1 liter wine revised to 2.25 liter (overseas)

gemima

Cager
I fail to understand the incentive in bringing so much bottles of wine like 4-5 Bottles and carry it all the way through airports while the price of wines in Jakarta is not that particularly expensive.
You could get wine in Jakarta as low as IDR270k
Unless of course, if it is a fine or vintage wines that are not widely available in Jakarta, your favourite wines for your own consumption and can not be gotten elsewhere. But I also doubt you could get this sort of wines in duty free Shop in the airport as this sort of wines will only attract specific customers and are not really popular for gifting.
For duty it is probably worthier to bring spirit and/or whiskies where the price different is quite signifiant ??
You must not drink wine - the stuff here in the shops is inflated-priced crappy wine that's been stored badly (the customs areas have NO AC - think of your wines sat there for 2-3 days at 35 degrees). I've almost given up drinking wine here unless I've brought it in from abroad.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Well, yes there are much more choices now than a few years ago for sure....and my pain threshold has also gone up from cringing at paying 250K a bottle to now saying "Ah that's not too bad" to 300-400K/bottle. Of course we are talking 'standard' wine (the Chileans..South Africans...Australians...some Italians even French on promos...etc). Why do I still wanna torture myself with hauling 3-4 bottles from overseas? Aside from dollar pinching a bit..I'm doing it based on principle. I'm not a connoisseur....so no flexing on $100/bottle wines from me here....but even just a 'regular' $32 Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir can cost 1.3 mill here. which about half of it is tax.....no sorry...I'll carry my bottles thanks. Sometimes even for the heck of trying out something that is impossible to find...a friend brought me a bottle of greek wine and a $12 Picpoul de pinet from the UK. Cheapo drink...but pretty sure it's impossible to find in Indonesia.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Reminds me where I had to spend more than USD 200 for a fresh (instead of frozen) durian in egypt to satisfy wife's palate.

Ruserious

You haven't been to Changi recently? There is acres of space devoted to fine wines, whiskies, brandy etc. Even a whole floor upstairs just for Macallan

That was pre-covid. If you've been to changi recently you'll notice that they have changed the duty free company (i think its Lotto now) and the main shop is still closed for renovation. They only have the small shops at each wing open with limited supply especially on wines. Hopefully it will improve again soon as right now it is very dissappointing (only flavoured belvedere for example - not the normal one in stock)

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
That was pre-covid. If you've been to changi recently you'll notice that they have changed the duty free company (i think its Lotto now) and the main shop is still closed for renovation. They only have the small shops at each wing open with limited supply especially on wines. Hopefully it will improve again soon as right now it is very dissappointing (only flavoured belvedere for example - not the normal one in stock)
Ugh I was hoping to do some wine shopping there...thanks for the info!

Ruserious

Ugh I was hoping to do some wine shopping there...thanks for the info!
You may have more luck in terminal 2. There is still a wine selection but nothing like before. Hopefully when the main one opens they go back to full stocks.

Banana72

Charter Member
Cager
Update: Short visit to Singapore completed...and yes, I tried my luck in Terminal 1, there was a small-ish wine duty free area tucked behind some kind of booth renovation. Didn't see anything I like. I didn't try the 'ishopchangi' option either.

Also arriving in Jakarta, I guess too many people asking about that 2.25 liter law...so they put up the new sign '1 liter max, anything over will be destroyed'. I was thinking...why not really make easy/legal money, and say anything over, pay tax (just like they do with overseas phones)? Maybe too complicated to figure out the wine price...

pantaiema

Update: Short visit to Singapore completed...and yes, I tried my luck in Terminal 1, there was a small-ish wine duty free area tucked behind some kind of booth renovation. Didn't see anything I like. I didn't try the 'ishopchangi' option either.

Also arriving in Jakarta, I guess too many people asking about that 2.25 liter law...so they put up the new sign '1 liter max, anything over will be destroyed'. I was thinking...why not really make easy/legal money, and say anything over, pay tax (just like they do with overseas phones)? Maybe too complicated to figure out the wine price...
Typical Indonesia, absolute nonsense. They focus on custom for very small value items. I have not seen other G20 countries or even any countries, apart from the countries where there are a lot of graft cases, like the African countries, have the custom rules as tight as Indonesia, Mobile Phones registration, Simcard, 1 liter of wine, bla bla bla absolute nonsense. Even you try to buy a giant nail cutter from China (as it is difficult to get it in Indonesia, if you could find it) which just cost less than $10, it will be retained in the Post Office before they send it to you and apply the duty which is very tiny. It will probably cost them more of the staff time rather than the custom duty they will get.
They do not focus on the big items such as Luxurious sport cars, HD big Motorbikes, etc where there are a lot of them have been smuggled and do not pay duty at all.

Last edited:

snpark

Cager
Typical Indonesia, absolute nonsense. They focus co custom for very small value items. I have not seen other G20 countries or even any countries (apart from the country where there are a lot graft cases, like in Africa) have custom rules as tight as Indonesia, Simcard, 1 liter of wine, bla bla absolute nonsense. Even you try to buy a nail cutter from China (as it is difficult to get it in Indonesia) which just cost less than $10, it will be retained in the Post Office before the send it to you and apply the duty which is very small.
They do not focus on the big things such as Luxurious sport cars, HD Motorbikes, etc where there a re a lot of them have been smuggled and do not pay duty.

Hahaha that's what you think
Go to Halim and watch the "smaller" flights land from SG etc and the customs help Bapak and Ibu with literally cases of wines whiskies watches bags etc

centurion

Cager
My friend went through the fast-track/VIP a few days ago in Soekarno-Hatta and everything above 1 liter was seized.

Changamira

I will be visiting soon and would really like to buy some wine (above duty free allowance) in Indonesia for the trip.
The problem is I arrive after 6PM when the wine outlets at Soekarno-Hatta are closed and head for Raja Ampat before they open. Very difficult to by wine there.
Anyone have a solution? I could order online - but where could I send it/collect at Soekarno-Hatta?

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyathink
Top Bottom