1 liter wine revised to 2.25 liter (overseas)

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Curious if anybody here has successfully brought 3 bottles of wine through Soekarno Hatta? I know wife was able to get through them with four bottles a couple months ago, but she was traveling with 3 other people. Not sure how a sure thing it is bringing 3 bottles myself...

Curious if anybody here has successfully brought 3 bottles of wine through Soekarno Hatta? I know wife was able to get through them with four bottles a couple months ago, but she was traveling with 3 other people. Not sure how a sure thing it is bringing 3 bottles myself...

I usually stick to 1 or 2 bottles but my boyfriend always brings in way more - 4 or 5 and he's never had any issues. He travels solo so can't claim they are from a group of people. He usually has a backpack so I think they just assume he couldn't possibly have so many bottles in his bag. We've been doing this for 7 years now.
They are stricter in Bali so wouldn't bring over my limit there but in CGK they don't seem so bothered.

Any update on whether this has come into effect? I am genuinely (no, really! I am!) asking for a friend.

I usually stick to 1 or 2 bottles but my boyfriend always brings in way more - 4 or 5 and he's never had any issues. He travels solo so can't claim they are from a group of people. He usually has a backpack so I think they just assume he couldn't possibly have so many bottles in his bag. We've been doing this for 7 years now.
They are stricter in Bali so wouldn't bring over my limit there but in CGK they don't seem so bothered.
Backpack, how did he get the wines in the cabin? Bought duty free? Or the backpack was checked-in?

Any update on whether this has come into effect? I am genuinely (no, really! I am!) asking for a friend.
Not sure if it's in effect yet. I'm kinda regretting to have left a bottle of good Pinot Noir back in the US after getting through Soekarno Hatta's custom so smoothly. I guess it's better safe than sorry for now!

Backpack, how did he get the wines in the cabin? Bought duty free? Or the backpack was checked-in?
Checked-in backpack - he usually buys extra in the duty-free and hand carries those. I don't know how he gets away with it - he even writes it all down on the declaration card and they just don't bother to look. I would say it was luck but I've been living here for 7 years now and he flies in and out regularly so there have been a lot of chances for them to stop him up to now.

Update: So within the past month I've had two friends who had issues with the wines at the customs. One understandably brought quite a few (4 wines+1 cherry liquor)....you would think five bottles for two people would make it through but the wife got called as she went through the 'non declared' and was asked why they brought so many bottles...from explaining to them that one was 'fruit juice' and then the officer had to pull one bottle from a semi opened luggage zipper (i think it was broken maybe by the baggage handler, etc) only to pull wife's friends bra...and he apologized and asked wife's friend to pull the bottle, she said 'no can't do...hand is too big, etc' so office let them off with a warning. Second friend....only brought ONE bottle, one whiskey, and one smaller bottle whiskey. Had to give away the wine and watched it being poured into the bin...

So yeah, absolute maximum for me to bring my wines would be two bottles....and seems like hard liquor makes ya a bigger target for whatever reason.

Oh yeah and friend's wife showed the link i had forwarded to them, to the officer...and was met with 'No law that is incorrect and not in effect '.

Oh yeah and friend's wife showed the link i had forwarded to them, to the officer...and was met with 'No law that is incorrect and not in effect '.
I flew in to Jakarta last night and they have signs up saying the law is still 1 liter per adult. I had 3 suitcases, a carry one and a brief case and was travelling alone, so even though I went to the nothing to declare line, they made me go to the x-ray side and put all my bags through. I did have a 1.75 liter bottle in one bag and another 1.75 liter in a second bag, but it didn't seem they were paying much attention to the screens or perhaps they just saw one bottle in each bag and assumed bags they were for different people and both only 1 liter. No questions asked, just loaded all the bags back on the cart and walked away.

That's what I do. 1 bottle per bag. That's all they look at on the x-ray. They don't know who's bag is who's. Even if you pick up 2 bags you can say the wife ran ahead to get the taxi etc

Hmmm I travel light (one carry on...one checked)...looks like i may have to just check them both then for the safest option.

I brought 1 Baileys and 1 Kahlua on my hand ( 1 plastic bag), next time I will try to put 3 in it..see if get passed lol

I even put my laptop in a duty free clear plastic bag and a bottle into my laptop bag. It barely fits and looks stupid but it still works. And spread the bags in the x-ray machine between other's bags also. Like take your time to empty your trolley.
The guy looking at the screen only sees a bag and 1 bottle.
Then when you pick up your bag again just slowly pick up when it gets onto the overspill.

No need grab it immediately.

Then a single person coming from SG can easily carry 4 bottles even just with a laptop and an empty rucksack.
That's what I do every time
Spread it

I fail to understand the incentive in bringing so much bottles of wine like 4-5 Bottles and carry it all the way through airports while the price of wines in Jakarta is not that particularly expensive.
You could get wine in Jakarta as low as IDR270k
Unless of course, if it is a fine or vintage wines that are not widely available in Jakarta, your favourite wines for your own consumption and can not be gotten elsewhere. But I also doubt you could get this sort of wines in duty free Shop in the airport as this sort of wines will only attract specific customers and are not really popular for gifting.
For duty it is probably worthier to bring spirit and/or whiskies where the price different is quite signifiant ??

Last edited:
Yes you can also buy Bali Smirnoff for 200rb

But no thanks
People bringing in wine are bringing in good stuff (and original)
Stuff that is $50/$100/$200 a bottle which here would be 4x the price in a restaurant

The only wine people buy online here is for party wine or "table" wine. Not the half decent stuff.

That's why

But I also doubt you could get this sort of wines in duty free Shop in the airport as this sort of wines will only attract specific customers
You haven't been to Changi recently? There is acres of space devoted to fine wines, whiskies, brandy etc. Even a whole floor upstairs just for Macallan

I fail to understand the incentive in bringing so much bottles of wine like 4-5 Bottles and carry it all the way through airports

On the 8th day god invented the wheel. And the shopping cart
And a man to carry my bags for $1

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back