Would you travel to Indonesia now? Should I stay, or should I go now...

Here JC, this may have some impact on your decision if you even get chance to make a decision...

We likely would not be returning until August, so not concerned about it.

School was just officially canceled by our Governor, so that is the last major roadblock, unless Trump or Jokowi start something.

I still think you are bonkers (irresponsible) to travel.
It isn't just the risk to wife & child, it is what you could pick up along the way and transfer to others, there is good reasoning behind why places are closing the borders

Probably westward via Japan
If we come, we will transit through Tokyo. On a Japanese airline.

A family member just arrived from LA via Tokyo.

That went well.

The only problem now is the Garuda flight from Jakarta to Manado; the one that was left from (formerly) three flights per day, also got canceled. No other passengers.

It went ok for us on Friday-Saturday, other than the confusing regulations put out by the government. We got refused boarding at LAX because the Indonesian embassy said all foreigners, including permanent residents, needed a doctors certificate to be able to enter.

I had been to my doctor only 2 days before, and could have easily gotten a letter then. So, in a panic, call my doctor and ask for a letter. After calling the Washington DC Indonesian embassy, I guess they finally figured out that I would just need the 30 second screening at CGK upon arrival, that everyone does. Afterwards my doctor emailed a letter, but not quite word for word what the embassy requested. Luckily, I never had to test it out.

I still think you are bonkers (irresponsible) to travel.
It isn't just the risk to wife & child, it is what you could pick up along the way and transfer to others, there is good reasoning behind why places are closing the borders
I understand what you are saying BA and you can certainly make a good case for your position. At the same time, flights tend to be very empty right now, so I'm not sure a plane flight is worse than a trip to the grocery store.

I was just at the airport on the west side of Hawai'i Island (not to travel, was doing someone a favor) and overheard the workers talking about how flights had been coming in with 4 people or 6 people on the entire plane.

There was only 8-9 people on our short haul domestic flight. I had the long Transpac flight in first all to myself. And 7 people in business class NRT-CGK.

CGK was almost deserted last night. 20 employees to every passengers.

I understand what you are saying BA and you can certainly make a good case for your position. At the same time, flights tend to be very empty right now, so I'm not sure a plane flight is worse than a trip to the grocery store.

I was just at the airport on the west side of Hawai'i Island (not to travel, was doing someone a favor) and overheard the workers talking about how flights had been coming in with 4 people or 6 people on the entire plane.
I don't particularly have a problem with the actual flight- but one doesn't simply hop on a plane & jump in the seat - my issue is with the interactions in all of the public spaces in between, airports, airport bathrooms, waiting areas, rails on the stairs on entering exiting aircraft.
On long haul this can mean 3 or more airports, travellers get tired, when tired many of us subconsciously touch our faces, rub our eyes etc. Getting to the airport usually involves some sort of public transport.
That was what I meant.

I wouldnt bother, both Indo and US are gonna be a shitstorm.

I don't particularly have a problem with the actual flight- but one doesn't simply hop on a plane & jump in the seat - my issue is with the interactions in all of the public spaces in between, airports, airport bathrooms, waiting areas, rails on the stairs on entering exiting aircraft.
On long haul this can mean 3 or more airports, travellers get tired, when tired many of us subconsciously touch our faces, rub our eyes etc. Getting to the airport usually involves some sort of public transport.
That was what I meant.
I left Jakarta on Wednesday night with Garuda on a direct flight to Amsterdam. I decided to leave when I pretty much shut the company I run in Jakarta and realized I was going to be "stuck" in Jakarta for an extended period alone.
The flight experience was horrible. Plane was packed full of people desperate to get back to Europe as all their flight routes had closed. No social distancing at all in the airport and lots coughing without covering their mouths/ wearing masks. If I didn't have COVID-19 before leaving I probably picked it up on that flight!
So yes I agree with Bad-azz 100%!

If I didn't have COVID-19 before leaving I probably picked it up on that flight!

I got a chuckle out of this...

To be honest, I briefly considered bailing out of Indonesia, however, the reality is it's going to be pretty bad everywhere. Plus making last minute travel arrangements with 3 small children, the packed flights/airports, and the possibility of mandatory 14 days quarantine for all of us, moved the needle very much in favor for staying in Indonesia.

I got a chuckle out of this...

To be honest, I briefly considered bailing out of Indonesia, however, the reality is it's going to be pretty bad everywhere. Plus making last minute travel arrangements with 3 small children, the packed flights/airports, and the possibility of mandatory 14 days quarantine for all of us, moved the needle very much in favor for staying in Indonesia.
I think having family makes a big difference - I was travelling solo so easy for me to up sticks.
I made the decision very late (monday) and honestly spent most of Tuesday regretting making the booking. In the end I guessed I would regret not leaving when I could (only time will tell if that was the right choice). I'm in quarantine for 2 weeks now and after that I'll move back into my mums house in the country, by the sea (will be nice to experience an Irish spring again after 5 years in Jakarta).
My boyfriend flew back to Australia on Wednesday too. He had some mild symptoms (headache, runny nose and sort of a cough), he was tested and quarantined in Sydney. He just got his test results back - he's negative!

Glad to hear he is negative. Fortunately, you are going back to the emerald isle during Spring/Summer.

As often is the case, we were doing the opposite when coming to Indonesia. All 3 planes were 10-20% occupied. I had the whole first class cabin to myself flying to Tokyo.

CGK was like a ghost town when we arrived. 95% just employees. Tons of taxi’s, Silverbird, etc available.

My parents were scheduled to return to Indonesia early this month, and I asked them to stay. The ICU units in Jakarta are already at capacity, which means if you come down with a severe case of COVID-19 and need a respirator, your chance of getting it is slim to none. Since they’re in their 70’s and 80’s, they’re vulnerable to the disease.

USA has the highest number of confirmed cases in the world today, but they tend to be concentrated in larger cities. We live in a medium Midwest town where the hospitals can still keep up. Their odds are better here.

My parents were scheduled to return to Indonesia early this month, and I asked them to stay. The ICU units in Jakarta are already at capacity, which means if you come down with a severe case of COVID-19 and need a respirator, your chance of getting it is slim to none. Since they’re in their 70’s and 80’s, they’re vulnerable to the disease.

USA has the highest number of confirmed cases in the world today, but they tend to be concentrated in larger cities. We live in a medium Midwest town where the hospitals can still keep up. Their odds are better here.
Perhaps. While they have at this time available care staff, most Midwestern medium sized cities may have 2 or less resperators available. Best they confine themselves to their quarters except for necassary supplies.

Perhaps. While they have at this time available care staff, most Midwestern medium sized cities may have 2 or less resperators available. Best they confine themselves to their quarters except for necassary supplies.
It goes without saying that they’re self isolating. We’re not taking any unnecessary chances.

So, we wanted to self isolate in Jakarta for 14 days before heading to Bandung. We’ve been here for 8 days so far. Now it looks like Jakarta is going to be locked down?

So, we wanted to self isolate in Jakarta for 14 days before heading to Bandung. We’ve been here for 8 days so far. Now it looks like Jakarta is going to be locked down?
As is much of bdg.
You would likely have to take the mountain, non toll road route.
there is a reason for places locking down... basically to stop people moving about. :p

Indiana just released its number of ICU beds (1940) and ventilators (1177). It’s not a lot, but I think it’s still a lot more than what’s available in the entire DKI and its suburbs. Even without COVID-19, I’ve heard of cases in Jakarta where people died while waiting for an ICU bed to become available.

Nimbus, where in Indiana are you? I would think Indy, South Bend, Bloomington, and maybe Evansville or Fort Wayne will be where most people go, but you will have some people in Southern Indiana go Louiville.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James A