Crazy Aussie in Bali

Helpful Herbert

It was just a reference to the earlier post

I remember in Chiang Mai they told me that the Chinese would drive there from China, sleep in their cars, and cook their own noodles on a gas stove they bought with them!

snpark

Cager
There have been lots of Chinese tour operators who controlled most or all monetary aspects of Balinese tours. They only used Chinese national tour guides, only stopped at Chinese owned/controlled gift shops, restaurants, and I’d guess hotels, too.

This takes most if not all the tourism dollars out of Indonesian’s pockets. Locals have to make money, too.
but chinese indonesia is still indonesian, right?
I mean are there really 100% chinese owned companies in bali? there must be some % of indonesian ownership or are they 100% PMA chinese owner?

William King

Charter Member
Cager
I think helpful herbet is but hurt from a thread he posted a few weeks ago that was racist, and he was told off for it, now he stalks other threads to bleat at people in retaliation.

Having said that, on this occasion you were generalising about Chinese tourists, when not all are bad.

Helpful Herbert

I think helpful herbet is but hurt from a thread he posted a few weeks ago that was racist, and he was told off for it, now he stalks other threads to bleat at people in retaliation.

Having said that, on this occasion you were generalising about Chinese tourists, when not all are bad.
I'm not sure what other thread you're referring to, but please look back to the start of this thread and you might understand the irony of my comment above. You can read it slowly if it helps.

harryopal

Charter Member
We all tend to generalize and make decisions based on a modicum of information. These days with sensitivities about racism and profiling, institutions and government services are usually quick to deny profiling. But in fact most do as do many organizations business or otherwise.

For example, border surveillance authorities will look at arrival from a country for known high levels of drug trafficking and will then reasonably have a higher level of regard for the passengers. While usually denying "profiling" the practical reality of customs and immigration services is to view incoming passengers in terms of a perceived higher level of risk.

Insurance companies develop policy charges based on things like age, health, country of origin, (known patterns of drug trafficking and crime in various countries) and race of each individual.

In nothern parts of Australia, Aboriginal, Torres Strait Island or people of colour entering a department store or large shop often find themselves being followed and watched the whole time they are in the store. That is felt as racist and I believe it is. Police routinely stop young black, African, Aboriginal and Islander people much more often than young white members of the community. Opinions will vary as to whether or not that is racial profiling or responsible policing based on factual information. But another element in these processes is often the hostility of police shown in interrogating non whites. Basically, prejudice is at a high level within the ranks of police forces. (A prejudicial statement regarding police unless we are determined to treat the next police officer and allow that he or she is a decent and fair upholder or the law unless shown to be otherwise.)

For a lot of historical and complex reasons Australian Aborigines have a disproportionately high representation in the prison system. As an economically disadvantaged and oppressed group it is common for many Aboriginal people to seek solace in drink with higher levels of alcoholism. (The same was true of the first English and Irish people transported to Australia.) Aborigines have much higher levels of infant mortality, adults with diabetes and life expectancy running at about 10 years less than the mainstream population. Education and employment levels also compare unfavourably with that of the non Aboriginal population with social dysfunction and higher levels of juvenile petty crime. Just as an insurance company is going to offer a higher rate of policy costs to an Aboriginal person based on these facts, the average person will tend then to react with suspicion if not hostility to Aborigines.

So in a simplistic sense it is not irrational to be prejudiced. But it is the mark of a civilized society that we allow that any individual may not conform to the stereotypical identification of the group from which they come. Every individual deserves the same rights and opportunities as others within the society within which they live.

To come back to whether or not it is fair or racist to talk in terms of "Chinese tourists" or "Aussies" as likely ratbags or bogans my personal view it is a legitimate area of curiosity to know more about those who appear in odd, anti social incidents or crime. But at the same time it is important for me to then accept that the next Chinese or Aussie is probably a perfectly decent person and treat them without prejudice.

Last edited:

jukung11

Cager
I’d guess they buy stuff, and contribute to the local economy.
If Indonesia would change the interpretation on work as the location of the job and not the person, it would change the discussion very quickly. In an economic sense it is considered an export, the same as tourism, because the person is importing foreign funds for spending in Indonesia. The problem would be every company would use this loophole to avoid taxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mekapo
Top Bottom