Women safety when in public

Really? I still think its low in Indonesia. I rarely feel that i have to hide valuables in a car for example but i know many people in USA who have had cars broken into and items stolen. Same with house break ins - they do happen but i feel there are more stories in UK or USA than here.

I think the shear number of people always around helps keep this low. Its hard to break in to a car or house when someone is always watching.

It depends heavily on where you live and the specific type of crimes. Pickpockets, snatchers, and muggers are quite rare in USA, but it’s fairly common on public mass transportation in Indonesia. Car breakins in public are rare in Indonesia because you pay a guy for every stinking parking spot outside your home, so there’s always somebody watching.

Residential burglary is almost unheard of in USA, but it’s very common in Jakarta. There’s a reason every house outside a satpam-patrolled gated community has security bars in its windows and a formidable fence. Even with this my uncle had his car stolen right out of his garage.

I know people who don’t bother locking their cars or even houses in America. Such a thing is utter folly in Indonesia. Americans still think that house invasions are unlikely to happen, so they raise a stink when it does. Most Indonesians assume that their house will get broken into if they fail to stay vigilant.

In public anything not nailed or bolted down is liable to disappear. Sometimes stuff still walks along with the bolts.

Property crime in general seems to be rising in America, but overall it’s still not comparable to Indonesia.

Last edited:
I've been robbed, stalked, spiked, groped (so many times I couldn't possibly count it - 100s of times),

I didn't know it is that bad now in the UK, experiencing it 100s of times (at your young age)!
I'm no fool - I know that there are dodgy taxi drivers/ criminals but in a megacity with 30m people these awful stories are rare and I refuse to live my life in unnecessary fear.

I always advise my foreign friends to take only Blue Bird or Pusaka, it will lower your risk significantly. There were stories of female passengers riding alone getting mugged or worse, it is rare but it happens.

It depends heavily on where you live and the specific type of crimes. Pickpockets, snatchers, and muggers are quite rare in USA, but it’s fairly common on public mass transportation in Indonesia. Car breakins in public are rare in Indonesia because you pay a guy for every stinking parking spot outside your home, so there’s always somebody watching.

Residential burglary is almost unheard of in USA, but it’s very common in Jakarta. There’s a reason every house outside a satpam-patrolled gated community has security bars in its windows and a formidable fence. Even with this my uncle had his car stolen right out of his garage.

I know people who don’t bother locking their cars or even houses in America. Such a thing is utter folly in Indonesia. Americans still think that house invasions are unlikely to happen, so they raise a stink when it does. Most Indonesians assume that their house will get broken into if they fail to stay vigilant.

In public anything not nailed or bolted down is liable to disappear. Sometimes stuff still walks along with the bolts.

Property crime in general seems to be rising in America, but overall it’s still not comparable to Indonesia.

That's why we always have guard dogs, more reliable than human or CCTV (what's the use of CCTV if crime happened already, prevention is better).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterRodney
Back
Top Bottom