Your favourite Indonesian snack/dish

Hmmm. I would like to try my luck. I've been learning to make my own for some time and I've gotten pretty good. My wife is still the master, at least in my house, though.

We did plant lemon grass and a kefir lime tree here in America just so I could enjoy rendang about once every two weeks. I'd actually like to apply it to more recipes. I was really crestfallen when I learned that rendang pizza had long ago been thought of by someone else to great effect.

Thats a shame someone already thought of Rendang pizza, I'll have to pass that on to the good lady, see how it goes
 
My new favourite is goat sate east java style. I'm in Bengkulu so this style not common here. People based in Java probably bored with these :) Just basic goat cooked well over coals. Instead of peanut sauce or gravy they just have kecap manis with chopped green chilli and tomato pieces. Incidently they don't get served with lontong..just nasi putih. Sensational and simple..its more about quality goat meat and getting a really nice charcoal flavour, and as a bonus they put a piece of liver on each skewer...my current favourite. My other favourite lately is Hiu bagar..local bengkulu cooking. Shark meat stew..simply awsome and spicey..about 30 different spices and ingredients and a lot of prep time..lovely
 
That could work, because rendang has similarities to Mexican barbacoa.

Oh yes……talk food to me, make me drool


I am somewhat of a rendang purist and insist it should be served with rice and lots of it,

but yea I can see Rendang-Burrito/Echillada or even Rendang Sushi Roll.
 
Bad idea to read this thread at night...now I want a rendang, kikil and a steaming steamed rice, but nowhere to go! (Interestingly I've seen a few restaurant padang that are open for 24 hours...).

Glad to see at least Martabak Manis got a couple shout outs...My parents became martabak manis smugglers when I was in the US. Mom would freeze the crap out of the martabak..and within 24 hours I get mine back in the US. Rationed it for 3-4 days..
 
Oh yes……talk food to me, make me drool


I am somewhat of a rendang purist and insist it should be served with rice and lots of it,

but yea I can see Rendang-Burrito/Echillada or even Rendang Sushi Roll.

I don't think they have it anymore but I remember seeing McDonalds Indonesia serving McRendang...
 
Oh yes……talk food to me, make me drool


I am somewhat of a rendang purist and insist it should be served with rice and lots of it,

but yea I can see Rendang-Burrito/Echillada or even Rendang Sushi Roll.

I think Rendang taco would be awesome. Use diced cucumbers instead of onions, chives instead of cilantro, and sambal hijau instead of salsa verde.

As for sushi rolls, I prefer to stick with fish and seafood. Gurame rica rica roll or bandeng asap roll would be great.
 
I think Rendang taco would be awesome. Use diced cucumbers instead of onions, chives instead of cilantro, and sambal hijau instead of salsa verde.

As for sushi rolls, I prefer to stick with fish and seafood. Gurame rica rica roll or bandeng asap roll would be great.

Indeed, it work well for Taco and burrito as well,
We always cook rendang in large amount and keep in fridge.
Taco or burrito rendang is my regular lunch box menu
sometime with bread but taco or burrito is better
 
Rendang tacos?

I have made a pact with my Mexican-American co-workers to bring the rendang taco, soon to be known to the world as the tadang or the rendco, to life. If/when we do this, I'll share pictures of this holy matrimony.

Then I'm going to work on a Indo-Mex fusion restaurant because it's going to be off the charts.
 
I have made a pact with my Mexican-American co-workers to bring the rendang taco, soon to be known to the world as the tadang or the rendco, to life. If/when we do this, I'll share pictures of this holy matrimony.

Then I'm going to work on a Indo-Mex fusion restaurant because it's going to be off the charts.
I think you should call it the Taco-Dan
 
I think you should call it the Taco-Dan

I would except that now at least two others (that I know of) have suggested it or said they've done it.

I could become the man who popularizes Indonesian-Mexican cuisine, though, hmmmm...

There's some similarities, a lot of differences, but enough love of chilies to make it work, big time.
 
Rendang would replace the shredded pork filling...it's Carnitas' spicy brother.
 
When I went to Bruny Island (in Tasmania), there's a small shop selling wallaby rendang pie. Didn't try.
 
Siomay Bandung! Tofu, potatoes, cabbage and the chewy goodness of the siomay itself all smothered in peanut sauce, kecap manis, tomato saus and a half a lime... I could eat it every day.
Yum yum yum!
It's a bad idea to read this thread after eating, I'm hungry again...
 
the best rendang in the country.
my daughter like egg rendang. Afters 2-3 hours, the eggs will shrinkage and very tasty.

iO_Lh_t6hXEKupG_hhU_I5xBObtvvyEHsNIdjgOt6on2EjUZ_v4hZbVWnpM_M0339-ftKlwVNhMz9xMu4dzMZB9OdKkv3gQP3DJJ9cWPBjcbwk2KqoYulbz3htFN0vvoFvG5V5nq-ESM5W1IXxw2ZGavPQQjqr6WjwZsm4g2Y9LKgENgLfTKxWtbepj3gvN6_jUDc1GvhiNLAHePQC_0KNGcsV12775Ld4N5xkz63MwpCXam5GlsSvhX6GgY042gZ2Qrm8Mtd0xXT6ShZihR-L3Kgpe6q7_VtleEkQPytOImTJc6_OKQPKV-zwDqXgd5ytZLA4AKqQDTe4r90_Q2RaxHI_pP9avtKFMmUW148nIvx5ACjKMJ5gtvsmnrilTZtFoID5HKcPeIFiUe9-tUGCVxZnBeJIHYX3ncJHTEaN9QNjCEB6wQZxGi4_-YU2hqTDSK6AMDh9ljY60OW8F30zB3rjNbg0R-ECSvRy21zbfPcoG3TQMDHT-pdCJnLtzpsmTh0taToneikx242Ffv_APVR76DWjGSyWggOdh_A2AIztC3EGA-jqRSwS-EvDCfMuHiCQoqHWT0jBSCaYon7FMijJp32T4=w1423-h799-no
 
Last edited:
Brilliant idea update!

What if one could make the taco shells out of peyek? With or without kacang, daun jeruk and ikan teri?
 
In Indonesia you can get roasted Cashews in almost any flavored topping conceivable by mankind, even plain. And if you don't like any of the local varieties, you can buy raw and roast up your own concoction.
 

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

New posts Latest threads

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
6,722
Messages
113,677
Members
4,024
Latest member
maj
Back
Top Bottom