be the point that many people first become aware of any symptoms. So nothing major happening at the moment.
I do feel a bit weaker and a bit more nauseous (on and off) than this morning though.

I had Dengue about 15 years ago and it doesn't feel like that. And I don't think it's flu because no sniffles or sneezing. That doesn't rule it out completely though.

Unfortunately I'm not in perfect health. I have pills for high blood pressure but when I'm anxious it can shoot up. Last time I got tested I was prediabetic but I've lost 13kg since then to get back to a healthy weight. And I usually carry an asthma inhaler with me though I only ever use it back in the UK (very occasionally).

Still torn between staying at home and heading off to hospital for a test
I was extremely sick in early Feb.
I had the loss of taste/smell - before it was published as a determining symptom.

Started with the dry cough, this became a much worse productive cough after 10 days or so. I figured I had a secondary lung infection & took a course of antibiotics.
That helped.
For arguments sake let's assume I had the virus.
After the actual virus had done its thing it left me with pneumonia- which is not uncommon.
So have some antibiotics to hand in case that kicks in with you.
I also had to use a Ventolin inhaler and I think we kept Woods in business with their cough medicine.

We quarantined at home with no visitors - hubby had been horrendously sick starting 2 or 3 days before me.
He had the fever, I didn't but I was sicker for much longer than him, in actual fact I have only just started to fully recover- I have been plagued with irregular heartbeats, fatigue, excruciating joint pains, sporadic upset stomachs & at about month 6 I was overcome with awful dizziness.

So- keep yourself to yourself, keep the fluids & the vitamins going in.
Do whatever you can to ease the symptoms, do not push exercise as if it is Covid and IF it has affected your heart it can do some damage.
Listen to your body, I hear a lot of people are big into the following:
Vit B supplements, ginger & tumeric tea, Vit D, Vit C, analgesics to manage the pain.

If you can get a hold of one a little meter that clips to your finger to monitor oxygen levels would be advisable, I also have a blood pressure monitor.

By all means PM me if you want to chat further on this.

Burungkecil

He had the fever, I didn't but I was sicker for much longer than him, in actual fact I have only just started to fully recover- I have been plagued with irregular heartbeats, fatigue, excruciating joint pains, sporadic upset stomachs & at about month 6 I was overcome with awful dizziness.
Well that cheered me up no end😄
Thanks Bad-azz. I don't want to turn this into a "most horrific Covid story" thread otherwise I'll get increasingly anxious but you're right to post about your experience. It's a reminder that with my high blood pressure I can't afford to be complacent.

My brother is a teacher in the UK and he got Coronavirus back in March. He stayed at home throughout but said he thought he was going to die. I'm not sure he's fully over it yet.

Thanks for the offer to PM you. Perhaps afterwards, if I have a similar experience.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Well that cheered me up no end😄
Thanks Bad-azz. I don't want to turn this into a "most horrific Covid story" thread otherwise I'll get increasingly anxious but you're right to post about your experience. It's a reminder that with my high blood pressure I can't afford to be complacent.

My brother is a teacher in the UK and he got Coronavirus back in March. He stayed at home throughout but said he thought he was going to die. I'm not sure he's fully over it yet.

Thanks for the offer to PM you. Perhaps afterwards, if I have a similar experience.
I was neither trying to spook you nor compete in a sickness competition LOL.
I just listed the things that I experienced with as much detail as possible in order to be as helpful as possible & believe me I spared you the deep details :D
The thing with this virus is that it doesn't present the same in everyone which makes it a slippery bugger.
I truly hope you don't have anything resembling what I had, by night 13 I was contemplating if I would survive it or not as I coughed so hard it felt like internal organs were rupturing.

Tell your brother there is something that is called Long Covid / Long Haul Covid.
There are some support groups in FB that are informative and helpful.
I am pretty sure I am just coming out the arse end of Long Covid & when I saw that others were having similar symptoms it was comforting to know that I wasn't alone.

Burungkecil

I appreciate your comments Bad_azz, really.
I just couldn't face reading post after post about how gruesome it all might be.

Anyway, there's good news and bad news. Last night I was feeling quite weak, legs and arms a bit shaky, had a sore throat and felt clammy and decided that if I felt any worse in the morning I would go and get tested. I even prepared a bag of bits and pieces in readiness for two weeks or more in hospital/isolation.

However, when I woke up this morning no clamminess, no chills (unlike the previous morning) and my legs felt stronger. I've also got my appetite back. I'm not yet 100% back to normal (if I ever was) but much improved.

So, I don't know whether it was Covid-19 or not. The majority of people either have no symptoms or their symptoms disappear in a few days. I'm still going to self-isolate (for 10 days?).

And the bad news is that in my first post I quoted a document that purported to be from "Departemen Patologi AIIMS." Well, today I was going to translate the document into English and post it on the forum but it turns out the AIIMS is not Indonesian at all. Sorry about that. It's the All India Institute of Medical Sciences and has seen it's name used in several hoaxes. I'm not sure if there's any false info in there but please disregard it. I've reported my post to the moderator to get it edited.

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
And the bad news is that in my first post I quoted a document that purported to be from "Departemen Patologi AIIMS." Well, today I was going to translate the document into English and post it on the forum but it turns out the AIIMS is not Indonesian at all. Sorry about that. It's the All India Institute of Medical Sciences and has seen it's name used in several hoaxes. I'm not sure if there's any false info in there but please disregard it. I've reported my post to the moderator to get it edited.
I was some what amused that the document mentioned recommended that you frequently change clothes as part of your self treatment.

Burungkecil

I was some what amused that the document mentioned recommended that you frequently change clothes as part of your self treatment.
Right. I didn't see anything in the document that looked wildly inaccurate though like "drink bleach."

Just in case anybody needs to isolate in Jakarta and doesn't fancy week or two living in a converted sports stadium I'll post a few alternatives that may be of interest.

IMG-20200914-WA0003.jpgIMG-20200914-WA0013.jpgIMG-20200914-WA0004.jpg

gemima

Cager
Right. I didn't see anything in the document that looked wildly inaccurate though like "drink bleach."

Just in case anybody needs to isolate in Jakarta and doesn't fancy week or two living in a converted sports stadium I'll post a few alternatives that may be of interest.

View attachment 1565View attachment 1566View attachment 1567
Thanks for sharing these - I dont know why I find them quite amusing (exclusive package...:)). But at the same time its nice to know that if I do get sick I wont have to end up in the government hospital towers.
Glad you are feeling better!

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
You are right... But surely a person who is stupid enough to recommend such treatment in this day and age would never rise to a position of power that would enable him to spread such idiocy. What sort of backwards country could allow such a thing?

HappyMan

Charter Member
Cager
You are right... But surely a person who is stupid enough to recommend such treatment (get the bleach in their bodies) in this day and age would never rise to a position of power that would enable him to spread such idiocy. What sort of backwards country could allow such a thing?

dafluff

Cager
Some possible good news for Indonesia for being a Dengue endemic country... :D

States in which a large fraction of the population had contracted dengue fever in 2019-2020 reported lower COVID-19 cases and deaths, and took longer to reach exponential community transmission, due to slower SARS-CoV-2 infection growth rates.

gemima

Cager
Some possible good news for Indonesia for being a Dengue endemic country... :D

This is a really interesting pre-print - thanks for sharing here!

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Just curious Burungkecil or anybody who might be able to answer....(or maybe point me to the right direction)
1. Getting a swab test at your local Puskesmas. I heard this can be done free of charge?
2. IF the test turned out positive, getting the referral letter from Puskesmas is necessary to admit yourself to a place like Wisma Atlet Kemayoran (or government appointed treatment hospitals?)
3. The alternative places you mentioned like Tzu Chi...I would think it won't be reimbursed by the government?

harryopal

Charter Member
I have a scientist friend (Hon. Professorial Fellow Ion Channels and Human Diseases Laboratory
Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
) who emailed me with this comment:
"... There is now a ton of academic/clinical evidence to show that this virus can cause serious long term affects on the brain, heart and other organs as well as lungs....goodness knows how developing countries are going to cope...and we don't even know if it's like chickenpox....you get it as a kid, but it's not until you are 60+ that shingles can appear...same virus -it just lies dormant.......so PLEASE be careful and keep covid-free. "

He had previously remarked, "... this virus is not going to be an easy one to keep under control until a vaccine comes...apparently the Indonesian govt is trialing a Russian vaccine...wouldn't risk it personally...so please be careful."

I will ask him why he is so distrustful of a Russian vaccine. He had spent most of his working life in Switzerland so maybe in Europe there is more knowledge about the quality of Russian research.

gemima

Cager
I have a scientist friend (Hon. Professorial Fellow Ion Channels and Human Diseases Laboratory
Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
) who emailed me with this comment:
"... There is now a ton of academic/clinical evidence to show that this virus can cause serious long term affects on the brain, heart and other organs as well as lungs....goodness knows how developing countries are going to cope...and we don't even know if it's like chickenpox....you get it as a kid, but it's not until you are 60+ that shingles can appear...same virus -it just lies dormant.......so PLEASE be careful and keep covid-free. "

He had previously remarked, "... this virus is not going to be an easy one to keep under control until a vaccine comes...apparently the Indonesian govt is trialing a Russian vaccine...wouldn't risk it personally...so please be careful."

I will ask him why he is so distrustful of a Russian vaccine. He had spent most of his working life in Switzerland so maybe in Europe there is more knowledge about the quality of Russian research.
He's probably a bit skeptical of the russian vaccine becuase they say they are skipping the phase 3 trial and will start to distribute it (safe vaccines should go through a strict stage & gate process from Phase 1 throught Phase 3 where all subjects are monitored closely) - they are racing to get to the finish line as fast as possible (the vaccine is called Sputnik for heavens sake). It doesnt mean the vaccine is unsafe or doesnt work but the fact is they havent followed the process to ensure it is as safe/ efficacious as the other vaccines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cendrawasih
Top Bottom